SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#376239 - 11/24/13 03:53 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: DAN.2000]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
The only problem with Native Instruments, is that you can't change sounds by sending a MIDI Bank/Program Change message.

Hi Dan

In that case I am doing the impossible on my Abacus as that’s how I change the sounds with my NI products. (One of the advantages of having an integrated Host, however after having said that I can do the same with Midi Out)

Perhaps you haven’t got round to using Multis yet, (These also load all the sounds you have setup on start-up so there is no delay when switching sounds) plus products like FM8, Absinthe etc. have it setup as soon as you load it in.

Bill

#376242 - 11/24/13 04:16 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: abacus]
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
In my view this forum is called 'general arranger keyboard forum' but the VST chit-chat has nothing to do with kb's!
Machines that can run VST's more or less are ordinary computers (PC's) that can even run Windows Office rolleyes
The only 'connection' is MIDI.

It's pretty weird some guys think they do better tweaking than dozens of professional engineers.

I totally agree with Diki.

#376244 - 11/24/13 04:38 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

This thread currently has 548 views so people are interested, also the open arranger thread (Which can be related to this thread) has 1588 views.

Bill

#376249 - 11/24/13 05:03 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: kla4]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: kla4
In my view this forum is called 'general arranger keyboard forum' but the VST chit-chat has nothing to do with kb's!
Machines that can run VST's more or less are ordinary computers (PC's) that can even run Windows Office rolleyes
The only 'connection' is MIDI.

It's pretty weird some guys think they do better tweaking than dozens of professional engineers.

I totally agree with Diki.

Wersi arrangers run VSt´s, so they are directly related to arrangers. We are discussing yamaha expansion packs and sounds overhere, you can see VST´s as sound expansions for Wersi.

Also mediastaion runs VST´s but we never knew if it was an arranger or a synth workstation or somehting in between. They seized production, i think when they realised that they didnt have the required budget to hire top level sound engineers.

I still am convinced, vsts will have a future in the instruments of the future including TOTL arrangers. many vsts work as intuitive as setting sounds up on a tyros keyboard arranger.

But maybe you should stick to the 581 Tyros5 topics if you are not up for this discussion.

Edited by Bachus (11/24/13 05:09 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#376253 - 11/24/13 05:57 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Sometimes, in an arranger track there is a program change message.

Of use a flute in variation 1, a brass in variation 4...

vArranger sends Program changes, but what your NI VST will do?

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#376262 - 11/24/13 07:43 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: DAN.2000]
billyhank Offline

Adding VST to a keyboard is the same as adding a separate tone module in my view - and why not - and why not discuss it here?

Big plus - adding new sounds without needing to buy a new keyboard.

Bill G

#376263 - 11/24/13 07:51 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: DAN.2000]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
Sometimes, in an arranger track there is a program change message.

Of use a flute in variation 1, a brass in variation 4...

vArranger sends Program changes, but what your NI VST will do?

Hi Dan

I will use Kontakt as an example:

Assuming you have a suitable Flute & Brass sound set up in a Multi, then you can just switch between them using the bank/program change instruction the same as if using the on-board sounds, any sound modifications can be done automatically by cc codes when you select the sound. (I name my voices in the VST Host the same as the VST sound (For convenience) and program them with the appropriate Bank/Program change code, (And if required cc codes) then save it in the OAS database, thus it becomes just like selecting any on-board sound from the OAS database, and I can also do the same with Midi using the Midi Sound Banks)

Example: I have Kontakt setup in my host, (It could be any host) with Piano on program 001 & Guitar on program 030, from the arranger edit panel I just select the voice I want to change then select the voice I want to change it too from the VST Sound list (Self-Created) and the appropriate sound from the VST (Piano) for variation 1 is automatically selected, then for variation 4 I select the Guitar, I now save the style as a user style, and when I choose the style with variation 1 the VST Piano is automatically selected and played, and when I switch to Variation 4 the Guitar is automatically selected and played, there is no delay as the Multi has the sounds already loaded in.

Hope this helps

Bill

#376264 - 11/24/13 07:59 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm with Bill G. on this one.

Adding sounds to an arranger can take place in various forms, so there's certainly nothing wrong with discussing it here. I find it very interesting.

It would be especially beneficial if we could actually hear how these VST's sound/work in the owner's instruments mentioned above...Wersi Abacus for example.

However, since some users are, by their own admission, stronger "tweakers" rather than "players", it's perfectly understandable that demos may not be forthcoming.

Thanks for the link to Native Instruments and the free Kontakt Player, Billy Abacus.

Ian

#376271 - 11/24/13 10:17 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I'm with Bill G. on this one.

Adding sounds to an arranger can take place in various forms, so there's certainly nothing wrong with discussing it here. I find it very interesting.

It would be especially beneficial if we could actually hear how these VST's sound/work in the owner's instruments mentioned above...Wersi Abacus for example.

However, since some users are, by their own admission, stronger "tweakers" rather than "players", it's perfectly understandable that demos may not be forthcoming.

Thanks for the link to Native Instruments and the free Kontakt Player, Billy Abacus.

Ian

If you want to know how vsts sound, listen to any demo of that vst on youtube.

If you want to hear a vst incorporated in a style, goos luck, even on arrangers like wersi OAS, v-arranger, lionstracs... Styles use the default sounds because they are ballanced for these styles.

Altough wersis sound source has allways been a vst ( hypersonic 2 nowerdays) . And in that case you will find out that for samplers and sample players its allways the quallity of the samples that counts as these days there are no bad samplers anymore...

As for hypersonic 2 it supports layered sounds and legato play in the same way as yamaha Sa and sa2 voices.

VSTs are mostly used for mainhand piano and solo voices. I currently have an audya rack / korg kronos/ V- synth/ PC VST setup. And i never felt the need of adding any vst/kronos/vsynth sound to the audya arrangements. Because the audya is not the ideal system to throw style tracks over midi out....

And as said before, most wersi players are real organ players and prefer lfthand rghthand peddalboard with just a drumtrack in the background.

Edited by Bachus (11/24/13 10:20 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#376272 - 11/24/13 10:38 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks Bachus. I was hoping to hear either Billy's or Ensnareyou's Abacus or the newer model of it, playing these samples in the styles and the right and left hand.

Even just playing the styles alone, without RH, but playing a few chords, and perhaps some inversions.

I understand your post, and appreciate the explanation, but I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed as those involved in this thread are very enthusiastic about them on their personal instruments.

But, I always say, "There's no harm in asking...the worst that can happen is that the answer will be 'No'"

I can live with that, no problem.

Thanks again,

Ian

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online