SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#372368 - 09/27/13 08:39 AM Second BK-9 Gig Video
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
The venue is a first level memory care unit. The care takers do an outstanding job with the residents. Only 16 people live in the unit and usually all of them show up for music. Other entertainers refused to play for them because only 10-16 people showed up for them. The AD was happy to know I thought it was an outstanding group and I didn't care how many people were there. I am now the regular for them on a weekly basis.

Anyway, recorded with my Canon SX10 IS camera and all is live.
http://youtu.be/I3kQybMkWXs

Deane

#372384 - 09/27/13 03:36 PM Re: Second BK-9 Gig Video [Re: hammer]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Nice work Deane. Looks like everyone had a great time!

Joe party

#372385 - 09/27/13 03:50 PM Re: Second BK-9 Gig Video [Re: Songman55]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I forgot about "Always" - nice tune. When you have so many in your arsenal, sometimes you forget whats in there.

Do you use a sustain pedal? I see you have to cross over and use your left hand to change sounds or do fills. Would a sustain pedal help to hold the last note played on the right allowing you to use your right hand to make these changes rather than crossover/ Or are you just used to it? Is the location of these buttons very different from your previous boards?

#372388 - 09/27/13 05:47 PM Re: Second BK-9 Gig Video [Re: sparky589]
hammer Offline

Hi Sparky,
the button layout is ok but they operate differently then my Korgs and Yamaha keyboards. The big problem is the RH lead voice does not change when you press a variation button, located to the left of the player. However, with the ONE-TOUCH feature turned on, when you select a RH tone, located to the right of the player, the variation will change. Yes, it is as weird a it sounds.

In some cases a sustain pedal would help and I do have one - but it is not always useful for every sound.

Deane

#372390 - 09/27/13 08:55 PM Re: Second BK-9 Gig Video [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Deane... try an email to Roland tech support and try asking for OTS to be an option for the FC-7.

You can already do Variation selection with an FC-7, but OTS is panel only at the moment. I think being able to select OTS 1-4 with footswitches would allow you to do all this with never having to take your hands away from the keyboard...

I also don't think I see you using the Chord Sequencer yet. You really need to take a look at this, as I see you repeat LH changes over and over (and often get them wrong as you struggle to play AND push buttons at the same time) when all you have to do is play it one time and then hit Play on the Chord Loop. Perhaps this might allow you to be a bit more adventurous with solos or decorating the melody, and also allow you time to work the buttons if both hands aren't always tied up playing chords AND lead...?

#372404 - 09/28/13 07:41 AM Re: Second BK-9 Gig Video [Re: Diki]
hammer Offline

Hi Diki,
I'll give that a try. You are right though - sometimes I can't get back to the keyboard quick enough to get the chord played. Hey, I'am making progress and if the truth be told, I like playing the BK-9 a lot. My hurdle now is finding more rhythms to use for my gig sets. I have been slowly going through my collection of 10,000 Roland styles, many of which I am finding to be junk conversions that really are pretty bad.

I'll contact Roland as suggested - good idea.

Deane

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online