SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#371823 - 09/10/13 12:18 AM So what’s your opinion of Michael Buble?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Are my missing something? There was discussion about the Michael Buble arrangement of Save The Last Dance For Me in another thread. Donny posted it....I listened to it....I read his bio on Wiki. I listened to his Sway, All I Do Is Dream Of You, and Save the Last Dance. I’m not impressed. I’ve heard his name bandied about for years, this is my first listen and I was very disappointed!

He picks really good songs to do, but....he’s NOT a singer, he’s a stylist. Are my correct? In the three songs I listened to, there wasn’t a hint that he could sustain a long note and hold it. Maybe in his other 1000 songs he’s done, but I didn’t hear it in these three.

Even as a song stylist, he has no "trademark" personality in his music. I mean, when you heard Elvis, or Englebert, or Tom Jones, you knew who you were listening to!

Also the production! How did they let those three songs go out with the orchestra overpowering the vocalist? Or is that to cover up/enhance his singing?

The one thing I was really knocked out with were the arrangements. Some of the best I’ve ever heard! Does anyone know anything about who’s doing his fantastic backing? I’d buy his album, not for the singing, but for the music they wrapped around him.

So maybe I’m comparing him too much to the master, Frank Sinatra, but....why not? There was the benchmark everyone should be matched against. The man could do arrangements just in his head....sing whatever he felt......do anything with that golden voice of his....including sustaining a note!

I’m really not understanding this new breed of vocalists who are piling up awards?

Now before anyone goes into “defense of Michael Buble,” I’m not saying I don’t think he’s any good. I AM saying, from what I've heard so far, he doesn’t sound to me like any more than a good “night club” act.

So, please, fill me in on what I’m missing? I’m looking forward to your assortment of assessments!

P.S. I’ve been thinking since Ron (musicforyourday) posted about what HE'S doing, that THERE is the way to hit it big in entertainment these days. Take those great “singable” songs from over the years and bring them back to life with arrangements like Buble has!

Mark

#371824 - 09/10/13 01:32 AM Re: So what’s your opinion of Michael Buble? [Re: Mark79100]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Over compression and smart (light) auto tune is obvious in his songs.

#371825 - 09/10/13 02:31 AM Re: So what’s your opinion of Michael Buble? [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
"Vanilla" is still the most popular flavor ice-cream...Toyota Camry is still one of the best selling cars. Neither are the most "exciting" but they are tried and true.

Combine that with the old saying, "People may not know what they like, but they like what they know."

Buble presents familiar material in a very palatable format for what I call, the "common ear".

As Mark said above, "He picks really good songs." They are "old reliables", and he (or his manager) knows his target audience very well and gives them what they know.

Just my 2 cents.

Ian

#371826 - 09/10/13 03:47 AM Re: So what’s your opinion of Michael Buble? [Re: Mark79100]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
I don't dislike him. smile

#371827 - 09/10/13 04:23 AM Re: So what’s your opinion of Michael Buble? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I sing over his arrangements in my Karaoke show for a fresh take on old standards. It goes over very well. Like you say, the arrangements are terrific. As for his singing, I think he is good, but not terrific, also.

Edited by Bernie9 (09/10/13 04:28 AM)

#371828 - 09/10/13 04:53 AM Re: So what’s your opinion of Michael Buble? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

who are we to judge?

#371830 - 09/10/13 05:16 AM Re: So what’s your opinion of Michael Buble? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Do you think he preordained by a higher power? Of course I can judge, like everyone else.

#371832 - 09/10/13 06:01 AM Re: So what’s your opinion of Michael Buble? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I was sort of amazed when Buble exploded onto the scene. Like he came from nowhere as the latest greatest. I totally agree his music is much better than his singing. I remember hearing he was the next Sinatra. That idea quickly faded.
The guy who I think could of been the next Sinatra and I'm a little dissappointed in is Harry Connick who really has some talent. He started out great with his big band, then changed gears to a small New Orleans Funk group and then decided he'd rather be an actor. I've seen him a few times and his first shows were the best. All that said who am I to knock success, just my opinion.

#371836 - 09/10/13 07:06 AM Re: So what’s your opinion of Michael Buble? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
He and/or his managers must be pretty savvy in the world of music. They pick the right songs for the audiences they target, the arrangements are incredible, and they obviously, sell a lot of songs. As to his vocals, they're smooth, even and consistently good. On stage, he has a lot of charisma, interacts well with his audiences, and always looks good for the ladies, something I feel is paramount for his type of entertainment. It's similar to the same thing Rod Stewart did when he decided that after cancer surgery for his throat to bring back the standards. IMHO, Rod Stewart has a lousy voice, even prior to his surgery, but I would sure love to have the income from his standards album sales.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#371840 - 09/10/13 07:34 AM Re: So what’s your opinion of Michael Buble? [Re: Mark79100]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Bob Rock produced his current album as well as several songs off of his previous albums. David Foster produced the majority of Buble's work. Two major music producers with serious track records.

Buble may not be your cup of tea but he's generic enough to cross multiple music genres and is fairly personable. Two factors that have helped him sell millions of albums worldwide. It didn't hurt that David Foster backed him financially. Both Canadians I might add.

Foster has " fostered" numerous Canadian acts to great success. Celine Dion being most notable.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online