SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#371806 - 09/09/13 12:29 PM Re: Polderbits [Re: Ted Rose]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Never thought of doing that JD - it's not a very long cable though is it going from memory..?
My keyboard is about 8 metres away from my PC.

#371815 - 09/09/13 02:31 PM Re: Polderbits [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Without a doubt, the best way to transfer/record files from KN7000 to a computer, is to use the Digital USB link. I use this method exclusively rather than the analogue audio method. I have a small 'Netbook' PC running WIndows XP, which sits on my KN7000 music stand (since I don't use the stand for anything else smile )

From what I understand from Ted's original posting, his computer has an operating system later than Windows XP - either Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Unfortunately, The Song Manager program and the USB system drivers originally supplied with the KN7000, which are normally used to transfer file data between the KN7000 and a PC, will not work on these later operating systems - they were designed for Windows 98SE and Windows XP.

However, Windows 7 has a 'Compatibility Mode' which may allow programs designed to run on XP, to operate within Windows 7, but there is a snag - isn't there always??
Only the following Windows 7 versions include this option : Win7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise. The more common Win7 versions : Starter, Home Basic and Home Premium, do not include this facility.

I don't have access to a PC with Windows 8 installed, so have little experience of that Operating System. Having done a search on the internet, I found a couple of references which may prove useful.....

1. http://www.microsoft.com/business/en-ie/whats-new/pages/article.aspx?cbcid=71
2. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6832-compatibility-mode-use-windows-8-a.html

Roger, USB cables are available in lengths up to 5 metres, which is the recommended maximum limit according to the USB2 specification. The cable required is a Type A plug to a Type B plug. There is a way to overcome this length limitation, but it involves using a device called a powered 'Hub' to be inserted say half way along your required 8 metre cable run, to boost the signal - maybe not a practical solution in your case??

#371940 - 09/13/13 01:19 AM Re: Polderbits [Re: Bill Norrie]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The other disadvantage of using the analog recording method is that many PCs only have a monophonic microphone input rather than a stereo line in which makes it more difficult to make a stereo recording. The USB digital input certainly sounds like the way to go if possible.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online