SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#372659 - 10/04/13 04:51 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
How many times in the old days did I run around after a tube blew and I didn't have a spare for that one? I played a 6 year house job, 6 nights a week for 6 years with a B 3 and a Shure Vocal Master. That sounded great in it's day. But do you know how much more I can get out of my S 950 and Bose Compact? It's like day and night. Like Gary started out, it will take me the rest of my performing years just to get to all of the goodies on the 950. The vocal processing is awesome. I am getting great results with the VH. I'm not keeping as crazy a schedule as Gary. I just spent a few days at our place in Ocean City, MD. But I couldn't wait to get to the job today and fire up the 950. It sounded great, and it made me sound great. What more could one ask? Now if only we could get the federal government working...................... confused1

Joe keys

Edited by Songman55 (10/04/13 04:53 PM)

#372661 - 10/04/13 05:02 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: Songman55]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Songman55
The vocal processing is awesome.

The VH2 is a great improvement over Yamaha's early attempts, but I've found that any more than one harmony really taxes the system in the 950 ... maybe its just the way I sing, or the strength of the signal, but if you don't use the on-board gate and limiter it breaks up far too easily for my taste, and I just don't care for the sound with the processing ON ... I know, I know ... I'm extra finiky. As a straight vocal preamp ... it sounds great ... it's just the harmonies that perform a bit awkwardly for my taste. Glad you're getting good results Joe.

#372665 - 10/04/13 05:37 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The VH-2 isn't perfect, but I think it is a decent improvement over the earlier version.

Since I'm not a singer per se, I rarely use my T4's VH for vocal...I do like using it as a vocoder, something it does very well.

To explain for those who aren't familiar with the term, a vocoder (short for "voice encoder") is a device that makes ordinary sounds, such as chords played on a synthesizer, sing or speak recognizable words. Often used as a novelty effect, but great when using Yamaha's SA Choir/Voice sounds.

Vocoders have been around for over 30 years, but this is the first time I've really had the desire to utilize this effect, since it is already so conveniently available on my Tyros4.

I'm still learning the finer details, but it is sure a lot of fun.

Relating to what Joe said above, today's arrangers are incredibly deep, and inspire (and need) lots of exploring.

Ian

#372667 - 10/04/13 11:04 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The Tyros 4 doesn't feel like a Rhodes or a B3 but it has one of the finest synth action keybeds I have ever played and I have had a lot of synth action keyboards over the years. I don't even own a T4 but when I played one I was very impressed by the keybed. It sure smokes the one on my old Motif 6.

#372676 - 10/05/13 09:03 AM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
After reading DonM's post about the new being so much better than the old...I have to decide what to do with my wife now!!! grin

Fran, don't you know that old adage, "Many a good tune played on an old fiddle"? violin

What are you using as a vehicle to haul around your present keyboard setup? Are you able to get by with a car (maybe a hatchback?) or are you using a van or truck?

Aren't you interested in the lighter, more portable BK-9?

Ian

There are three reasons why I don't have a BK9....First I want a touch screen....secondly, since I left the band I do not need an audio player....and third, I haven't played one yet smile

When I used a minivan, it was the ideal vehicle...now I use a SUV, a totally over-rated vehicle for any thing...The minivan went anywhere my SUV does, carried more equipment and more economical to run..

Today I only have to haul a Roland Cube, V-stand and G70..

I had to use a Corvette in a pinch once...the G1000 at the time was a project getting it in the passenger seat.. grin

#372679 - 10/05/13 12:24 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

There are three reasons why I don't have a BK9....First I want a touch screen....secondly, since I left the band I do not need an audio player....and third, I haven't played one yet smile

When I used a minivan, it was the ideal vehicle...now I use a SUV, a totally over-rated vehicle for any thing...The minivan went anywhere my SUV does, carried more equipment and more economical to run..

Today I only have to haul a Roland Cube, V-stand and G70..

I had to use a Corvette in a pinch once...the G1000 at the time was a project getting it in the passenger seat.. grin

My old 1957 Suburban would have been considered an SUV I suppose, although it wasn't 4-wheel drive. It wasn't very good in snow unless it was full of gear.

I prefer a van as well, and used to rent Dodge Caravan when doing clinics that required I carried the instruments with me. They were terrific in bad weather.

It used to be annoying that the guitar players could drive cool cars, whilst we keyboard guys always had to have a van or the equivalent. Now, at least, we can drive cars, although a Corvette must have been interesting to pack.

No sign of BK-9 in my area at all, and none on order, which is the only way the store will bring one in. I'd hoped to try one out, since several here are very enthusiastic about it.

The lack of touch screen wouldn't bother me, and I'm glad to see they've added the 16-track midi sequencer.

Hopefully I will get to try one soon.

Ian

#372710 - 10/06/13 04:15 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Wow! Just got back from a 4-day cruise on my sailboat with my wife, the weather was fantastic, and the number of posts and emails during that time boggles the mind.

Some of the comments I anticipated, loved what DonM and Joe Ayala had to say. I just unloaded the boating stuff from the Dodge Grand Caravan, and loaded in the S-950 and Bose L1 compact. I have a restaurant job tomorrow evening, the place will be packed, and I'm really looking forward to it.

When I did have a house job, and I've had several long term house jobs, the keyboards always filled the dance floors as well as when I was playing in a 5-piece country band. No difference, same audiences, but didn't have to split the proceeds 5 ways.

Next weekend, if the weather cooperates, the old man will be cruising down Chesapeake Bay again. Unfortunately, I cannot continue down the bay until I reach the Florida Keys again. I would love to do so, but unfortunately, next year is booked out completely, so I'll have to wait till 2015 to make beautiful music in the Tiki Bars of Marathon and Key West again. Hope I'm still in good enough physical shape to do it.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#372728 - 10/07/13 08:43 AM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So, when you played in a 5 piece, the keyboards were the only thing that brought in the crowds? Must have been a chore, having to share the stage with four people that brought nothing to the table!

I am sorry, but I find this attitude abhorrent. 'No difference'?

Maybe in your mind...

#372736 - 10/07/13 12:54 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

You, obviously, are reading something into my post above that is NOT there. If you recall many of my other posts, when I performed in a five-piece band I was a guitar player and vocalist - not a keyboard player. We had lots of fun back then, we filled dancefloors, we ALL brought something to the venue. And the point I was trying to make is that since then, the arranger keyboard fills the dancefloor as well as the entire band did in years past-nothing more, nothing less.

If you find my attitude ABHORRENT, so be it. What I find abhorrent is your continual negative attitude toward every thread on this forum. No matter what the subject, for some mysterious reason, you continually find something negative to post about it. Whether it's a keyboard, amp, vocal processor, cables, you name it and Diki has something negative to say about it. If the folks on this forum, and their equipment make you feel this way, why are you still here?

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#372737 - 10/07/13 01:09 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

smile

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online