SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#375189 - 11/13/13 09:32 PM Handy Tyros 4 - Tyros 5 comparison outline
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Here is another handy comparison between the new Tyros 5 and the a Tyros 4. I am adding the new names of the Voices, Styles, and Multipads that were changed or added from the Tyros 4 to the new Tyros 5. This with give a quick glance of what is new at least by name. Of course this doesn't mean that any Voice, Style, or Multipad of the identical Tyros 4 name wasn't changed or updated. I did a similar comparison between the Tyros 3 and Tyros 4 to help me decide last time to upgrade to a new Tyros. Note: Subject to possible errors, only a guideline comparison.

New Voices (Panel)
Piano
UprightPiano, PopUpright, 70sBalladPiano, ChillOutPiano, Grand1Octave, Grand2Octave, Upright1octave, Upright2octave, and SaloonUpright.

E.Piano
SuitcaseHard, SuitcaseSoft, ClaviFunk, SuitcaseBallad, SuitcasePhaser, SuitcaseDrive, SuitcaseTremolo, SuitcaseJazz, TX-EPBright, TX-EPMellow, TX-EPWarm, SuitcaseWarmth, CP80Stage, VintageEPDrive, and ClaviDrive.

Organ
RotoryDrive, HomeOrganTromb, HomeOrganClari, HomeOrganCello, HomeOrganE.Horn, HomeOrganCornet, HomeOrganViolin, HomeOrganKinura, VintageAccomp1, VintageAccomp2, VintageAccomp3, VintageAccomp4, VintageAccomp5, EuroAccomp1, EuroAccomp2, EuroAccomp3, HomeAccomp1, HomeAccomp2, SeasideOrgan, TheatreOrganTpt, Chrysoglott, TheatreOrgGlock, TheatreOrgXylo, TheatreOrgChime, and TheatreOrgHarp.

Strings
RomanceStrings, Real1stViolins, Real2ndViolins, RealViolas, RealCello, StringQuartet, Classic1stVln, Classic2ndVln, ClassicViolas, ClassicCellos, and RealStringPad.

Choir
ForteChoirOoh and ForteChoirAah.

Brass
MuteTrumpet (S.Art2!), Trombone (S.Art2!), OrchTrumpets, OrchTrombones, OrchHorns, OrchTpts&Tbns1, OrchTpts&Tbns2, PopHnsDynamic, PopHnsDynShake, PopHnsMellow, PopHnsBright, PopHnsAccent, PopHnsCresc, PopHnsMWCresc, HornsFallDoitSw, HornsFallSw, PopHnsMWSwell, SwingHnsMute, WarnHnsSection, BrightHnsSection, BalladBrass, OrchTrumptsFast, OrchTrombsFast, OrchHornsFast, OrchBrassOct, OrchHorn&Tbns, SymphonyHorns3, SymphonyHrsFast, OrchHornPad, and CollieryBand.

Woodwind
ClassicalFlute (S.Art2!), JazzFlute (S.Art2!), and TenorSax (S.Art2!).

A. Guitar
SteelAcoustic, SteelGtrTwin1, SteelGtrTwin2, ChickenPickGtr, 12StringGtrTwin, SpanishGuitar, SpanishElectAc, ElectroAcoustic, SteelAcoustic, ChickPickSwitch, 12StringStrum, SlideSpanishGtr, Hackbrett, Zither1, Zither2, and Shamisen.

E. Guitar
SoloKing, RhythmKing, BigCombo, ClassicStack, VintageDistFull, VintageDistSolo, VintDistStage, VintageHeavy, VintDriveWah, StageLead, BluesBright, BluesyFingers, BluesyNight, OldiesGuitar, VintShortDelay, VintWarmDrive, BluesSlapSlide, VintageMutedGt, PureVintage, RoughFingers, CleanFingers, CtryPickDrive, CtryPickVintage, ShadowedGuitar, LiteChorus, VintageSpring, JazzVintage, JazzArtist, JazzCombo, JazzClean, and PedalSteelAmp.

Bass
BPFBuzz, WobbleMW, RampBassMW, SquarePluckMW, DeepSubMW, ModernPop, MultiSawBass, BriteDubBass, Pulse&Saw, TwentyFive, PunchySquare, Softwood, PunchyDX, DarkSeqBass, PumpingSaw, and PumpingSquare.

