SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#369317 - 07/19/13 12:43 AM PA3X recording questions
ytlevine Offline

I need to make a MIDI recording of a song, with a style as the backing.
I see how to start with the Quick Record mode, but I have 2 questions:
Is there any way to mute the drum track from my first low part, and then turn it back on afterwards?
Also, if I use the transpose buttons while recording a song, will the transposition save as part of the recording? Meaning, will the notes be recorded as the notes I'm actually playing, before the transpose function, or the notes that everything was transposed to, after the transpose function?
Thanks a lot!

#369359 - 07/20/13 08:39 AM Re: PA3X recording questions [Re: ytlevine]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Experiment and see what happens is my suggestion...

#369364 - 07/20/13 11:19 AM Re: PA3X recording questions [Re: ytlevine]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm pretty sure you can mute, unmute, change on the fly, and do almost anything to the panel adjustments during recording. Like Roger said ... just try it and see. I never did any complicated recordings when I had it ... just pushed the button and started the song. Good Luck!

#369382 - 07/21/13 01:16 AM Re: PA3X recording questions [Re: ytlevine]
ytlevine Offline

Didn't see any way to mute the track when within the Quick Record mode...
Will look again tomorrow.
Thanks!

#369391 - 07/21/13 06:45 AM Re: PA3X recording questions [Re: ytlevine]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Try pulling the volume slider down in real time!

#369402 - 07/21/13 02:37 PM Re: PA3X recording questions [Re: ytlevine]
ytlevine Offline

Might work, just not excited about having to raise the volume again to the default position manually...

#369443 - 07/22/13 11:55 AM Re: PA3X recording questions [Re: ytlevine]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Why not record the whole thing, THEN edit the SMF to either mute, or erase the bits you don't want?

#369484 - 07/23/13 01:31 PM Re: PA3X recording questions [Re: ytlevine]
ytlevine Offline

For now, pretty much doing that - I ended up recording a MP3 from the MIDI file for now, and I muted the track and then unmuted it when I needed it.
Seems to work, but it would be so much easier to let you mute/unmute individual tracks even in Quick Record mode, like Yamaha lets you do.

#369492 - 07/23/13 07:20 PM Re: PA3X recording questions [Re: ytlevine]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
TBH, it's just more stuff to get wrong if you have to lift your hands from playing to activate.

If you are doing mission critical stuff (you are going to record it to audio later, etc.) it makes sense to not only not worry about stuff you can edit later, but also to make a pass with the tempo a bit slower than usual (you can always speed it up a hair later) and maybe not play the RH solo until the backing is laid down.

Sure, it takes a bit longer, but you end up with stuff that's a LOT tighter and more polished...

#369500 - 07/23/13 11:01 PM Re: PA3X recording questions [Re: ytlevine]
ytlevine Offline

The problem is that you get one shot at the backing track(s), as far as I can tell - if you mess up, you have to start again from scratch.
On Yamaha arrangers, I was able to punch in the style tracks (9-16) while playing the style, to fix a wrong chord, or something like that.
I also can't stand not being able to use sync start on the PA3X, which would let me start playing something in the right hand before starting the style by playing a chord with my left hand...
I normally lay down a guide RH track first, then go back and lay down my main RH tracks once everything else is finished. I was able to get that to work, using the full Sequencer on top of the already recorded Quick Recording.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online