SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#376085 - 11/22/13 05:44 PM Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :)
DannyUK Offline

I was too young to own this but I remember my older cousin bringing this around our house and I was amazed by it ! laugh From then on I always wanted to own a keyboard until I got a job and was able to afford my own first keyboard - the Yamaha PSS-790!

#376086 - 11/22/13 06:03 PM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Man, that sounds so cheesy nowadays, Danny, but I do remember seeing the ads in Keyboard Magazine. They started getting serious when they came out with the CZ-101 Phase Distortion mini synth, and that spawned a whole bunch of even more advanced instruments ending with the CZ-1 and VZ-1 that many pros used. Now, with PK-5S they are a force to be reckoned with again as far as synths go.

In the early 90's, I had the PSS-795 that had a real Vector Synth, allowing up to 4 patches to be combined. It had midi in/out so could be played with regular keys, and a sequencer.

What was the first advanced arranger you owned with full sized keys?

Ian

#376087 - 11/22/13 06:21 PM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: ianmcnll]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Ian

My first full size was a PSR-410 display model that I got exceptionally cheap (I was only a junior in IT still and couldn't afford anything expensive), it wasn't in the best of conditions which is why it was cheap but I really wanted it because it would have been my first "big" jump, the only thing I recall that I didn't like about it was that it didn't have any DSP effects and everything sounded really bland compared to the 510 which my dad owned at the time.

When I was able to afford something decent (albeit on loan), I purchased a PSR620 and I thought it was fantastic. At this stage I wasn't that educated in what else was available and our local stores didn't really supply anything overly expensive. It wasn't until I visited a Yamaha keyboard shop in Milton Keynes (I can't for the life of me remember what the shop was called in the mid 90's), but there I saw the PSR-8000 and I had to get one at all costs, the keyboard just blew me away completely, from the sounds, to the styles, to the sound system and build quality, everything was pure class. It was from here I've always remained with TOTL keyboards until recently where I've added a PSR-S950 because I wanted a more portable Tyros 3.

After the 8000 I did a little detour owning keyboards from GEM, Solton & Korg but went back to Yamaha. I have enjoyed every single keyboard I've owned but there was always something about Yamaha that attracted me back, always.

Edited by DannyUK (11/22/13 06:26 PM)

#376088 - 11/22/13 06:30 PM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: DannyUK]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Regardless, it was rude of her to throw it in the trash ...
Ah, this 'disposable' society ...

But she looked good walking away ... bounce

Edited by tony mads usa (11/22/13 06:31 PM)

#376090 - 11/22/13 06:54 PM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: DannyUK

Ian

It wasn't until I visited a Yamaha keyboard shop in Milton Keynes (I can't for the life of me remember what the shop was called in the mid 90's), but there I saw the PSR-8000 and I had to get one at all costs, the keyboard just blew me away completely, from the sounds, to the styles, to the sound system and build quality, everything was pure class. It was from here I've always remained with TOTL keyboards until recently where I've added a PSR-S950 because I wanted a more portable Tyros 3.

After the 8000 I did a little detour owning keyboards from GEM, Solton & Korg but went back to Yamaha. I have enjoyed every single keyboard I've owned but there was always something about Yamaha that attracted me back, always.

I remember the 510 and 410 very well...I actually had the 510, which was a little gem of an instrument, and one of the first PSR with on bass chording. The styles on both 410 and 510 were great!

I went to a PSR-1700 after that one, and then, like you, I fell in love with the PSR-8000 when I saw it at a Yamaha "Keys To Success" in Scarborough Ontario. I had that keyboard for quite a few years, actually buying a second one as I was playing very often and needed a backup.

I feel that the PSR-8000 was when Yamaha really got serious with the competition.

Like you as well, I went to mid-range for a time with the PSR-2000, 3000, S900, S910...lucky to have them all at dealer cost price as I was a clinician. Then the Tyros4 did the same thing the PSR-8000 did to me...and now I have one.

I have always liked Yamaha's sound, even before I worked for them, and although I also dabbled with other brands, I always felt most comfortable and at home with Yamaha.

Danny, are you doing any gigging?

Ian

#376093 - 11/22/13 07:13 PM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: ianmcnll]
DannyUK Offline

I remember the 510 and 410 very well...I actually had the 510, which was a little gem of an instrument, and one of the first PSR with on bass chording. The styles on both 410 and 510 were great!

I went to a PSR-1700 after that one, and then, like you, I fell in love with the PSR-8000 when I saw it at a Yamaha "Keys To Success" in Scarborough Ontario. I had that keyboard for quite a few years, actually buying a second one as I was playing very often and needed a backup.

I feel that the PSR-8000 was when Yamaha really got serious with the competition.

