SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#371914 - 09/12/13 10:08 AM Re: Forget about Michael Buble ! [Re: Saswick]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

...which makes the score 2-1 in favour of CR. haha smirk smirk

Seriously though the comparison is too far fetched even to be considered. The CR recording dating from 2010 was Cliff's first serious array in the field of BigBand music, note after having been in the business for 50 years. And he would be the first one to admit that he is not a bigband guy and that Sinatra outshines him in every way here. Thing is Richard has a golden voice and has covered everything from Rock and Roll, Pop, Gospel, Soul, etc. It is the versatality and being such an allround entertainer that makes him stand out.
This by the way is a very catchy rendering of an old pop classic from his 2006 tour, at the age of 66 ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKTICOohRaU

regards,
John

#371919 - 09/12/13 10:51 AM Re: Forget about Michael Buble ! [Re: john smies]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So, disagreeing with you is due to tunnel vision, John? That's a pretty high degree of regard you have for JUST your opinion..!

The world consumes more American music than any other non-native form. In fact, most pop music around the world (including Cliffy's stuff) owes its form and sound to American music. Jazz, rock and roll, hiphop, these all have huge influence around the world. Cliffy couldn't cut it here. It was easy to spot how derivative he was. We already had far better, and more original.

And even England had better and more original. Don't forget, that's where I am originally from. Cliffy was a contemporary of the Beatles, the Stones... He is a minor player in that company.

Don't get me wrong... Cliffy's OK... but to put him in the pantheon of geniuses and masters from that era is a stretch.

Tunnel vision, you might even say... rotf2

#371924 - 09/12/13 01:44 PM Re: Forget about Michael Buble ! [Re: Diki]
john smies Offline

rotfl rotfl rotfl

regards,
John

#371925 - 09/12/13 02:17 PM Re: Forget about Michael Buble ! [Re: Saswick]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Saswick
Tony I think you got one wrong, CR twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMjex7AfTsg

Col

Thank you Col ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB6Lf6bOGG4

#371926 - 09/12/13 02:28 PM Re: Forget about Michael Buble ! [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
One of the problems I see with this thread is that people may be comparing versatility with vocal performance ... I was surprised by CR's versatility, but PERSONALLY I would not put him in Sinatra's class as a vocalist ...

Not to start ANOTHER debate, but Cilla Black may be more VERSATILE than, let's say, Ella Fitzgefarld, but is she a better VOCALIST? ... I PERSONALLY would say no ...

#371932 - 09/12/13 05:31 PM Re: Forget about Michael Buble ! [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
One of the problems I see with this thread is that people may be comparing versatility with vocal performance ... I was surprised by CR's versatility, but PERSONALLY I would not put him in Sinatra's class as a vocalist ...

Not to start ANOTHER debate, but Cilla Black may be more VERSATILE than, let's say, Ella Fitzgefarld, but is she a better VOCALIST? ... I PERSONALLY would say no ...

A double whammy grin

#371935 - 09/12/13 09:17 PM Re: Forget about Michael Buble ! [Re: Fran Carango]
chasbee Offline

Loc: Bristol UK.
There was a man who could sing as well as Frank Sinatra, his name was Matt Monro, but he didn’t have Sinatra’s stage presence or his acting ability.

#371937 - 09/13/13 12:44 AM Re: Forget about Michael Buble ! [Re: Fran Carango]
john smies Offline

Originally Posted By: chasbee
There was a man who could sing as well as Frank Sinatra, his name was Matt Monro, but he didn’t have Sinatra’s stage presence or his acting ability.

a triple wammy here grin grin grin

regards,
John

Edited by john smies (09/13/13 12:46 AM)

#371952 - 09/13/13 01:35 PM Re: Forget about Michael Buble ! [Re: john smies]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Once again, the confusion between 'entertainer' and 'artist' comes up here.

Who should get the most respect? I would hazard a guess that the 'entertainers' here probably elevate their own kind more than the 'musicians', the artists, creative trendsetters, pathfinders of the musical world.

Cliffy is a follower. Sinatra was a leader. Plain and simple.

Now, don't get me wrong. I think 'Summer Holiday' was one of the first films I went to see at a cinema (I was 6) and I always liked his hits, even into the 80's. The Shadows almost defined a 'sound' for a generation (although they leaned pretty hard on American surf guitar). In fact, I'd say influentially, the Shadows had more of an impact on music than Cliffy ever did.

Sometimes, you have to step back from what you liked as a kid, and try to put it into some kind of true perspective. The Beatles survive this kind of scrutiny. I'm sorry, but IMHO, Cliffy doesn't. He was part of the soundtrack of my childhood, and I'll never forget his catchy hits. But that's where it stops. He never influenced pop music, and never will. I like the reference to Matt Munroe. That's where Cliffy belongs... The 'almost made it' tribe. Just big enough to be remembered, not big enough to shape the future of pop.

#371954 - 09/13/13 01:45 PM Re: Forget about Michael Buble ! [Re: Diki]
john smies Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

Sometimes, you have to step back from what you liked as a kid, and try to put it into some kind of true perspective. The Beatles survive this kind of scrutiny. I'm sorry, but IMHO, Cliffy doesn't. He was part of the soundtrack of my childhood, and I'll never forget his catchy hits.

For starters Diki, there is no accounting for taste. So I have NO problem whatsoever with you thinking whatever you like about CR. I have been a modest fan for many years but I am not an addict, if you get my drift. I do find fault though with folks misrepresenting facts , worse with blatant ignorance.
Cliff Richard, au contraire with the Beatles and even the Stones, continued making contemporary music ( as in : belonging to the period in which it was produced) for many many years. As a matter of fact he had his greatest hit in 1979 with WE DONT TALK ANYMORE and DEVIL WOMAN. A string of hits followed in the 1980s but after that he became blacklisted in the British media. Whatever..............
If you listen to his 2006 Nashville album with 15 contemporary songs penned by 15 different composers , it ouzes quality and musicality. A long long way from Summer Holiday. If you got stuck in the past as far as Cliff music is concerned, do not blame the artist with the same disease my friend. And if you are happy dancing your days away on the old Sinatra stuff, be my guest wink

regards,
John

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online