SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#370461 - 08/15/13 09:47 AM S-950 Onboard audio recorder...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been tuning, tweaking and tuning some more with the 950 for about two weeks solid - just about every day and night when I'm not out performing, or sailing, which is rare lately.

Most everything sounds fantastic, but there is one item that so far, has left something to desire - the onboard audio recorder. While I haven't had a lot of time to work with the settings, the factory default settings will provide you with a recording that is slightly distorted. I've tried lowering the input, but at this point, that hasn't solved all the problems. Therefore, this morning, I decided to record a couple versions of Bring Me Sunshine on the Zoom-H2, which always seems to do a great job.

The Zoom was connected to the keyboard's headphone output jack and the line in of the Zoom. The mic, my Crown CM-311A, is connected directly to the keyboard.s Mic/Line in. Recording #2 was done using the old mic settings, which was clear, but definitely had too much reverb. The other recording was done with half as much reverb, and a bit lower mic volume.

I'll let you guys decide which sounds best.

Bring Me Sunshine2

Bring Me Sunshine (new settings)

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#370463 - 08/15/13 10:16 AM Re: S-950 Onboard audio recorder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gary, I can tell you what I hear.....I thought the first recording was fine except for the right hand piano (solo)..It was a wide open piano..no dynamics, making it on the edge of distortion...Dialing back the volume would only be part of the solution..I would address the key touch or dial back the velocity of the piano part..

The second version is evident you modified EQ and levels for a more balance...but the piano is still the problem.I also thought bringing up the levels to balance the right hand, left no headroom, and all the tracks are on the edge of distortion..

I would just try to dial back velocity on the piano..

BTW: Of all the folks on SZ...I would choose you to tutor me vocally...I like the easy going vocals..Now do the same with that piano.. smile

#370464 - 08/15/13 10:27 AM Re: S-950 Onboard audio recorder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Fran, I'll take care of the piano/vibe combination when I get back from tonight's job.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#370520 - 08/16/13 10:42 AM Re: S-950 Onboard audio recorder... [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I'm gladd you posted that Gary becuase I've been working on this tune too. I love that 950 swing style, it's top notch all the way. I did enjoy your smooth vocals too. I can't really comment much on the mix (I just listed on my iphone without headphones) but the piano/vibes do seem a bit hot. Maybe the guitar comping as well. BTW, are you using the on board VH? What do you think of it compared to your Harmony M? If you can, I'd be interested in hearing some examples.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#370526 - 08/16/13 12:33 PM Re: S-950 Onboard audio recorder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think the mains distort a bit because everyone plays the RH voices TOO BLOODY LOUD!

#370541 - 08/16/13 02:32 PM Re: S-950 Onboard audio recorder... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Paul, I'm still working on the onboard, vocal harmonies, and probably will try a comparison between the onboard system and TC Helicon Harmony-M on Sunday. So far, though, the Harmony-M seems significantly better in every respect.

Diki, Unfortunately, I didn't bother to listen to the right hand before it was automatically selected by the OTS, which was a mistake. That was the default volume and it's just one of the many things that's on my list of things to do before taking this keyboard on the road.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#370552 - 08/17/13 03:17 AM Re: S-950 Onboard audio recorder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
travlin'easy, the 'freeze' button should help to avoid any unwanted changes (just set it up with 'direct access' button first)

#370560 - 08/17/13 08:32 AM Re: S-950 Onboard audio recorder... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Too loud OTS settings and default RH volumes that are too high are almost universal. All my Roland OTS's suffer from the same rubbish. I generally have to put the balance knob over to 75% accompaniment before I can play full strength without drowning out the backing!

I have a nasty feeling the manufacturers think that arrangers are played by people that have no finger strength at all...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online