Like you as well, I went to mid-range for a time with the PSR-2000, 3000, S900, S910...lucky to have them all at dealer cost price as I was a clinician. Then the Tyros4 did the same thing the PSR-8000 did to me...and now I have one.

I have always liked Yamaha's sound, even before I worked for them, and although I also dabbled with other brands, I always felt most comfortable and at home with Yamaha.

Danny, are you doing any gigging?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I remembered the shop I bought the PSR-8000 from, it was Chappell's in Milton Keynes, it doesn't exist any longer, I think they have a Yamaha Kemble place now but I've never been to that one.

I remember a feature that I really enjoyed on the 8000 was the virtual arranger where it gave the 7th chord inversions (I think) to each style, it really made a difference, shame they took that feature away.

Unfortunately there's nothing local to me anymore and I'd have to travel out of town. Most of my purchases have been online and I took a risk with GEM & Solton. I was really going into the unknown there but wasn't disappointed apart from both of those keyboards developing faults (GEM WK6 the motherboard died and with the Solton X1 the display went on it). I also owned a GEM WX2 (second edition) but I gave it to my sister.

The three Korg keyboards I owned (i30, PA-80 & PA1X) were superb and never hit any problems, the same as with all my Yamaha's.

As for gigging, I've never gigged myself but I have assisted my dad on his gigs, nothing major. I have occasionally played in Church a few times in the past to fill in for the main pianist that's when I was using the PSR-620.

One keyboard that I really always wanted to own was a PSR-730, it looks really slick. I could probably get a cheap one somewhere but really it wouldn't be for anything other than satisfying my curiosity, but it does look slick.

It's a shame I missed out on Technics keyboards, my dad owned one and I remember it sounding awesome, I can't remember the model but it was a MOTL range.

Edited by DannyUK (11/22/13 07:19 PM)

#376096 - 11/22/13 07:30 PM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: DannyUK

One keyboard that I really always wanted to own was a PSR-730, it looks really slick. I could probably get a cheap one somewhere but really it wouldn't be for anything other than satisfying my curiosity, but it does look slick.

I had a PSR-730 at home for a few months as a demo...it was basically a smaller version of the PSR-8000, and it had the Virtual Arranger feature as well...I also thought it was a pretty cool feature.

I do remember one glaring problem, at least for me...if you used a Registration, and then decided to transpose, let's say down a few semi-tones, and started to play, if you went to another registration, the instrument would go back zero transposition. You basically had to assign/store all four (I believe that how many) regs to the new key.

I'm not sure if it was ever fixed on later models...I had a very early production model.

It didn't matter if the Freeze was on or off.

Otherwise, it sounded very much like the 8000...very warm and full. Plus, it looked great!

Ian

#376099 - 11/22/13 11:28 PM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

I have just been on Dikipedia and typed in "Tyros 5" and nothing, not a squeak confused2 even tried "Tyros 5 + real drums" still nothing wink

#376101 - 11/23/13 12:01 AM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: Tony Hughes]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

All very well but was this not about the Casio VL-1 ?

Actually I had one ( still have come to think of it) and used it on some recordings. I have uploaded one of those so brace yourselves ! smile

I used two Sony tape recorders to pingpong the recordings. The drums are from an L.P. on which an LA session drummer did his stuff ( series of five called DrumDrops) so you had to play along with the drummer so to speak. The leadsinging was my girfriend's at the time.....those were the days smile

Mind you my current PA800 and Tyros 4 don't sound too bad either smile smile

https://app.box.com/s/btrfdd92o0l6jhnojw63

regards,
John

#376102 - 11/23/13 02:24 AM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: ianmcnll]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

Ian

Never really had a dedicated arranger as I moved from organ to controller keyboard and computer software in the late 80s, I did dabble with a Yamaha DGX300 (I think that was the number) but soon got rid of it as the sounds were naff (As were all arrangers at the time) compared to what I was used to.

The only other one is the Wersi Abacus which I bought used around 2003, (Which is really a single manual organ rather than an arranger) as it would go in the lounge without complaints and I could still run my computer software on it. (It also had the OX7 Drawbars (Made by Blue Chip) on-board which I enjoy as it is the only module that can give you the Euro Sound, rather than the traditional Hammond/Vox/Farfisa that other emulators give you)

One day there may be an arranger that makes be go “wow” (A Korg Kronos with an arranger section would be a good start) but currently there is nothing out there from any manufacture that floats my boat. (The nearest is probably the Korg PA3x (just wish it used Roland Styles though)

As to the VL1 I do remember it, but it was naff even when it was launched (Sort of thing you gave as a present to somebody you didn’t like, but they had something you wanted) so never took any interest in it.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online