Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 19 20 >
Topic Options
#376057 - 11/22/13 01:20 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
If only technics would get back into the AK business ... frown mad

Sweet dreams are those...

It feels however that with technics all innovation left the arranger market.

but aren't many iof the design engineers from technics working at other companies making KB's confused1

#376067 - 11/22/13 02:11 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
Now the Wersi name is under professional ownership (Music Store) they are starting to get the open system back on track, with the New Sonic having pretty much everything anybody could wish for, and in standard mode can still be used effectively by the OOTB (Easy Play) users out there, however switch to Expert mode and it effectively becomes a Workstation. (According to the details published so far all he sounds and styles for it have been done by professional musicians, programmers and style designers, which is something Wersi could never afford when it was on its own)
Full details here

As to whether the Sonic will filter down into just a keyboard (Which without its organ incumbents should theoretically be able to be produced for a similar price as a TOTL Arranger) is unknown at present, however I would be surprised if they didn’t. (Fingers crossed)

The Pegasus Wing was designed to compete with the Easy Play Arranger market, (Press a button and everything is done for you) which it does well (It’s also way cheaper than the TOTL Arrangers from Ketron, Yamaha etc.) and still retains the full upgradability of the OAS system. (If demand was proved there is no reason all the professional features couldn’t be added to it)

The current organ system (Introduced in 2000) is also still going with continual improvements. (Unlike the old days when features were added whether they were needed or not, Music Store makes sure the update gives a much improved experience)

Bill

Actually the sonic is a great instrument.... Sadly it proves also that oas isnt as open as we want it to be, still you can only use 4 vsts...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#376068 - 11/22/13 02:37 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bachus

If you look at the final specification of the Sonic here you will find as well as getting a 13" screen, it can run 16 VSTi & Effects simultaneously. (although I would assume only in expert mode, with the 4 limitation being for the less experienced users)

Bill

#376070 - 11/22/13 02:54 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: ianmcnll]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Again, it's the "perceived value" that buyers see in Wersi, just as the respective buyers in Yamaha Tyros, Korg PA, and Ketron Audya...it's just that people naturally have different ideas of what perceived value means to them.

For some, it's owning a Wersi, with all the bells and whistles and lights, and being able to add them at will, and also, a certain "exclusivity" in ownership.

Yes, they are no doubt stunning values in some people's eyes, though I think the market is rather small...of course, that just adds to the "exclusivity" factor.

It would be nice to get a realistic demo played by one of our own resident SZ'ers who has tweaked and added to his Wersi, and would be only too glad (and rightly proud) to let the rest of us hear what he hears that impressed him so much to invest in the instrument.

Ian

Although I started off with organs in the late 70s, by the late 80s technology of all keyboards were moving too slow for me, so I moved over to a total computer based system which was way in advance of any keyboard on the market, (And they still are) and only moved back to an all in one unit when an instrument came out that allowed me to use computer software on-board. (This is the reason no keyboard released so far (Except the Kronos which is effectively a pre-set VSTi player) has had even the slightest wow factor for me, as there is just nothing new in them that hasn’t been out for years in the pro world)

But then that’s just me, and I can understand how those that have not used computer based systems would be impressed by the new arranger keyboard that manufactures release.

Bill

#376073 - 11/22/13 03:31 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I can understand how someone could be impressed with a total computer based system...and, I can also understand why some would use them, but if you are so impressed by the system you are using, why won't you share it with SZ.

It's like telling us you have a Ferrari, but you won't take your friends for a drive so they can experience it firsthand, and also share in your joy.

But, all we get is Wersi's specifications, features, and how it beats everything else, but we never hear the results of how you use it in your music...just why you do.

I always believed the "Wow!" factor was in how the instrument's features and sounds are used by the player in his music productions...specs can only tell us what the keyboard can allegedly do....the music the owner/player creates on it will tell us what it can actually do.

