SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#370212 - 08/10/13 07:26 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Did you try to pan the harmony voices little bit left and right from the center? Maybe 10-2 o'clock.
Also, some lower settings for how quickly the harmonizer reacts to the signal might make it less robotic.
Did you also try a little bit higher level for the harmony voices?
These exercixes are very useful for us waiting to see and touch a Pa900 live. Thank you for them.

#370241 - 08/10/13 11:14 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Adimatis,
I honestly think I tried every little thing possible since I opened the box, and I'm still experimenting. I often place harmonies off center, and I ride the volume knob constantly to give a more human feel. I blend each song on the fly to the proper level that matches my lead and I try to use the harmony in a supportive and creative way. With all that said ... I have come to the conclusion that the built in mic section on the PA900 is simply not of a high enough quality for my needs, so I was forced to augment the setup with an outboard rig.

In 45+ years of entertaining, I have never, EVER had the "perfect" setup ... there's always a compromise somewhere. At this stage in my career, portability is huge, so I have made many sacrifices to accomplish the best setup for what exists today. I just may have it now.

#370274 - 08/11/13 09:57 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Dave,
I don't sing at all so the harmonizer is a non-issue to me, but I am definitely interested in this PA-900 because from the demo's heard so far it appears to have a lot of beautiful sounds, maybe not even present in the flagship PA3-X.
Is this true? Having had both, can you comment on the differences in sounds and styles between the two kb? On the manual they could even have the same names, but do they sound the same or are there clear differences?
Thanks

#370297 - 08/12/13 12:18 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Dave. It Spalding . I can't really provide any helpfull comments on the frustrations you're having with the harmoniser. But I do see that having listened to your demonstrations your vocals are excellent. Really great. Don't worry too much about the harmoniser. I have never heard one yet I really liked. And most performers used to much of it anyway.

#370306 - 08/12/13 06:37 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Dreamer]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Dreamer
Having had both, can you comment on the differences in sounds and styles between the two kb?

Well, I don't remember a difference in sounds or styles between the 3x and the 900. I've been using the Yamaha 950 for the last while, and I kinda forgot what the 3x sounded like. I will say that, like always, the Yamaha styles behave better for my "middle of the road stuff." I once equated Korg to Steve Gadd, and Yamaha to Ringo Star - both fantastic drummers, but Ringo knew just how much NOT to play. The Korg styles, in general, are a bit busy ... still.

I might just be "over Yamahized", but I find the key action of this 900 to be FANTASTIC. Better than I remember in the 3x. It's solid, responsive and very comfortable to play. That's one reason I'm trying so hard to make the other stuff work for me.

Originally Posted By: spalding
I never heard a harmonizer that I really liked ...

Wow - we differ there, my friend. I have been using harmonizers for 20 years, and gotten so much favorable reaction to the end result that I made it part of "my sound". I understand how many DO overuse it, but frequent use and OVER use are two separate things. I use it a lot, but I sing very differently when I use it - I think like a member of an ensemble, and not a lead singer ... I emulate my favorite vocal groups and try to capute the style of the song with the backgrounds blended in with the leads. Some of my favorite influences are:
Four Aces, Four Freshman, Four Lads, Manhattan Transfer, The Carpenters, Mills Brothers & Andrews Sisters (Yeah, I know - mostly OLD dead folks!)
I'm getting closer to the setup I want, and as soon as I'm there - I will do some dedicated recording of my "how to" use a harmonizer. I believe it's SO much more than hitting the footswitch to turn it on. It's a mindset and a change of approach.

As a solo entertainer, it's become a huge part of my sound to incorporate harmony, even if it's just on the main chorus parts of songs. My specialty numbers benefit from more intricate usage, but even an old, tired song like "Old Time R&R" comes alive when you add the harmonies to the chorus. It's just lifeless and boring with one, lonely voice singing that mid section.
In a more contemporary vein, Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours", Train's "Soul Sister" and Bruno Mars' "Lazy or Just the Way You Are" all shine like the sun with harmony on the chorus. As I mention it, Colbie Calait's "Brighter than the Sun" is another fine example.

So many songs can be spiced up with a tasteful addition of vocal harmony. Remember ... most of our audiences are NOT players, but I'll bet MOST like to sing ... at least in private. People relate to words, so I give 'em their fill!

#370317 - 08/12/13 09:27 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I'm with spalding, your vocals are excellent on either mic!

#370318 - 08/12/13 09:28 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I fully agree with Dave about the Harmonizer usage. I've been using them for longer than I would like to admit, and over the past few years they have really improved - even the onboard harmonizers.

That said, there are times when I don't think the audiences even notice that you are using the harmonizer. They tell you that the song sounded great, and they'll be out there on the dance floor singing along with you, but when you ask "How did you like the three-part harmony?" they often give you a blank stare and ask "What harmony?". On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've had people come up to me and say "Where are the other two singers I keep hearing?" Those of usually the folks that don't think you are playing at all, and either lip-synching, or singing over a CD and that's why they hear harmony.

I've heard UD on several occasions when he used his harmonizer(s) and I, for one, can attest that Dave is the master of vocal harmonizers. His vocals are superb without the device, but the addition of the harmonizer on some songs add significantly to an already outstanding vocal performance.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#370323 - 08/12/13 11:11 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The 'perfect' setup is three great singers on stage with you!

Even IF a VH unit came out that was indistinguishable from real singers (and a few are getting close!), you STILL have the problem that they can ONLY sing when you do! Try to find much in the way of BV's that do that!

That's probably my biggest issue with VH... Even if they are PERFECT, they are still wrong! And they are still a LONG way from perfect!

#370324 - 08/12/13 11:13 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
At least my harmony singers never run off with the bass player, don't do drugs or have babies!! smile
DonM

#370325 - 08/12/13 11:19 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
DITTO! party

Additionally, mine never call in sick, don't show up late, and I only had to pay for mine one time - after that they were all freebees!

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online