SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#369027 - 07/14/13 11:14 AM Playing out with style
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
http://www.youtube.com/embed/kPvciIdDZAE

Bernie sent this to me – great. Great for laughs and for learning. Learning? What a keyboard player should do when he plays a Mp3. Move around, jump into the audience (the video shows you some perks) and put some showmanship into your performance.

If you are playing a Midi File you can do the same thing using your own mic. The guy moves around great; even with the ladies.

Yeah, easily said. I never had the guts to do that stuff when I played. If I had the chance to do it all over again it would be part of my act.

Recently I watched a video of myself playing at a nursing home; I could have passed for one of the inmates.

Life is good, John C.

#369054 - 07/15/13 06:10 AM Re: Playing out with style [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Excellent enjoy that!! Thanx

#369056 - 07/15/13 07:08 AM Re: Playing out with style [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
John
You are too modest. You have very good stage presence.

Bernie

#369057 - 07/15/13 08:08 AM Re: Playing out with style [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Until recently, I used to put on a style file that was nothing more than a bass with finger snaps, pick up my wireless, handheld mic, and walk through the audience singing "Fever" to the ladies. THEY LOVED IT! I have a new wireless system, but haven't had the time to do the installation of the receiver and power pack.

And the ability to move around the keyboard, stand up once in a while during the middle of a song, and never loose contact with the mic position is another example of the advantage of using a headset mic. You can have a lot of fun on stage, especially when you're in motion - it can be contagious.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#369060 - 07/15/13 08:31 AM Re: Playing out with style [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary ... that sounds great, but how did the bass notes change to match the chords of the song while you were off stage singing to the ladies? confused1

#369063 - 07/15/13 09:14 AM Re: Playing out with style [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

It didn't change - but I was the only one that knew it. wink The style I used was originally for the Pink Panther theme song, so most of the first variation was nothing more than a finger snap and light bass sound.

Usually, towards the end of the song, I would walk back to the keyboard, change to a higher level variation, do the last verse, and finish the song, often to a standing ovation. I loved doing that song in that manner, and there was no question that ladies in the audiences loved it as well.

Unfortunately, some individuals decided that when I was doing this song, everything was automatic, kinda like Karaoke, therefore, every song, as far as they were concerned, was nothing more than Karaoke. Then, and I love this part, there are some that sincerely believed it was not me singing, and that I was lip-syncing the songs. I was confronted by a middle-aged couple one night that were sitting at a table just 15 to 20 feet away from me, and while I was singing "An Evening In Roma" the guy said to the other couple, "He's not really singing - he's lip-synching the song." Now, as you know, I work pretty damned hard at learning and perfecting songs I sing in ALL languages. It difficult learning to sing an Italian song, in Italian, and not having the ability to speak the language, and takes a lot of time and practice. So this guy's statement really pissed me off.

Towards the end of the song, while the 8-beat Adriatic style was still playing, I said "Now, it just came to my attention that a few audience members think it's not me playing or singing and that everything is prerecorded music - it's not. So, this is for the lovely ladies at Table #1 that are accompanied by a couple old codgers." At this point I ended the Italian song, then immediately switched styles to a great 6/8-beat and went into a two-song, Elvis medley consisting of "The Wonder Of You and Can't Help Falling In Love With You." The ladies loved it, the guys with them stood and applauded, danced with the ladies, and when the night ended one of the men came up to me and said "Wow! I would never have believed that it wasn't prerecorded music and you were just lip-synching - that's incredible." He also asked me to email him a copy of my schedule so he and his friends could be at the other public locations when I performed.

Bottom line: The more you can interact with the audiences, the better those audiences will accept you and your performances. From my perspective, an OMB entertainer is just that - an entertainer, much more so than a musician.

Gary cool

#369070 - 07/15/13 09:51 AM Re: Playing out with style [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The minute you step away from playing the keyboard, and go out front while the backing (in ANY form continues), you open the door to the karaoke label. It's hard enough to persuade today's karaoke crazed kids (of all ages!) that you are playing anything at all even when you DON'T go out front, especially when they hear bass, drums, guitars, strings, horns and everything else from one person, but walk away from a playing arranger, you deserve everything you get..!

