SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#372819 - 10/10/13 10:20 AM Yamaha S-950 Style Demo...
Dnj Offline

#372829 - 10/10/13 03:09 PM Re: Yamaha S-950 Style Demo... [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Nice demo...after the first 2 minutes and 40 seconds of the demo...there was nothing I would use.. smile

It is easier to mention what I didn't like since most of the sound was good..I don't like the Piano, or the organ/leslie..

It suffers from the same old..that has been mentioned forever....it does sound like a recording of real instruments...but that is not a good thing..it lacks the realism of live play.....Sort of listening to a radio....in the next room..with the door shut.. smile

The only way for me to explain it..is to listen to the decent PA900 demo, or a decent BK9 demo...even the average Audya demo will show the difference..

#372830 - 10/10/13 03:14 PM Re: Yamaha S-950 Style Demo... [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Larry shows the real strenght of the s950...Guitar sounds..

#372831 - 10/10/13 03:21 PM Re: Yamaha S-950 Style Demo... [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Nice smooth and integrated demo, but lacks any form of live emotion, which while great for sending punters to sleep, has nothing to get the adrenalin flowing. (Let’s hope in the future Yamaha take inspiration from their synth/Workstation division (as well as other manufactures) and finally make an arranger that sounds live)

Bill

#372832 - 10/10/13 03:28 PM Re: Yamaha S-950 Style Demo... [Re: Fran Carango]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

Larry shows the real strenght of the s950...Guitar sounds..

That was very tasty!

#372833 - 10/10/13 03:35 PM Re: Yamaha S-950 Style Demo... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I liked the style demo, but then again, I have always liked Yamaha's great smooth yet detailed sound. It's not for everybody, anymore than the sound of Wersi, Ketron, Korg or Roland is suitable for all tastes.

That's why they make 'em different, guys...simple eh?

I also really enjoyed hearing Larry's performance again...he really has the guitar emulation down extremely well.

Thanks Donny,

Ian

#372834 - 10/10/13 04:20 PM Re: Yamaha S-950 Style Demo... [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

#372841 - 10/10/13 06:41 PM Re: Yamaha S-950 Style Demo... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Some incredible stuff - thanks guys. I love to watch Larry, in particular, as his right hand works the keys and that left hand is working the pitch bend with incredible accuracy. Larry is one of my many heroes on this forum.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#372842 - 10/10/13 07:48 PM Re: Yamaha S-950 Style Demo... [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
About the only thing wrong with Larry's stuff was, the band just didn't sound as up and energized as Larry was..!

What I mean is listen to how he sounds, then listen to the lackluster backing... There's an energy a punchiness difference. That's kind of what keeps me from the Yamaha's... I want backing that's a hair more lively and punchy. That's how I'm going to play (if I can!), that's how I want my backing band.

It's an energy thing, I guess. I just don't feel any 'push' from the band. They just kind of sit there. If you play to them (like the earlier demos did) then you're kind of OK, but start to get frisky, the band just sort of goes 'meh'!

Perhaps it is something to do with how long it may have been for most Yamaha users since they played with a real drummer (this might be a fascinating question... does one's choice of arranger get influenced by how recently you played with a real rhythm section?), perhaps not. But, out of the Big Four (if you count Ketron), I still feel the Yamaha's capture the drive and sound of a real drummer the least.

T5 is coming soon... be interesting to see whether Yamaha expand the audio drums a lot more than the S950, or whether they take the opportunity to address this weakness with many of the drumkits. I still hope for the latter, but the S950 has me kind of worried. If only Yamaha would realize, you don't need audio loops. Just better KITS. It's how Korg and Roland succeed. Yamaha are spending a fortune developing fancy audio drum loop styles, when all they need is a few great kits from the DTX line.

And the benefit of MUCH better kits is, your OLD styles (bet you got thousands!) are only a click away from using those new, punchy kits. Can't do THAT with a loop!

#372862 - 10/11/13 06:15 AM Re: Yamaha S-950 Style Demo... [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

They dont look very enthused listening, ....
surprised headphone rolleyes rolleyes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online