SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#373173 - 10/19/13 09:36 AM Roland bk9 Latin Styles
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I posted this on the SZ Roland Forum and also sent a few PMs out to SZ members that own the bk 9 but I haven't heard from anybody. Diki? Hammer? Fran? Anybody?

I ran across this Roland BK 7 Latin styles demo and I really like what I'm hearing. Does the bk 9 have these styles too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSaSZa7Myno

I'm a Yamaha player but the Yamaha styles lack the kind of balls and authenticity that contemporary Latin dance music needs. I also LOVE the idea of a chord sequencer so I'm looking at the new Korgs and Roland.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#373174 - 10/19/13 11:15 AM Re: Roland bk9 Latin Styles [Re: montunoman]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Yes they are in the BK9 too

Attachments
BK9 Latin.jpg

Edited by Fran Carango (10/19/13 11:20 AM)

#373180 - 10/19/13 01:21 PM Re: Roland bk9 Latin Styles [Re: Fran Carango]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Paul,
As you might know I owned the BK-7M and the Korg PA900. I now own the Roland BK-9. First, the BK-9 styles do not sound the same as those on the BK-7M. I don't know why but they just don't. The BK-7M styles are much better. I much prefer the Latin styles on the Korg PA900. I do not play pure "latin" music perhaps I have something to learn here. But, the BK-9 Latin styles are extremely busy.

By the way, I have a complete collection of all the BK-7M styles and they don't sound very good on my BK-9 either.

Deane

#373184 - 10/19/13 05:30 PM Re: Roland bk9 Latin Styles [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Thanks Fran for the info.

Deane- You're observations are interesting about the BK7 and BK9. I spent a lot of time today Murphy's Music in Irving,TX playing on a Roland GW8 and a BK5. Both boards sounded radically different. Yamaha and Korg don't seem to sound that different from model to model. I'm saying that's good or bad...

#373199 - 10/20/13 08:12 AM Re: Roland bk9 Latin Styles [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Paul I'd say if you want Latin ....Go KETRON.

#373207 - 10/20/13 09:52 AM Re: Roland bk9 Latin Styles [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

You're right Donny, Ketron is numero uno for Latin (at least in the tropical category) followed by Roland, Korg and Yamaha. I do like the idea of the chord looping of Korg and Roland but sound and style authenticity is more important. Maybe I should keep saving up for an Audya.

#373209 - 10/20/13 11:52 AM Re: Roland bk9 Latin Styles [Re: montunoman]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: montunoman
Thanks Fran for the info.

Deane- You're observations are interesting about the BK7 and BK9. I spent a lot of time today Murphy's Music in Irving,TX playing on a Roland GW8 and a BK5. Both boards sounded radically different. Yamaha and Korg don't seem to sound that different from model to model. I'm saying that's good or bad...

Yes, GW8 and BK5 are very different, as the GW8 takes most of its sounds from the SonicCell and the Fantom X synthesizer line, while the BK5 and BK7m are derived from the former arranger line (G70, E80). I think Roland has kept the synthesizer and arranger sounds quite separate for a long time. So e.g. I always missed good saxophones in the Sonic Cell, while there are many good ones in the BK-7m.

#373242 - 10/21/13 10:23 AM Re: Roland bk9 Latin Styles [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: hammer
Paul,
As you might know I owned the BK-7M and the Korg PA900. I now own the Roland BK-9. First, the BK-9 styles do not sound the same as those on the BK-7M. I don't know why but they just don't. The BK-7M styles are much better. I much prefer the Latin styles on the Korg PA900. I do not play pure "latin" music perhaps I have something to learn here. But, the BK-9 Latin styles are extremely busy.

By the way, I have a complete collection of all the BK-7M styles and they don't sound very good on my BK-9 either.

Deane

Deane... I have both. Perhaps you could tell me which Latin styles that you thought were great on the BK-7m don't sound the same on the BK-9, and I can perhaps pin down what has changed?

#373262 - 10/21/13 04:37 PM Re: Roland bk9 Latin Styles [Re: montunoman]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Diki,
I no longer own the BK-7M. I did make recordings and posted them on this forum I believe of some BK-7M styles. All I know is just about all of the BK-7M styles I own do not play well on my BK-9. That also includes the styles from the hard to get thumb drive that was sold only in Europe.

Deane

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online