SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#370047 - 08/07/13 02:53 AM Arranger for electronica, trance, ambient music
Vlad Offline

Loc: USA
Hi all,

I'm in a search of an arranger keyboard that is most suitable for electronica, trance, ambient type of music (gotta have nice relevant drum kits and sounds with possibility to add from vendor's site, etc).

The current options as I see it are psr s950, bk-9, korg pa900 (or such) - am I correct or there's more to consider?

So in your opinion and experience what's the most suitable for my needs?

Thank you,
Vlad

#370049 - 08/07/13 05:03 AM Re: Arranger for electronica, trance, ambient music [Re: Vlad]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I think any of those keyboards could work well. The cool thing about the Korg PA 600/900 and the Roland BK 9 is that they have the chord looping feature which I think would really be a plus for the modern music that you like. Also the Roland has the audio looper which could be quite effective for your needs. Good luck!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#370052 - 08/07/13 05:42 AM Re: Arranger for electronica, trance, ambient music [Re: Vlad]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
There're nice dance styles in PSR-S950 (including audio-styles), as for voices, it has the same set of synth-voices as PSR-S910/PSR-S750 does which is quite good, too. But I believe that for this sort of music it's essential to have an arpeggiator and knob-controllers. The Yamaha MM6 has such things, but on the other hand it's quite limited in other aspects - poor navigation, poor polyphony and I don't like its voices much.

I guess that this sort of music is mainly produced not as life-time performance but as part-by-part type of working, using PC or MAC, Motif and other stuff - but this's just a guess.

Edited by Kabinopus (08/07/13 05:43 AM)

#370054 - 08/07/13 05:52 AM Re: Arranger for electronica, trance, ambient music [Re: Vlad]
Dnj Offline

"Alot of it will have to do with what type of hip hop sound you want. If you are looking for the new school techno/dance/synthy hip hop then the sky's the limit with alot of the new soft synts out there like Massive.

If you are looking for that old school type hip hop, then basic bread & butter sounds for bass, strings, keys are sufficient (such as trilogy, kontact, kore player/packs, lizard lounge 3, etc)"

"s-950 is very nice for drums, i prefer it to the sp-1200 as it has less of a ring mod sound to it, especially if you drive them a bit & lower the bit rate they still hold clarity while still sounding dirty.

If your just gonna use it for drums you could get the much cheaper younger brother s900. Although depending on how you like your drums you may find both the s900/950 unsuitable for some hi-hats without doing some fine tuning on your eq. - I would recommend a good outboard EQ or mixer for your situation if you don't already have one.

Personally i hate the virus sound and find it very predictable & very easy to get boarded with. But i could say that for a lot of VS. I already own a ATC-1, its a great synth to have for bass and both leads i think you will be pleased. I would say wait until you have the ATC before you buy another synth. Don't know what the Andromeda is saying, never used one but i would say theres nothing wrong in having two SE units. I.E. the se-1 for bass and atc-1 for leads."

Edited by Dnj (08/07/13 05:54 AM)

#370063 - 08/07/13 08:10 AM Re: Arranger for electronica, trance, ambient music [Re: Vlad]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
My suggestion to you (which will probably irk a few people here).., is to stay away from both Roland and Yamaha for this, and IF you HAD to choose between the Roland and Yamaha for these styles, I'd suggest the Roland.

The type of music you're wanting to play/record (which I'm sure you know) is an ever changing category of music. Typically for these styles of music you really (IMO) should look towards a synth/workstation because they have sequencers, patch editing, and other features that are tailored specifically for those styles.

However.., if you prefer the arranger for this.., I would strongly suggest you look at the Korg line up. Korg IMO does a much better job at combining both a fully editable synth engine with an arranger. Plus (although it's subjective), Korg, IMO has a sound set more adequate for these styles too.

I play and write the same styles of music, but I won't use my arranger for it (currently Yamaha PSR-S700). For these styles I use my Roland Juno-Di. My Di's an excellent example of how even inexpensive performance synths differ in comparison with arrangers for these styles. My $700 Di has a set of kits for electronica that surpass the S-950 (especially due to the ability to actually tweak each individual part of the drum kit with the software editor.

I then use my computer with a DAW for sequencing.

Sqk
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#370065 - 08/07/13 09:14 AM Re: Arranger for electronica, trance, ambient music [Re: Vlad]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There's no 'audio' looper on the Roland BK-9. The Chord Sequencer is a MIDI feature. Although, in practice, you might think them somewhat similar, one of the things an audio looper will do is loop YOUR playing, but a Chord Sequencer only loops the chords that you played (and you can still determine style, fills and Variations after it is 'recorded')

On the whole, if you are doing ambient, trance, that sort of thing, you are looking more for a keyboard that uses arpeggiators rather than an arranger. Sure, you can do somewhat similar stuff with arrangers (on the surface), but part of modern electronica's sound is the use of complex arpeggiators.

The BIG difference between arps and styles is that and arpeggiator plays what you play, whereas an arranger looks at what you played, and then tries to interpret it as a conventional chord type. And then plays THAT, not what you played..!

It's a subtle, but important difference.

But if you are determined to go with an arranger, I'd probably go for the one with a sampler on board. That makes it the Korg's (Yamaha's Tyros sampler is useless, as you can ONLY put Yamaha content into it - there's no multi-sample import at all). Plus Korg's voice editing is more in depth and WS-like than most arrangers.

However, the BK-9 might also be a good choice... It has a HUGE choice of synth sounds and pads (but with more limited voice editing than the Korg's), but the thing that puts it over the top is the ability to play audio loops in sync with the arranger, so if you have a library of trance or ambient loops, you can incorporate these easily into your performance. The sky is the limit when you start to add audio loops!

On the whole, I think, if I were looking for something to make this kind of music out live (if you are shooting for at home only, or in a studio, there are a plethora of VSTi packages out there FAR better than any keyboard made) I would make my choice between the Korg PA900 or the BK-9. And, truth be told, I'd probably pick the Korg (even though I'm a Roland user!).

Best of luck.

#370066 - 08/07/13 10:48 AM Re: Arranger for electronica, trance, ambient music [Re: Vlad]
Vlad Offline

Thank you all for your suggestions.

If I'll consider BK-9, is it possible (besides creating my own) to edit styles on it, modify them, change the pattern of a drum part, and so on?

#370067 - 08/07/13 11:19 AM Re: Arranger for electronica, trance, ambient music [Re: Vlad]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
BK-9... All of the above, and now also, full user drumkit creation, and modification of the drum sounds themselves. For people doing electronica, being able to edit the kit radically is quite important.

You are no longer stuck using the drumkits provided, but can create User Kits using ANY drum sound in the entire instrument, along with some pretty heavy editing of each individual drum sound.

Part of the new 1.06OS...

#370072 - 08/07/13 11:48 AM Re: Arranger for electronica, trance, ambient music [Re: Diki]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Wow! That's one he'll of an addition to the BK-9 with drum editing. That really opens up the possibilities with this unit now for electronica.

I'm always tweaking kits with my Di's editor. Great to see this on the BK-9.

Edited by squeak_D (08/07/13 11:49 AM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#370073 - 08/07/13 11:50 AM Re: Arranger for electronica, trance, ambient music [Re: Vlad]
Vlad Offline

Sounds good!

Another question: will I miss something of the BK-9 if I'll get BK-7 instead and attach it to Motif of something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online