SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#370332 - 08/12/13 01:36 PM Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for......
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
a quick vamp???

Idon't use the seq much, but just tried "Quick Record" method to generate a 4-bar vamp/loop.
wanted drums from a factory style, then wanted to add: bass, keys, flutes.
for some reason it wouldn't let me do Manual Bass - had to use the full style options. what's up with that?

is there a workaround?
what do you Korg players do when you need to build a quick short sequence (drums sourced from a style; everything else played or overdubbed...)

thanks in advance for any help -- also, does anyone know if the PA900 seq (both for 16 trks and "Backing Sequence" or Quick Reocrd) is the same as the PA3x?

TM

#370345 - 08/12/13 11:08 PM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Use quick record and just play the chords in your selected style. Save your song.Then use the full sequencer in the same song and punch in from the first bar of the bass track and manually play your bass line . Alternatively you can just overwrite the bass track in the full sequencer. both methods work .Save it again. Job Done. I hope that helps

Edited by spalding1968 (08/12/13 11:12 PM)

#370348 - 08/13/13 12:14 AM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
^^^ +1. Korg gives you pretty much anything you want/need. smile

#370378 - 08/13/13 01:33 PM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: spalding1968]
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
thank you!!!

this seemingly simple thing really eluded me. I followed yr instructions using Quick Record and then opening song in full sequencer and it was easy to do.

really appreciate this forum for this kind of wisdom....

#370381 - 08/13/13 01:43 PM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I still always do my initial 'capture' in my Roland's, then transfer to Cubase. I'm sorry, but while you CAN do most of what you want in an arranger's sequencer, who on earth would want to? LOL

Nice big 27" screen, mousing to select (or conditional selects), sophisticated editing options... Or a tiny screen and no mouse.

Tough choice!

#370389 - 08/13/13 04:32 PM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
spalding1968 Offline

It does what you need it to do Diki . Sometimes you don't need to have everything just to get your ideas nailed. I enjoy creating music on the instrument I actually play so its natural for me to sequence on my korg

Edited by spalding1968 (08/13/13 04:34 PM)

#370392 - 08/13/13 05:00 PM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I like to use the on board sequencer too...It is right there when you need it...

If you have a major project...the PC simplifies the work...even than ...I use the on board Roland sequencer..

#370420 - 08/14/13 09:32 AM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For me it's about ease of use. It's not that necessarily I am looking for MORE than the built-in can do (although that's handy for when you do need it!) but it's mainly about the SPEED of use.

A big screen and a piano roll display often makes it simplicity itself to visualize what's going on, to easily spot where things went south, and to quickly see what needs doing. Plus there are usually key combinations to do stuff like quickly select all the instances of just ONE note (say you want to select all the ride cymbal notes to raise or lower them) without having to type into fields, etc.. As you say, when laying things down quickly, you want speed. Thing is, I can do things ten times faster on a computer!

AND... when I've finished the MIDI editing part, the project is already in the DAW for laying down audio tracks to, or replacing some of the parts with VSTi's, etc.

One of the things that makes using a computer so easy for me is that, at home, I set up my keyboard at my computer workstation, with the nearfields wired in, ready to go. I've got something very similar to this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-Saturn-Multi-Level-Computer-Workstation-Black-and-Cherry/11003066 and with the keyboard above the mouse and keyboard drawer, the monitor above that and the nearfields on the outside, my arranger isn't just connected to my computer... it's a PART of my computer.

#370472 - 08/15/13 01:00 PM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
spalding1968 Offline

And just how portable is that setup Diki ?The whole purpose of having a sequencer built into the keyboard is that you can capture your ideas when you're inspired. I am normally inspired when I'm playing my keyboard and I don't just play my keyboard in the house. The gentleman that started this post initially wanted to make a quick recording. Using the keyboard in arranger style .He could not have done this using a standard sequencer as quickly as he did using the inbuilt sequencer . I showed him how and he is happy

. This is just a prime example of why people need a sequencer built into their arranger keyboard. This helps them capture ideas very quickly.

Edited by spalding1968 (08/15/13 01:11 PM)

#370497 - 08/15/13 10:24 PM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Spalding

Reading Diki’s post I get the impression that the computer is to easily get the file up to a top notch performance a lot easier than using the on-board sequencer.
For quick inspiration while you are playing your keyboard, than doing the basic recording on the on-board sequencer is fine. (Unless you regularly use a laptop live, which in that case you might as well use that)

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online