SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#373671 - 10/27/13 05:19 PM forScore music reader software for iPad
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I use my iPad2 to view sheet music and notes, and this weekend I converted over from MusicReader to forScore. It was a nominal cost, $6.99, much cheaper than MusicReader, but then MusicReader seems to be aimed at the tablet PC market, with iPad as an add-on. I am very happy with the change and here are a few of the positive things I have discovered:

• The time shows at the top of the page, no more sneaky glances at my watch to keep on time.
• The title of the next song up in the setlist shows briefly at the top of the page.
• You can navigate through large documents easily, using a slider at the bottom of the page; thumbnails and page numbers show as you move through.
• It turns a half page even between different songs, so you can see the top half of the next song while you are playing the conclusion of the current song.
• You can vary the exact point of the half turn.
• Annotations are easy to make and look really good.

Only one real concern at the moment which is that there is no note annotation. I do sometimes like to add half, quarter or eighth notes to a score, and for some reason they seem to be missing in the pallete. I would also have liked some batch printing of the annotated scores, but it was easy enough to create pdfs in my dropbox and then batch print from my PC.

It looks like a keeper.

#373686 - 10/28/13 04:47 AM Re: forScore music reader software for iPad [Re: PraiseTheLord]
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I use ForScore extensively. One of the best features is that I can attach an MP3 file to the score, so when I call up the score the backing track comes up automatically. Easy to use MP3 player.

#373692 - 10/28/13 07:53 AM Re: forScore music reader software for iPad [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Graham, I'll have to check that one out. I have been using unReal book have you checked that one?

unReal Book

#373704 - 10/28/13 09:10 AM Re: forScore music reader software for iPad [Re: PraiseTheLord]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Hi Stephen, I looked at it before deciding to try forScore but was swayed by this review to try forScore first, and I am very pleased I did.

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/Sheet-Music-Readers-For-iPad

#373757 - 10/29/13 08:30 AM Re: forScore music reader software for iPad [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Beakybird Offline

I use Forscore to call up my Fakebooks to learn new stuff. I don't use sheet music while performing, but it's great to know that I can do so much stuff with this app.

#373764 - 10/29/13 11:04 AM Re: forScore music reader software for iPad [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One of unReal Book's seemingly great features is the ability to associate a MIDI file with each entry.

The thing that strikes me about this is, that MIDI file can be the PC/32/00 code to call up the specific Performance for that song. That's all you need, isn't it?

Call up the sheet, and your arranger automatically loads the Performance you set up for it. Wicked!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online