I have a sneaky feeling why today, guitarists are very successful at getting the solo jobs. Other than a looper, perhaps, it's still basically them, and their guitar. No gimmicks, no karaoke, no excuses. I believe the audiences are more responsive to something they can believe in.

Back in the 80's, and 90's, when MIDI was in its infancy, when audiences hadn't seen it a million times before, yes, we sort of ruled the roost. But technology caught up with the audience... they can do much of what we did themselves, now. Anyone can press 'Play' on a cheap iPod, and have pro sounding backup. They can open a laptop app and have BIAB or other more user friendly backing apps accompany their singing.

But there is no shortcut to playing a guitar! Put a guitar in the hands of a pro and an audience member, utterly different results. Put an arranger (playing SMF's) in the hands of a beginner, and he will often sound IDENTICAL to the pro, if the pro uses a full sequence (many do). The only difference would be the singing, and just about ANYONE can sing!

We got lazy, we painted ourselves into a corner, and now, the only way we can distinguish ourselves is by gimcrack showmanship, not musical talent! Our audience caught up with us, and left us nowhere to go. But gimmicks... Kind of wish I'd learned guitar better!

#369077 - 07/15/13 10:58 AM Re: Playing out with style [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Well, Diki, I agree pretty much with everything you just posted, with one exception - "just about ANYONE can sing!" Or maybe you should have clarified that statement to say "Just about ANYONE thinks they can sing!" Everyone that ever interviewed for American Idol, America's Got Talent, Briton's Got Talent, etc..., all sincerely believed they could sing. Most couldn't carry a tune in a 5-gallon bucket. I've met a lot of have guitar will travel entertainers that are in that category as well. They can sing a couple songs well, while the remainder of their vocal repertoire just plain sucks. The only reason most get hired, at least anywhere I've been, is mainly because they work cheap. And, from what I've seen during the past few years, the number of OMB arranger keyboard players working the restaurant, nite-club/bar circuit is dwindling, probably because there are just not many of us left - anywhere. I'd venture a guess there are at least 200 bars, restaurants and nite-clubs in the Baltimore metropolitan area that have some sort of musical entertainment most nights of the week. And most, not all, are either KJ or DJ, or a single with a guitar. Duos and trios are almost non-existent now, and there may be a half-dozen arranger keyboard players working as OMBs - that's it. I remember when there are two dozen guys in Little Italy alone that were piano-bar player/singers. Now, there may be two and they only perform weekends at best. Many years ago, I was one of those have guitar will travel guys - and I'm damned glad I no longer am. Diki, you're still pretty young, so you should have no trouble picking up a good 12-string and playing the bar/nite-club/restaurant circuit.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#369082 - 07/15/13 11:51 AM Re: Playing out with style [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

So, this is for the lovely ladies at Table #1 that are accompanied by a couple old codgers."
Gary cool

... fortunately for you one of the 'old codgers' didn't get up and punch you in the nose ... darthvader grin

I admit to using an SMF for "Mack The Knife" and "NY NY" - among a few others - and would love to get in front of the KB to sing those songs ... but as Diki said, I don't want the audience to think EVERYTHING I play is pre-recorded ...

Edited by tony mads usa (07/15/13 11:52 AM)

#369093 - 07/15/13 01:16 PM Re: Playing out with style [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bit more competition round my area than you might think. Some very talented guitarists working the club and restaurant scene.

And, let's be real... You do a grand job, but how many of the user demos here didn't make you cringe the minute they sang (often earlier!)? Whole LOT of people have higher opinions of their own playing than other might give them (were they not members on a forum together!). TBH, I know of more good singers that have regular jobs than I do of pros. Singing is the last refuge of 'natural talent' left in this technological age.

And, I'm sorry, but the miute you sit down at a keyboard and more than just a piano or Rhodes sound comes out, the minute you have bass and drums and some guitars going on, don't kid yourself. Your audience doesn't care SQUAT whether you use an arranger or an SMF. You are giving them far too much credit! All they know is they can SEE you aren't playing it all. They know karaoke when they see it....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online