SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#373366 - 10/23/13 02:47 PM The new Flu about to Hit
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
All you guys get ready who have the keyboard buying Flu it about to hit again in full force I being one. Looking forward to my bought with the strain called Tyros 5 76 keys. There is no cure until you get it We are all trying to figure out how to get it Crazy.

#373369 - 10/23/13 03:01 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Ha....I've been fully immunized with the previous strain, the Tyros4, and am in no real danger of K.B.F.(Keyboard Buying Flu) or the related condition G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) for a considerable amount of time...hopefully!

I hope the Tyros5 covers all, or most, of the features on your wish list Ron.

Ian

#373371 - 10/23/13 03:15 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

S-950 is all I need,.......... cool2 but I will certainly look at the T-5 & what it can do...you think the NEW T5 styles will work on T4/S950...?

#373373 - 10/23/13 03:17 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I think I'll be able to stick with the S-950 till I retire.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#373376 - 10/23/13 03:34 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Man there's no way I can improve with any keyboard!! Everyone loves my vocals and choice of tunes everywhere I play. To them the keyboard is just something I carry around to impress them, and nothing, I mean nothing is easier to sequence a tune with as my i30 other then Band In A Box for playing a song with my sax. I can do them in 5 minutes with Band In A Box. The folks are just looking at me and listening to all the licks I'm playing on the sax. They don't even know that the keyboard is playing along with me.

Really, how many people you know do "My Romance" "My One And Only Love" "Darn That Dream" "Harlem Nocturn" Night Train" and such with all of the correct chords, licks and turnarounds. Com on now be honest. I'll never need a new keyboard until my old iron horse dinosaur dies. "Think I'd Better Knock On Wood."

#373380 - 10/23/13 04:41 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
Man Everyone loves my vocals and choice of tunes everywhere I play. how many people you know do "My Romance" "My One And Only Love" "Darn That Dream" "Harlem Nocturn" Night Train" and such with all of the correct chords, licks and turnarounds.

Boo would love to hear you do those tunes... headphone

#373382 - 10/23/13 05:29 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
brickboo Offline

Donny, Ask Randy to come out West and record me. I tried with my Sony mini recorder and it sucked. Recording is a different animal. Randy must have some good gear and is miles ahead of me in that department. I've had pros tell me that tenor sax is one of the hardest to record. You need 2, 3 or more mics. I play soft and sub-tone on the low end AND MANY MICS WON'T PICK THAT UP.

I don't blast every note out into a mic through the whole tune.

#373383 - 10/23/13 05:34 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo, Get in that Hot Rod Lincoln and head my way with your sax - I'll be glad to record you before the snow starts flyin'.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#373387 - 10/23/13 07:04 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: brickboo]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Donny, Ask Randy to come out West and record me. I tried with my Sony mini recorder and it sucked. Recording is a different animal. Randy must have some good gear and is miles ahead of me in that department. I've had pros tell me that tenor sax is one of the hardest to record. You need 2, 3 or more mics. I play soft and sub-tone on the low end AND MANY MICS WON'T PICK THAT UP.

I don't blast every note out into a mic through the whole tune.

I've gotten fairly reasonable results with my Apex 460 tube mic. I stand as close as possible to the mic with the bell of the horn to try and minimize any room noise, as I'm just recording in my rec room and not a proper studio. The Apex 460 does a pretty nice job on the horn and seems to capture the sub-tones especially well. The Apex 460 sells for about $300.00 in these parts.

#373391 - 10/23/13 07:36 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
S-950 is all I need,.......... cool2 but I will certainly look at the T-5 & what it can do...you think the NEW T5 styles will work on T4/S950...?

The S950 is a real gem, for sure. Hard to say if Tyros5 styles will be downwardly compatible...it may depend, not on new SA/SA2 voices, but what new Mega Voices are being used. It's much easier to swap in another SA/SA2 Voice than it is to find a compatible mega, at least in my experience.

How did the Tyros4 styles work in your S950 Donny? Did you get the raw T4 styles, or ones that were converted?

Ian

#373394 - 10/23/13 07:51 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: brickboo]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Man there's no way I can improve with any keyboard!! Everyone loves my vocals and choice of tunes everywhere I play. To them the keyboard is just something I carry around to impress them, and nothing, I mean nothing is easier to sequence a tune with as my i30 other then Band In A Box for playing a song with my sax. I can do them in 5 minutes with Band In A Box. The folks are just looking at me and listening to all the licks I'm playing on the sax. They don't even know that the keyboard is playing along with me.

Really, how many people you know do "My Romance" "My One And Only Love" "Darn That Dream" "Harlem Nocturn" Night Train" and such with all of the correct chords, licks and turnarounds. Com on now be honest. I'll never need a new keyboard until my old iron horse dinosaur dies. "Think I'd Better Knock On Wood."

True Boo, but most of the people who did those songs are did, as are most of the people who would pay to hear them! smile

But, since you ask, Russ could nail every one of them, on guitar, keyboard vocals, and probably several other instruments!
DonM

#373397 - 10/24/13 01:40 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: ianmcnll]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
brickboo. Re BIAB have the option of Solo Improver. works a treat around the melody.