Percussion
Vibes&Flutes.

Drumkit
PopLatinKit2, and CymbalKit.

Accordion
No new voice names, but both the Tyros 4 Harmonica (S.Art2!), and the BluesHarp (S.Art2!) are still there and are awesome S.Art2! voices in this category. Isn't to say that voices with same Tyros 4 names weren't reworked or improved.

Pad
Maybe a couple of new ones, but Tyros 4 names pretty much all there.

Synth
Most, if not all the Tyros 4 names still there. Maybe worth mentioning a few new MW S.Art! voices, but anyone's guess what they sound like, SquareStackMW, CoolHiPaMW, WheelTechMW, ReDoublingMW, FourStackMW, and NuLineMW.

OrganWorld
Category
Vintage
Organ Flute type - OrganFlutes, USDSmile, OrganPops, RockOrgan, GospelTruth, FunkOrgan, ClaviBars, and JazzSquabble

Home
Organ Flute type - HomeOrgBallad, Sixteen&Odds, HomeTheatre, HomeOrganJazz, HollowTibias, HomeOrganEvens, HomeOrgWarmth, and HomeFullOrgan.

Euro
Organ Flute type - EuroPerc, BalladEuro, EuroReeds, EvenWarmth, BrightEuro, EuroPop, FullEuro, and EuroMelodic.

Concert
LieblichGedackt, Diapason, Claribel8&Flute4, SoftReeds, GrandJeu, FondsEtAnches, OrganoPleno, and Tutti.

Theatre
Tibia&Vox, OpenTibias, GambaCeleste, FullTheatre1, FullTheatre2, FullTheatre3, FluteAccomp, and StringsAccomp.

Ensemble Voices
Category
Brass
Eighteen Brass Panel names here, plus these following new voice names - EnsTrumpet1, EnsTrumpet2, EnsTrumpet1SK, EnsTrumpet2SK, EnsTrombone, and EnsTromboneSK.

Strings
Eighteen of the same String Panel voice names.

WoodWinds
Sixteen Woodwinds Panel voice names, plus - EnsSopranoSax, EnsSopranoGR, EnsTenorSax, EnsTenorSaxSK, and EnsTenorSaxGR.

Choir
Nineteen Choir Panel voice names.

Styles
Category
Pop&Rock
CanadianRock, BritRockPop, 80sRockAnthem, BritRockAnthem, and USRockShuffle. (Note: No information to which styles are Audio Styles, but I am sure most if not all styles have been reworked and with added new SA voices etc.)

Ballad
BritPopDiva and 6-8PopBallad.

Dance
BigRoom, HardClub, USClubDance, ClubRiddim, and RetroDiscoHouse.

Swing&Jazz
CoolJazzClub, and UpTempoSwing. (Note: Only two new style names here, but a sure bet that both the Swing&Jazz and the R&B categories have been extensively reworked with Audio and SA parts.)

R&B
AcousticBlues, BluesShuffle, 50sRock&Roll, and R&BPopDiva.

Country
NewBluegrass, EasyCountry1, and EasyCountry2. (Note: More than likely most of the new names contain the new Audio parts. Yamaha had plenty of nice new guitars and effects to rework the styles in this category.)

Latin
CoolBossa, PopChaCha, SpanishRumba, PopFlamencos, TangoFlamencos, and Bomba1. (Note: A strong category to add Yamaha's great new Brass, Guitar, and Audio parts.)

Ballroom
TheatreShowtime. (Note: Gee, I wonder if Yamaha happens to add the new fabulous Theatre Organ voices to this category?)

Movie&Show
TapDanceSwing, Toccata, ChoralHymn, ComtempHorns, and PromsMarch. (Note: OK, the Tyros 4 also has the TapDanceSwing style, but the new Tyros 5 version is superb with the new Audio part heard in a demo.)

Entertainer
RockSchlager1, RockSchlager2, RoseDisco, SwingSchlager, YoungFox, YoungBallad, Helloshuffle, and ModernSchlager.

World
ScottishPolka, Caribbean. (Note: Interesting, the Caribbean style is in the Entertainer category on my Tyros 4. Not sure if it is a completely new style.)

