SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#371360 - 08/30/13 10:40 AM Touch Keys goes into production
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The unique part is that it can be fitted to any keyboard (Or so it says) details here

Enjoy

Bill

#371363 - 08/30/13 11:40 AM Re: Touch Keys goes into production [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Are you adding it to your Wersi, Bill?

If not...why not?

The concept and application appear very cleverly done.

I'd only add it to an older instrument or, more likely, a cheap controller keyboard...not my Tyros4.

Ian

#371371 - 08/30/13 01:18 PM Re: Touch Keys goes into production [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Cost?

#371373 - 08/30/13 01:45 PM Re: Touch Keys goes into production [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

If the price is reasonable, it would be perfect on an inexpensive digital piano like Yamaha's NP-30 (which has Midi and 76 keys).

It didn't say if the pads were removable in case of need to replace.

Ian

#371388 - 08/30/13 07:51 PM Re: Touch Keys goes into production [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I do not see this as being remotely affordable for a long time.

#371395 - 08/30/13 09:50 PM Re: Touch Keys goes into production [Re: abacus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
One of last years graduates from my school was a music producer (FL Studio, mostly) and he always talked about the "touch sensitive keys" on his controller. Seems like the technology has been around for a while, and he LOVED it. You could slide your finger along the length of a key and trigger different effects. Seems impractical for a piano based technique, but if you're doing electronic recording of synth stuff .. who knows?

#371398 - 08/30/13 11:31 PM Re: Touch Keys goes into production [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Dave,

Many years ago (well, early 80's), a friend of mine had a very strange synthesizer(actually, the keybed/keyboard) was the "strange" part).

It was called a "Buchla", and it looked exactly like this one: http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/buchla400.php

No velocity response, just variable pressure sensitivity (a teensy bit like one of my first preset mono synths, the Roland SH-2000), but it was quite powerful in it's day and we used it for local CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) radio work (mainly doing ads/jingles and "do-nuts"). It had a primitive music score feature, and we used a computer monitor (first time I saw one) to program it. Digital oscillators and 6-Voice polyphony were very advanced for the day, but it was tedious to program and required a rather "unique" approach to playing.

He sold it a few years ago to a collector in Japan. We had ended up using my Roland Jupiter 8 and Mini-Moog as they were more intuitive (and slower=more $$$ for studio time).

The Buchla's "white keys" looked a bit like the key covers/pads in this new Touch Keys product.

Maybe it was similar to the one your music producer friend was using? They are pretty rare, in any case.

Ian

PS...I think Diki may be right...it's probably going to be pricey.

#371404 - 08/31/13 07:17 AM Re: Touch Keys goes into production [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

The article says it is being launched for all musicians, and as the vast majority of musicians are paupers (Or they say they are) it can’t be made too expensive or it will fail.

Bill

#371405 - 08/31/13 07:29 AM Re: Touch Keys goes into production [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

So Bill, to reiterate my first question, would you consider something like this for your present arranger if the cost was reasonable and reviews on it's operation were favorable?

Ian

#371424 - 09/01/13 01:18 AM Re: Touch Keys goes into production [Re: ianmcnll]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
So Bill, to reiterate my first question, would you consider something like this for your present arranger if the cost was reasonable and reviews on it's operation were favorable?

Ian

Stranger things have happened

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online