SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#370043 - 08/06/13 07:32 PM Korg Pa900 First Impressions
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I swallowed hard when Fedex delivered it with a big hole in the side of the box, but all looked well inside. Phew.

I love the light weight, and the bright touch screen is awesome. I had a Pa2X, and this is much larger and more sensitive.

It took me quite a while to work out the global settings I needed, having had a Tyros 4 for the last 21 months. And then looked for the save to global. Eventually I figured out that you no longer need to do that, it keeps your global and locked settings in memory even when you turn it off. Cool.

The Master EQ frustrated me for a while, since I seemed to be making changes but nothing happened. Finally I realized that you need to turn Master EQ ON, and then the thing came alive. I set mine at +1.5/0/+1.5/+3.0 for the internal speaker configuration and I am very impressed with the sound, both the overall volume and clarity. I’m going to try using it in smaller locations with the internal speakers alone.

I played around with the mic settings but at this moment I am perfectly happy with the default settings for my Countryman E6 mic. Experience in different locations will refine this, but making the changes is easy. I do quite a bit of talking during the program, and setting up Talk on one of the assignable switches takes the reverb down to a natural level. I wish the light would stay lit when selected, so that I could see the setting it was in (On or Off – there’s no indication on the touchscreen either). At the moment it lights briefly when you touch it, either way.

I erased the factory songbook and started my own, and once again it was tricky to work out how to save the settings you need, but once I figured it out setting up the next songs were a piece of cake. I loved the reworked styles that I was used to playing, and the sounds were great, the new Concert Grand Piano, Real Strings, Concert Strings, Movie Strings, Trumpet Expr. are awesome. Again making changes to the styles to my taste is relatively straightforward (eg changing out distortion guitar for more strings in a Rock Ballad style). I love the Korg sequence Pads, especially the Piano Arpeggios and Strings, and have really missed them on the Tyros. I never managed to find the time to find them (I’m sure they are out there) but the ones I love are right there in the Korg menu.

I couldn’t get enough done to set it up for tomorrow’s gigs, shame, but I saved all my work to a USB drive (just in case). I can’t wait to put it through its paces in a real situation. So far, I am thrilled.

#370046 - 08/06/13 10:22 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Thanks, keep the impression coming! Congrats.

#370050 - 08/07/13 05:36 AM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Graham,

Thanks for the feedback looks like the Pa900 is going to do the job for you. Congratulations!

#370087 - 08/07/13 07:19 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Well, I came home from my morning gig and just pushed myself to do enough to get ready to take the new keyboard out in the afternoon. I'm glad I did, since I learned a lot! But I also got good feedback from the activity staff on the sound, phew!

Personally, I am struggling with the keyboard feel. I have got used to being able to apply virtually the same pressure at the inside of the key as to the outside, and that won't work with the Pa900. It is much more like a weighted piano key. I remember that about my earlier Korg Pa's, but that's going to be a re-learning process for me!

The Talk button worked well for me, but I was struggling to remember to press it after playing and before playing again. On further examination, I find that there is a menu option that will apply this automatically for you when you stop playing and turn the Talk feature off when you start up again. How cool is that!

O boy, do I love that songbook. It is time-consuming to set up all the different settings for each song, but once that's done the song is easy to find, and even better you can easily create a playlist for the gig you're playing.

I can't wait to get out tomorrow morning!

Edited by PraiseTheLord (08/07/13 07:22 PM)

#370092 - 08/07/13 10:22 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Graham,
Try lowering the effects knob instead of using the "talk" button- it's right there for instant use.

#370095 - 08/07/13 11:42 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: Uncle Dave]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Guy's

Try setting talk to auto (manual page 247) it automatically changes when the style stops.

Col

#370100 - 08/08/13 04:18 AM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: Saswick]
PraiseTheLord Offline

That's a good option Dave, it's an immediate visual indicator too!

I'm looking forward to seeing how Auto works this morning.

#370133 - 08/08/13 07:58 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: Saswick]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Saswick
Hi Guy's

Try setting talk to auto (manual page 247) it automatically changes when the style stops.

Col

The problem with that setup is that you can never sing with the arranger off and still have your effects on your voice. I do lots of stuff without, before and after the arranger section gets turned on. In fact, I never use the talk button at all - if I have to talk for more than a few words ... I'll just lower the effects knob.

#370137 - 08/08/13 08:23 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: Uncle Dave]
PraiseTheLord Offline

I see now Dave why you prefer that approach. I almost always have the arranger on when singing, and talk quite a bit between songs, so it seems an attractive option at the moment.

However time and real-time use will make the decision for me.

#370180 - 08/09/13 03:01 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
mweuch Offline

Is there any online comparison between the PA900 and the PA3X? Or is it just the colors?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online