Multipads

Some new Multipad names here, but I'm sure plenty of the others have been reworked plus we now have the new Multipad Audio feature. New Multipad names that are not on the Tyros 4 are TwinsBsChdSlow, SteelBsChdSlow1, SteelBsChdSlow2, SteelBsChdFast, Twin8BtArp, Steel8BtArp, Twin16BtStrum, Steel16BtStrum, Twin16BtArp, Steel16BtArp, A.GtrStrum, FlamencoGtr2, Rasgueo, Twin6-8Strum, Steel6-8Strum, Twin6-8Arp, Steel6-8Arp1, Steel6-8Arp2, PopBrsFastSwing, PopBrsMedSwing, PopBrsFX, ChillOut1, ChillOut2, ElectronicSeq, ElectroPop1, ElectroPop2, EuroDance1, EuroDance2, TranceSeq3, Conga&Bongo2, and Buleria.

I hope this information helps in comparing what is new on the Tyros 5 compared to the Tyros 4. The Tyros being an arranger keyboard with powerful editing features, the new voices, styles, and multipads are only the beginning to the musical and expressive creativity possible.

The jump for me from the Tyros 3 to the Tyros 4 was huge, especially when you start editing and switching things up to your liking with all the new sounds and styles. My understanding when reading the Tyros 5 manuals is that you can switch up the Audio Styles in Style Creator, as long as you start off with the original audio style. If this assumption is correct, you can in essence take any suitable Audio part (drum kit, percussion part, or bass part) and Assemble any other style with these realistic audio parts. A style that originally didn't have an audio part, now can have any of the audio parts from the 40 or so Audio Styles on the Tyros 5, or course within reason (musically suitable) and same time signature.

The editing features of the Ensemble feature sound quite intriguing, I can't wait to experiment with the Audio Multipad feature. Hope to get my hands on a Tyros 5. Hopefully seeing what actually is new altogether can help in your decision to buy one for yourself. For me, the jump from the Tyros 4 to the Tyros 5 is a huge jump also.

Typed on my iPad while catching up on some TV programs.
Marcus

#375206 - 11/14/13 05:06 AM Re: Handy Tyros 4 - Tyros 5 comparison outline [Re: Marcus]
Dnj Offline

Thanks for the heads up....very useful info here.

#375215 - 11/14/13 06:23 AM Re: Handy Tyros 4 - Tyros 5 comparison outline [Re: Marcus]
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Oh my! Do we really need all these new sounds? I usually use 2 or three pianos, guitars, strings, etc from each instrument category in each one of my keyboards and Vsts and I would say I still don't know most of them. Unless they really have a very improved quality I don't see the point but I'm glad it makes happy so many people. I used to be one of them.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#375227 - 11/14/13 07:37 AM Re: Handy Tyros 4 - Tyros 5 comparison outline [Re: vagro]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: vagro
Oh my! Do we really need all these new sounds?

Gee, Vagro...do we really need all those keyboards?

Just joking my friend, that is a very impressive looking setup.

I'm doing pretty good getting by with just one keyboard.

I see you have a Yamaha D-85...I had one as well, with the matching Yamaha rotary cabinet...awesome sound, using the PASS system, allegedly the same as the legendary GX-1 and CS-80. The little solo keyboard above the two main manuals was a hoot to play...wiggle it to get vibrato etc.

I felt the Strings and other voices beat the ARP/Solina and were as good, if not better then on CS80( I played one at Yamaha HQ in Scarborough, Ont) The D-85 also has arpeggiator in 6 variations, sequencer, hold effect and tons of other features, including built in reverb. Even the drum machine was okay, if you liked those early Roland TR-type rhythm boxes.

You were lucky to get one...they are a bit rare these days.

