SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#375050 - 11/12/13 04:05 PM My mini T5 review
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Unfortunately my time with the T5s has been cut short. Yamaha has asked for them back. These units are needed at Yamaha for further training, testing, etc.

So I can only give you a short bland description of what I have encountered.

Size and Weigh

Seems that Yamaha was able to keep the weight of the 76 at 35 lbs and the 61 an 31 lbs. They are both easy to move around. I really think Yamaha could have compacted these models like Korg did with the PA3x series, but I guess they have their reasons.

Sounds

I noticed they have added new sounds, in addition to keeping the sounds of the T4. It seems that the first patches are the new, then they move into the older sounds.
The sounds seem to be more vibrant than on the T4, I'm sure it's due to the new effect engines that they have added. Alot of nice piano patches like a ragtime upgright, and some new voiced octave pianos.
The acoustic guitars are really sounding nice, I think the T4 guitars had a harpsichord sound to them.
The Electric guitars are much better than the T4 version, including Jazz chorus and Strat type sounds.

Styles

The styles all seem to have more life to them, I think it's a combination of the re-voicing, the drums have a bit more umph to them too.
The styles with the Audio drums are good to very good. Some of the latin styles really have the "Ketron" ish sound to them.

Audio player

Now you can play mp3/wavs back and manipulate them, either changing the pitch without effecting the tempo, or vice versa.
I couldn't seem to figure out how to route the player out one of the new sub outs, I hope its just an oversite on my part.

Even though I had a very short time with them, I like the improvements. Some of them very minor and probably could have been done with a OS update on the T4, but I like the overall sound better, just the less mellow sound, It's not just an eq thing, I believe the D/A converters are probably better so the fidelity is even better

If anyone has any questions that I might be able to answer you can give me a shout.

Thanks

#375051 - 11/12/13 04:08 PM Re: My mini T5 review [Re: frankieve]
Dnj Online   content

Frank thanx for the T5 first look review although short but very interesting comparisons with T4.

#375053 - 11/12/13 04:31 PM Re: My mini T5 review [Re: frankieve]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Frank thanks for the min review.

#375058 - 11/12/13 05:52 PM Re: My mini T5 review [Re: frankieve]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: frankieve

The styles with the Audio drums are good to very good. Some of the latin styles really have the "Ketron" ish sound to them.

Wow, I can't wait to hear those Latin styles!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#375066 - 11/12/13 07:33 PM Re: My mini T5 review [Re: frankieve]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Frank, thanks for the short evaluation. Seems kind of foolish to let you have for such a very short time. They should pay you for unpacking them and repacking. What did the dog who is the quality control checker think of the Tyros 5 ? Lloyd

#375071 - 11/12/13 11:27 PM Re: My mini T5 review [Re: frankieve]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Frank I know after working in the music game years ago, Yamaha is split into two main cats regarding keyboards. And the section that say release the synths obviously have a great hold over the domestic keyboard design and release of them. Lets face it they never liked arrangers, and always thought that they were beneath them. I mean why would you release a monster 76, And didn't most of us want black and slimline, I almost rest my case on those points alone. it's overpriced and way too big. I suggest that if a motif was released like this, it would be a laughing stock, and there lies the problem/ Until either the two departments are combined as one or the keyboards are are allowed to do the right thing and release a Tyros that is the envy of the whole musical world, well we are doomed to get the small baby steps we have so far,
Don't get me wrong I have owned all Tyros models since the first Tyros, and sold my T4 to get an Audya, which even now still beats Tyros5 in some sounds feel and features. I guess as long as a percentage of folks are happy to part with extraordinary dollars to buy the T5 not much is going to change. And that's a pity because Yamaha could have done an unbelievable amazing job of the T5, and I think I will wait till T6 before I purchase, maybe then things might change

#375078 - 11/13/13 04:25 AM Re: My mini T5 review [Re: Robbo]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Robbo
Frank I know after working in the music game years ago, Yamaha is split into two main cats regarding keyboards. And the section that say release the synths obviously have a great hold over the domestic keyboard design and release of them. Lets face it they never liked arrangers, and always thought that they were beneath them. I mean why would you release a monster 76, And didn't most of us want black and slimline, I almost rest my case on those points alone. it's overpriced and way too big. I suggest that if a motif was released like this, it would be a laughing stock, and there lies the problem/ Until either the two departments are combined as one or the keyboards are are allowed to do the right thing and release a Tyros that is the envy of the whole musical world, well we are doomed to get the small baby steps we have so far,
Don't get me wrong I have owned all Tyros models since the first Tyros, and sold my T4 to get an Audya, which even now still beats Tyros5 in some sounds feel and features. I guess as long as a percentage of folks are happy to part with extraordinary dollars to buy the T5 not much is going to change. And that's a pity because Yamaha could have done an unbelievable amazing job of the T5, and I think I will wait till T6 before I purchase, maybe then things might change

Its not about what the pros want, its about what the buyers want, and 90% of the Tyros 5 buyers live in europe are between 60 and 70 years of age, and use the tyros as a homekeyboard..

And they have been quite happy with the current color. and its exactly part of this customer base that adressed they wanted a 76 key model.. even considering to step over to a Korg PA3x, thats the true reason for the current update..

Anyway, with the 76 keys and the new improved ipad integration, this is a winner for me. my 61 key Kronos X on top of it, and its a golden combination.

If there was ever a moment for me to step away from my PC hardware, its now, as i can virtually create almost any sound on my Kronos... and yamaha will offer the most ease of use and styles ..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#375090 - 11/13/13 06:25 AM Re: My mini T5 review [Re: frankieve]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA

#375106 - 11/13/13 08:16 AM Re: My mini T5 review [Re: frankieve]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: frankieve
Unfortunately my time with the T5s has been cut short. Yamaha has asked for them back. These units are needed at Yamaha for further training, testing, etc.
Thanks

... and debugging?!?!? ...

#375139 - 11/13/13 12:46 PM Re: My mini T5 review [Re: Bachus]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Dont get me wrong, i think the T5 has some fantastic features, and as i said have owned all the T series from the start. My point being was every time i upgraded to the new one to get a couple more new features, it was an incredible financial cost, and if you can afford it and youre happy to part with the dollars, it will be an incredible buy.

I think i'll hold out till the price is normalized in the market place before i venture to the sales desk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online