SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#376294 - 11/24/13 01:56 PM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: ianmcnll]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Bill, how many sounds can you load in a multi in kontakt?
This will be your sound module

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#376308 - 11/24/13 04:07 PM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: DAN.2000]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
Bill, how many sounds can you load in a multi in kontakt?
This will be your sound module

Hi Dan

A Multi can have 128 sounds per bank, but am not sure about the maximum number of banks. (I have never needed more than 16)

NOTE: The total number of sounds that can be loaded at one time will be determined by how much Ram memory you have in the computer, the speed of the HDD and the size of the samples.

Hope this helps

Bill

#376342 - 11/25/13 02:49 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
TheWolf Offline

Loc: Finland

problem with these software synths is always the latency. Sure it's simple to install the crap and load in a driver, hook up the midi.. but for live play, the latency (ie. the time it takes for an actual sound to be heard from your speaker set after you pressed a key on your keyboard/midi controller) tends to be too many milliseconds for these to be of any real use. ASIO compatible sound hardware is of course mandatory, but even so, latencies will vary hugely. You need to invest in very expensive dedicated sound hardware to get near-zero delay.

#376344 - 11/25/13 03:01 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
I get near zero latency with 99% of new windows 7/8 computer and the vArranger SF2 virtual synth. without dedicated sound card !

Bill, can you load big soundfonts with Kontakt, and it will select the sounds immediately by program change?

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#376362 - 11/25/13 09:12 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Latency has never been an issue for me on my Wersi. Probably the reason Wersi utilizes a fast CPU and decent amount of RAM. In addition OAS 7 does run a custom Scope card as its sound engine which has its own processors as well, therefore minimizing taxing of the PC's CPU.

Be advised... All VST's aren't created equal and some can be major CPU hogs taxing even the fastest CPU's. This is why you don't get crazy and try and run too many of these VST's in your system. Just because you have a VST host that supports 16 or more VST's, don't be foolish enough to believe you're going to run that many at once and not have issues, latency inclusive.

#376364 - 11/25/13 09:30 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: DAN.2000]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
I get near zero latency with 99% of new windows 7/8 computer and the vArranger SF2 virtual synth. without dedicated sound card !

Bill, can you load big soundfonts with Kontakt, and it will select the sounds immediately by program change?

Hi Dan

It will import Soundfont 2 (sf2) however as it is not native to Kotakt there may be some work involved.

Yes, once the soundfont is stored in the Database it can be selected like any other.

I suggest you download the free Komplete Players here as it includes the full manual in various languages.

Hope this helps

Bill

#376409 - 11/25/13 11:50 PM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Ensnareyou]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Ensnareyou
Latency has never been an issue for me on my Wersi. Probably the reason Wersi utilizes a fast CPU and decent amount of RAM. In addition OAS 7 does run a custom Scope card as its sound engine which has its own processors as well, therefore minimizing taxing of the PC's CPU.

Be advised... All VST's aren't created equal and some can be major CPU hogs taxing even the fastest CPU's. This is why you don't get crazy and try and run too many of these VST's in your system. Just because you have a VST host that supports 16 or more VST's, don't be foolish enough to believe you're going to run that many at once and not have issues, latency inclusive.

With the right asio drivers lattency is acceptable, still there but not noticable under windows..

However if you want to have real time processing, and thats what you want in a system like this, you either want to use VxWorks (Most embeded systems use this) or a real time enable Linux Kernel. Since under VxWorks you would never be able to run VST's all that leaves us with is Linux or MAC OSX (which is nothing but a shell on top of a Unix kernel) and those VSt's that run natively (Not those that require WINE)

What i meant to say, that you can not garranty low lattency under windows when there is a high system load, you can however guarrantee them under a Linux/Unix kernel that is patched for real time processing.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#376465 - 11/26/13 12:37 PM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Adding a VSTi to flesh out an arranger is one thing, but using a VSTi to be the ENTIRE sound source for something like vArranger is another kettle of fish altogether.

This is where the months (if not years) that the hardware arranger makers spend balancing the sounds in an arranger pays off. I totally disagree with the earlier denial that arranger's soundsets are not well balanced already. And I will happily reach for any sound in my BK-9 in the middle of a performance, and not have my heart in my mouth that it will come out the speakers like a foghorn, or be inaudible. I challenge you to be able to do that with ANY full VSTi without massive work, if you want to be able to call up any sound in its library.

I can take any piano part, and replace it with any other piano, any string patch and replace it with any other, take a clarinet and change it to a flute, etc. etc., and I NEVER have to touch the volume slider for the Part. And that includes the MFX too! About the only thing that can bite me are some of the lead guitar patches, where the MFX amp sim boosts it a lot (to sound guitaristic, it pays to lower the guitar level and let the MFX do the work on a lower level signal).

I can take a style done on the rock drums, press a button, and now it's on a brush kit, or a techno 909 type kit, and I don't have to touch a thing. Try that on a VSTi OOTB.

#376523 - 11/27/13 08:55 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Diki,

A completely VST PC based instrument would be and is a complex undertaking I wouldn't recommend to all but a few. The Wersi is nothing like using a PC based VST arranger and if it were, I'd never have purchased it. Although I use computers every day and make my living using the tools that run on them, I despise them. They're unintuitive, complex, and unless flanked by the appropriate sound cards, outboard gear, and ancillary gear, they sound like sh@&.

On my Wersi the VST's I'm hosting run as if they are native to the instrument. I save sounds to the same locations as factory sounds and simply switch between them as you would on your hardware arranger. Comparing the Wersi to a PC based system is like comparing Yamaha's OS to Roland's OS.

#376618 - 11/28/13 10:05 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So... if it's so good, let us hear YOU play it...

Theory is one thing. Practice is another.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online