SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#370727 - 08/19/13 07:19 AM On line sellers/buyers BEWARE!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I recently posted this to craigslist, and thought I'd share it with you zoners!

I can't believe how corrupt and unfeeling things have gotten here on C/L - no disrespect to the creators and moderators, but the auto responses I get from EVERY single posting is at an all time high. Every new listing I post gets a reply with a lame, spammy, fake offer to buy.

People - make some way to be sure you are communicating with a HUMAN before you answer ANY email in response to a C/L email. Spam is rampant, and so cleverly disguised - keep your identity safe until you are satisfied that you are talking to a real, live person who read your ad and is interested in your gear.

Beware:

"is the item still available"
"I much like to buy your item"
"please consider offer for goods"

All tipoffs of a scammer.

SELLER BEWARE!!!!!!!!
To all the honest buyers, my hat's off to you! I've had great success on C'L ... the trick is to CYA.
(cover your a**)

smile

#370755 - 08/19/13 12:27 PM Re: On line sellers/buyers BEWARE! [Re: Uncle Dave]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I get that every time I post something there lately. Always "please give me your direct email so we can communicate". Anonymity is what protects you ..

#370763 - 08/19/13 05:53 PM Re: On line sellers/buyers BEWARE! [Re: Uncle Dave]
shim Offline

Loc: USA
Yup. The MAJORITY of the replies you'll get from a post are SPAM.
One trick is to write in the post that you'll only respond if theres a phone number in the reply. And even then, there are still sp/cammers....

BE CAREFUL! Don't be naive and think every reply you get is an actual interested buyer.

A common scam is, when you reply to the "buyer", they tell you a story how they cannot actually pick it up but they'll pay extra for shipping, cause their in the army/africa/overseas etc etc etc........ DONT BUY THAT. BE SMART.

#370855 - 08/21/13 12:07 AM Re: On line sellers/buyers BEWARE! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I actually bought my Camaro Z28 on CL. Of course I was buying it locally in person. But it worked out great for me and the seller.

#370979 - 08/23/13 08:52 AM Re: On line sellers/buyers BEWARE! [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use local CL quite a bit with no problems, but I made the mistake of posting a keyboard on Dallas CL, and got the crap in my mailbox for several months.
DonM

#371033 - 08/25/13 10:56 AM Re: On line sellers/buyers BEWARE! [Re: DonM]
Rfinnshw Offline

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Uncle Dave & All SZ responders,

Thanks for sharing your helpful advice.

I have never done any business on CL and your advice is greatly appreciated. headphone

Ron, in Port St. Lucie, FL

#371104 - 08/27/13 02:16 AM Re: On line sellers/buyers BEWARE! [Re: Rfinnshw]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I think when it comes to selling arranger keyboards and associated gear this forum is probably safer for you than anywhere else.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online