Ian

#375242 - 11/14/13 09:00 AM Re: Handy Tyros 4 - Tyros 5 comparison outline [Re: ianmcnll]
vagro Offline

Hi Ian. Sure I don't need so many keyboards! The problem is it's hard for me to get rid of my instruments unless I upgrade on the same brand. Anyway I use the three manuals and pedals all the time. In this setup the Psr styles play the Korg drums usually matching all the drumkits and the final sound goes through the Korgs Maxx Audio.
The D 85 is part of my vintage instruments I will always keep. It used to be my dream organ when I was a kid and I acquired it 30 years later when I was able to afford it! In the 80's it was the first step to the digital era with same sampled drums and the Cs80's engine in the little upper manual that you mentioned.
I'll tell you something. I think I know why Yamaha fans love blindly their instruments all over the world: it is because Yamaha is a feeling that goes beyond the product itself. Everything Yamaha makes in relation to keyboard instruments arises emotion in me because I remember when I was a kid. But this time the Tyros 5 has failed to motivate me for unknown reasons, probably I don't find anything new on it.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#375251 - 11/14/13 09:33 AM Re: Handy Tyros 4 - Tyros 5 comparison outline [Re: Marcus]
ianmcnll Offline

Vagro, I remember the Canadian demonstrator (and world champion Electone organist), Claude Dupras, came to our little town ( I was an Electone teacher then) and played the D-85 along with several lower priced organs. I was impressed with his presentation (and eventually trained with him for a short while) and I wanted one of those D-85's so badly, I took out a bank loan and bought one.

And yes, I agree with the emotional aspect and the feeling that goes beyond the product. I still have it as strong as ever. When they asked me to work as a demonstrator, I remembered seeing Claude and how much interest and emotion he drew from the audience, both with his excellent playing skills, but also his great choice of music, ranging from classical, ballroom, and popular music of the day, including a terrific hoedown number, playing the fiddle on the D-85's third manual....I wanted to do that same thing!

That was my little dream, and although I never got close to Claude's awesome talent, I still did basically the same thing on a lesser scale, and I have thoroughly enjoyed working for a terrific company that treats it's employees with utmost respect and fairness.

In all honesty, the Tyros5 doesn't motivate me enough to upgrade from my Tyros4, but the latter is a very tough act to follow.

What other vintage instruments do have presently?

I just have two...my old analog mono CS-01 mini-synth, and a TQ-5 FM Tone generator...both bought new. The former is alleged to have the same oscillator as the CS-80...it's pretty fat and full.

Ian

#375279 - 11/14/13 01:47 PM Re: Handy Tyros 4 - Tyros 5 comparison outline [Re: Marcus]
vagro Offline

Sorry Marcus if we went out of topic.

Ian: see? you also have some other instruments! I only have those named below my signature.
I guess this time the introduction to the T5 has been delayed. I remember the introduction of the amazing T2 and its new SA voices, later the T3 with SA2 voices and the T4 with all those choirs and vocals. Now probably the Ensemble Voices but have not been promoted and explained yet by Peter Bartman and other.

I tell you only for your information that no Tyros line has ever arrived to my country so Korg has the market here. The answer is no one ever would pay more than 10.000 Us$ for an arranger here, just the same price the D85 organ cost back in the 80's.

#375282 - 11/14/13 01:58 PM Re: Handy Tyros 4 - Tyros 5 comparison outline [Re: Marcus]
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks Vagro...and yes, my apologies to Marcus for going off topic.

Vagro, thankfully nearly all keyboards are priced reasonably here in Canada.

Now, onwards with the topic!

Ian

#375320 - 11/14/13 10:39 PM Re: Handy Tyros 4 - Tyros 5 comparison outline [Re: Marcus]
Bachus Offline

Whats more important then just the upgraded sounds, is the new features the T5 has...

- the 76 keybed plays fantastic and feels really pro.
- full integration with a lot of upcomming T5 specific ipad apps.
- Audio styles
- Hugely improved DSP section
- More suited for piano players as its much better at following the chords in right hand.
- Audio edditing features
- The new sub outs

http://keyszone.boards.net

#375470 - 11/16/13 07:16 PM Re: Handy Tyros 4 - Tyros 5 comparison outline [Re: vagro]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: vagro
Oh my! Do we really need all these new sounds? I usually use 2 or three pianos, guitars, strings, etc from each instrument category in each one of my keyboards and Vsts and I would say I still don't know most of them. Unless they really have a very improved quality I don't see the point but I'm glad it makes happy so many people. I used to be one of them.

That's pretty scary, if you add the cost of all those keyboards, then divide by the number of sounds you use!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online