So far we haven't heard either your or Ensnareyou's Abacus do anything remotely approaching what's been posted here by Korg PA3X, Yamaha Tyros5, or Ketron Audya arrangers, so don't be offended if we are a tad skeptical.

Ian

#376089 - 11/22/13 06:43 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Bachus
If only technics would get back into the AK business ... frown mad

Sweet dreams are those...
It feels however that with technics all innovation left the arranger market.

but aren't many of the design engineers from technics working at other companies making KB's confused1

That may be true, Donny, and they may be responsible for what we see in today's KBs ... but I would think that patents prevent them from DUPLICATING some of the innovations of technics ...
I know I've said this several times before, but down through the years I would get a kick out of reading posts where the writer is wishing his/her KB had a certain feature and thinking - gee, my kn6000 has that ...

Edited by tony mads usa (11/22/13 06:43 PM)

#376091 - 11/22/13 06:55 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Bachus,

The Sonic as Bill states is not limited to 4 VST's, it can do 16. Wersi's "Plug In Host" was setup so the average user could easily install and use four of their favorite VST's. Once installed, the system sees them as native. You simply place presets on any program keys/buttons you specify or scroll through the sounds as a set list. It's quite simple really.

You can load more than 4 VST's in the Abacus, Louvre, Verona, etc., but doing so requires you to load and run them from a different host rather than Wersi's built in host. This is more tricky to set up but not difficult for those saavy with computer based VST programs.

As with any VST based system, how many you can utilize at once is based upon CPU power and RAM. Programs like Omnishpere are memory and CPU hogs and can tax any high end system quickly. Don't expect to run multiple channels of Omnishpere, EW Strings, Hollywood Strings, BFD, and other memory intense programs at once. That isn't viable on any computer platform which is why major film composers dedicate a single computer to ine or two VST's. The fact Wersi allows you to integrate these VST's into OAS is a major plus.

#376092 - 11/22/13 07:03 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Tony,

Technics certainly was cutting edge and I really enjoyed their TOTL products. It was a sad day when they closed up shop. Had they continued, I'm certain they'd have gone to open format.

The color screen, synthesis features, sequencer, real time controls, and expansion cards were fantastic. I had both the KN6000 and KN6500 expanded and loved them. I had planned on getting a KN7000 but after playing it I didn't see significant enough changes to warrant the purchase. I subsequently went with Wersi and have never looked back.

If Technics were to go back into the keyboard/arranger market I'd definitely give their products strong consideration.

#376094 - 11/22/13 07:16 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

I know I've said this several times before, but down through the years I would get a kick out of reading posts where the writer is wishing his/her KB had a certain feature and thinking - gee, my kn6000 has that ...

I remember when it was said that Technics was the arranger that other companies looked up to. We had a local Technics dealer who did okay, but he wasn't strong on promoting arrangers as his shop dealt mainly with the Celtic/Scottish music scene, such as fiddles, mandolins, accordions etc.

That was where I first played one, and I remember that it had on-bass chording, and the styles were great, especially the waltzes, which were not too good on the Yamaha at that time.

The styles weren't busy either, but were very musical.

It is a shame Technics have gone...a real shame.

Ian

#376095 - 11/22/13 07:18 PM Re: The open arrangers [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Bill,

The Kronos was both a step forward as well as a few steps back compared to the Oasys. As a former Oasys owner I truly loved the sound and real time controls of the instrument. What I didn't like was the limited abilities to use it as a full blown workstation as it was touted. I hung around and waited for updates that never came to fruition. Once I saw the writing on the wall I knew Korg was going to pull the plug so I bailed on the Oasys before prices tanked.

It was very sad really. Having owned both the Oasys and Wersi I tried to get Korg to integrate similar features so the Oasys would become a monster. Rather than move forward they decided instead to trickle Oasys features down to lesser instruments to increase sales in lower priced instruments. Whatever the successor of Kronos is I hope its a major step forward. Korg is definitely on the right path.

Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online