Best wishes from UK

#373399 - 10/24/13 02:08 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

I'm Glad I got my flu shot last week most places won't let you play without proof of getting it.

#373419 - 10/24/13 09:53 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
"My one and only Love"...when I play that, I think it can't get any better!

Great taste, Boo!

Russ

#373461 - 10/24/13 06:34 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: captain Russ]
brickboo Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
"My one and only Love"...when I play that, I think it can't get any better!

Great taste, Boo!

Russ, Have you heard it this way before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRh7M9zQiIc

Doris Day "My Romance" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6X3j8VAK2A

Coltrane, Curtis Fuller trombone, Lee Morgan trumpet. It doesn't get any better than this Russ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDUaJSZd_g

#373463 - 10/24/13 06:41 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Call me crazy, but I never likes Coltrane on ballads. I much prefer the sensuous, sultry sound of Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, Phil Woods and the like - I respect Trane for his creativity, but never liked his tone. I keep trying to like him ... just can't seem to come around to his style and sound.

#373495 - 10/25/13 09:13 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

One of my favorite jazz guys is Al Jarreau

Edited by Dnj (10/25/13 09:19 AM)

#373498 - 10/25/13 09:19 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: Uncle Dave]

Trane IS American jazz at it's finest; unfortunately, also representing the tragic lifestyle some of the greats lived.

I agree with Dave, his tone on some ballads is not my favorite, but, overall, he is, unquestionably one, if not THE one best Jazz saxophone player...EVER!

Thanks, Boo!

R.

#373503 - 10/25/13 09:49 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: captain Russ]

Donny, met and played with Al in Cedar Rapids; where he lived before hitting it big. He WAS big at the time in the small jazz club there. He was finishing graduate school in Psychology, I think. His dad was the janitor at the Square D factory I worked at every other week.

George Benson worked the same NAMM shows in the early 70's as factory demo dudes. He and I traded licks one session. He ate my lunch!

He got it right. After great success with a limited audience (hardline instrumental jazz....500,000 sales per album), He hit it big with "Breezin"...13 million sales and a much wider audience base. The hardliners criticized him, and he, justifiably just laughed!

I can't think of anyone more deserving!

Russ

#373542 - 10/25/13 08:34 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
brickboo Offline

Russ I understand the guys here who do just POP, COUNTRY, ROCK,
Rap, Rock & ROLL commenting that they don't like Coltrane's sound on ballads. Really not all of them but most rarely appreciate anything with more than 4 chords no matter how it sounds. But Russ You're going to tell me you don't like this sound? You're just kidding right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25D7OalSHNs
What about these two?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOcHw1UW4E&list=PLCAD4D2AED40D9304

v=Mmrpb8aQFQY&list=PLCAD4D2AED40D9304

Edited by brickboo (10/25/13 08:39 PM)

#373568 - 10/26/13 08:05 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
Uncle Dave Offline

Try this on, Boo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyfOS5g7SXM

Local Philly guys, Larry McKenna and Tony Micelli ... saw Larry last night at a local music shop in my neighborhood. Now, THAT'S tone!
Russ ... nice vibes, huh?

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhom0OO5DEg

#373583 - 10/26/13 01:26 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
brickboo Offline

Dave, tone, phasing, choice of licks, dynamics etc. are as good as it gets.

1. Why haven't I heard of this guy?
2. Do you know his age?
3. Does he make any money playing "Swing Jazz?"
4. Does he just play local or does he travel?
5. Is he only playing weekends or more nights a week?

Thanks for introducing me to this guy and any info is appreciated. You can email if you have time. He's a mixture of Getz and Zoot Sims with a style all his own. He's great. Thanks again.

#373584 - 10/26/13 03:11 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Larry is the best...

Dave , the first time I met Larry was at John Mangano's funeral service(late 80's)..It was me, Larry and Stan in attendance..other than John's wife and son...so sad..even you were absent..

#373586 - 10/26/13 03:46 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
Fran Carango Offline

Here is a video with our local friends...Lynn worked with Dave in the Disco days, Don (bass) owns the music store and married to Lynn.., Tom on piano and Larry on sax..

#373587 - 10/26/13 04:16 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Fran, that's some of the nicest ensemble horn work I've heard in many a day. Ahh, the good old days when musicians could play, singers could sing, and there were audiences to appreciate them. You were free to be an artist without having to worry about filling up the dance floor. A real treat. BTW, was that in or around Philly?

chas

#373588 - 10/26/13 04:22 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: Fran Carango]

Boo, I like every note Trane ever blew. I like every inversion he ever played. His ballads were STELLAR. What I said is, I wasn't a big fan of his TONE. It's a little thin for my taste.

As you know, tone is something you're born with. One of my best friends is a monster on tenor. But, he has a harsher, leaner tone than Trane. And there's nothing he can do about it. Horn changes...reeds, etc. make little or no difference.
He's fantastic on flute, and that's what he plays when he works with me.

