SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14 >
Topic Options
#370173 - 08/09/13 12:16 PM Re: My short demo of PSR-S950 [Re: Kabinopus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
IMO, still drowning out the backing with the keyboard sound, Kab.

The idea is to sound like you are playing IN a band, not ON a band!

#370175 - 08/09/13 12:37 PM Re: My short demo of PSR-S950 [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
IMO, still drowning out the backing with the keyboard sound, Kab.

The idea is to sound like you are playing IN a band, not ON a band!

I have to agree with Diki....you have to "SIT" within the mix always with music c or vocals..! keys

#370176 - 08/09/13 12:47 PM Re: My short demo of PSR-S950 [Re: Kabinopus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Kabinopus,

Using a volume pedal assigned to RH only, really adds to lead-line expressiveness, especially with sounds that increase in volume after the initial attack, such as Sax, Strings, Horns, and, most importantly, Organ. Pretty much a necessity, in my opinion, especially for instrumental music, but also vital when singing, as it lets you change RH volume without affecting the steady level of the accompaniment. Really handy when doing solos and/or playing licks behind the vocal.

I use a Yamaha FC-7 Expression Pedal...well made, smooth, and adjustable for standing or sitting, and very easy to set up.

Definitely a good investment as it can be used with a newer instrument, should you ever upgrade.

Ian

#370178 - 08/09/13 02:27 PM Re: My short demo of PSR-S950 [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
What you are talking about is called "mix-down". It’s indeed an issue here. But I don’t believe that reducing volume of my part during playing is solution here. You know that if a singer doesn’t hear his voice in monitors loud enough his singing will seem like struggle. PSR keyboards aren’t able to route parts to different outputs, that’s why we can’t do everything right during life performance. Well, I’m just trying to let it go for now.

As for the expression pedal, I have such thing from M-Audio and it works well. I tried FC-7 and it didn’t seem to me to be much better. Actually, the one from M-Audio let’s you to change its straight by turning a small wheel on it. You can make it to change the volume only slightly, not the whole way.

#370186 - 08/09/13 04:09 PM Re: My short demo of PSR-S950 [Re: Kabinopus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Kabinopus

As for the expression pedal, I have such thing from M-Audio and it works well. I tried FC-7 and it didn’t seem to me to be much better. Actually, the one from M-Audio let’s you to change its straight by turning a small wheel on it. You can make it to change the volume only slightly, not the whole way.

Hey, whatever works for you is best...I just happen to like the FC-7 and I'm used to it's response....M-Audio make some great stuff.

I find the volume pedal essential for my playing style, which is primarily instrumental music...perfect for swells on strings and organ, and also a nice way to add extra expressiveness to reed and brass instruments...nice on Distortion type guitars as well as Pedal Steel.

Getting the proper RH/Accompaniment balance comes with a lot of practice and getting used to the lead sound buried further in the mix when playing "live'. It took me awhile to get used to it, but my one take recordings were much the better for it, as well as the "live" results to the audience.

For recording, the fix is much easier, for, as you say, it can be fixed in the mix-down process. Of course, then you don't have as much control, unless the lead tracks were recorded separately.

Still, I must say your playing is very good, with lots of expression...I worked as a Yamaha demonstrator/clinician for well over 20 years, and it was a very rewarding and interesting job. I just retired a few months ago.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Ian

#370866 - 08/21/13 05:45 AM Re: My short demo of PSR-S950 [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

The thing about audio-styles: you can't record your performance with them on USB-drive. And another thing: "fill-ins" don't work if you call them too late.

Edited by Kabinopus (08/21/13 06:05 AM)

#370868 - 08/21/13 06:01 AM Re: My short demo of PSR-S950 [Re: Kabinopus]
Dnj Offline

Love the left hand bass great acoustic sound...the S950 guitars surly sounds terrific.....haunting melody well done!

#370870 - 08/21/13 06:10 AM Re: My short demo of PSR-S950 [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

Dnj, well, I guess you noticed that it's the same voice I play both hands ) As for guitars, we have them since PSR-S900 (or Tyros 2).

#370871 - 08/21/13 06:13 AM Re: My short demo of PSR-S950 [Re: Kabinopus]
Dnj Offline

Was that a small smile when you were playing? wink

#370875 - 08/21/13 07:06 AM Re: My short demo of PSR-S950 [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

Dnj, I'd smile all the time but when I'm playing it's easy to spoil the whole record with a minor distraction... ) which happens a lot...

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online