Listen To Gato. His tone is both fat and really dirty. Sandborn is really clean and a little fuller than Trane. But, I'll be the first to admit that, good as they are, neither could hold Trane's sax case when it comes to comparing ability and over-all musicianship. I simply like their tone beterr than Trane's.

You can't get a bigger Trane fan than me. I'm just not really crazy about his Tone. That being said, for inspiration, I listen to him all the way to Louisville and back (1 1/2 hours each way) on my weekly trip.

It's just my opinion, and in no way is intended as a criticism of his brilliant technique, improvisational skills or impact on the art of jazz performance.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (10/26/13 04:27 PM)

#373594 - 10/26/13 08:37 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Fran, that's some of the nicest ensemble horn work I've heard in many a day. Ahh, the good old days when musicians could play, singers could sing, and there were audiences to appreciate them. You were free to be an artist without having to worry about filling up the dance floor. A real treat. BTW, was that in or around Philly?

chas

Chas, that location is in Fairless Hills, between Langhorne and Morrisville..

http://prolinemusic.com/home.html

Edited by Fran Carango (10/26/13 08:44 PM)

#373600 - 10/27/13 04:09 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
cgiles Offline

Fran, it's sad, sad, sad that so many shops such as that (Proline) which produced so many fine musicians, have mostly succumbed to internet sales. I don't feel as though anything has REALLY filled that gap. Even most secondary school systems have made music programs a secondary priority. Just compare the budgets of the average football program to the average band and orchestra programs. That's why we have 50 self-taught 3-chord (key of E....only) guitar players to every 1 trained horn player.

chas

#373606 - 10/27/13 07:55 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Fran, it's sad, sad, sad that so many shops such as that (Proline) which produced so many fine musicians, have mostly succumbed to internet sales. I don't feel as though anything has REALLY filled that gap. Even most secondary school systems have made music programs a secondary priority. Just compare the budgets of the average football program to the average band and orchestra programs. That's why we have 50 self-taught 3-chord (key of E....only) guitar players to every 1 trained horn player.

chas

Chas, you are right on the money...or lack of it....

My Grandson plays sax with the local high school (Truman) marching band..
They have no budget allowance for transportation (band)...so the kids walk to home games...the gear and uniforms stay in school..
There are no away games for the band...

This is not supporting the band...

#373608 - 10/27/13 08:09 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
Uncle Dave Offline

My High School Alma Mater just cancelled their marching band last year ... so sad. They DID pick up an orchestra teacher (a nun) from a large Philly school that closed, so they still have music, but nothing at the football games. I used to love gameday when the football team would play before and after the BAND SHOW!

Boo,
Glad you like Larry - he's among the best I ever heard, and he's a gem of a human too. Works local to Philly and wherever the wind blows him. I think he's pushing 75-80, but I'm just guessing, based on what I've seen him do and following the timeline. I'm sure he's at least 15 years my senior, and I'm not yet 60.

Don and Lynn's shop (Proline Music) exists mostly on the success of their teaching program. They have 300+ students each month ($85 per), and they feature a band program that gets 4 or 5 students together, they learn 5 tunes and then showcase them in a local place .... great PR and great for the kids. The internet is as bad as it is good ... I think you need a good balance of cyber to bricks for any business to survive today. Without the internet - many of us here would never have met!

Russ,
I agree about all your points about Trane - great technician, stylist, pioneer etc ... just need more tone. I just GOTTA have more tone! I got a feevah .... and the only prescription is ...
(well, you see where I'm going with this)
smile

#373618 - 10/27/13 09:01 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: Uncle Dave]
brickboo Offline

Boo,
Glad you like Larry - he's among the best I ever heard, and he's a gem of a human too. Works local to Philly and wherever the wind blows him. I think he's pushing 75-80, but I'm just guessing, based on what I've seen him do and following the timeline. I'm sure he's at least 15 years my senior, and I'm not yet 60.

Dave Here's another 80+years Tenor and Alto man. He's only famous because of YouTube. He's using Jamie Aebersold backing CDs. Maybe I'll get the cobwebs of my old Buescher Tenor and start practicing again. Maybe by the time I'm 85 I'll be this good too, eh?

Different sound but in the Zoot Sims, Getz mix, but his own style. His name is Aubra Graves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjur3G0ZMWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQuFqa2YSUY

It's a shame these guys put in so much time in music study and get no where near the recognition of the kids using pitch control to sing maybe 20 or 30 tunes that they know.

With musicians such as Aubra, you can call a tune out tell them the key your doing the tune in and they have the ability to blow their asses off. In this world, it's not about fairness, is it?

#373625 - 10/27/13 11:54 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Offline

In this world, it's not about fairness, is it?

Nope. Otherwise I'd be rich and famous smile .

chas

#373653 - 10/27/13 02:48 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Players can still play, singers can still sing... who cares about the audience?!

BTW... look back to the Big Band years... you think those guys weren't worried about what would fill the dance floor? LOL

#373672 - 10/27/13 05:31 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Dave, I so enjoyed their playing. Hope you all like this keyboard and vocal version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHkHHABydv0

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online