SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#369021 - 07/14/13 08:13 AM Dance Music for 20s-30s Somethings
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
I have a four hour booking where I need to perform as a solo act for 40 minutes and play recorded dance music for the remaining 20 minutes of each hour. I use a Yamaha Tyros 2 arranger keyboard to play and sing a variety of pop standards, 60s R&B–soul, 70s disco, country(lite) and soft rock. Problem is during each 20 minute segment I'm supposed to play dance music recordings that people in their 20s and 30s would like. Being 74 years old I don't know what recordings to play for them. I've read some general suggestions such as, “play some 1980s and maybe some more recent things like Maroon 5, Adele or Lady Gaga”. While that helps some, I really need actual song titles. I realize that simply playing some recorded music is not being a DJ. But, that is not what my client is expecting. They do want their younger adult guests to have some dance music they might enjoy. Just wondering if any of you on this forum could offer some suggestions.
Thanks,
DVJ

#369023 - 07/14/13 10:05 AM Re: Dance Music for 20s-30s Somethings [Re: deatonent]
Dnj Offline

I would say your in trouble when those kids start requesting songs if you don't know or have them already,.......that said, I would suggest you go on some Top requested DJ song websites and look at some of their lists of songs for dancing to get an idea of what the average people at today affairs like then add to your selections....especially the popular line dances also like electric slide, cupid shuffle, cha cha slide, the Wobble dance, paradise by the dashboard lights, footloose, YMCA, twist, hot hot hot, etc,..good luck out there..

http://www.djintelligence.com/pages/mobilebeatprint.asp

http://triaddj.com/resources/playlists/top-100-most-requested-songs/

http://www.heydjbobby.com/top-200-most-requested-songs.html

headphone

Edited by Dnj (07/14/13 10:08 AM)

#369033 - 07/14/13 04:21 PM Re: Dance Music for 20s-30s Somethings [Re: deatonent]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Good advice from Donny. I think a bigger issue is doing 40 minutes of your keyboard stuff which I assume is oldie oriented and then jumping in the DJ thing for the others for 20 minutes. Its tough to go back to the mellower keyboard standards once you start the current party music. I would suggest doing the keyboard at appropriate times, like in the beginning , cocktail hour if there is one, during dinner, and a few sections in between the dance music with some slower tunes for romantic dancing. This all of course depends on the crowd and using your experience to read them.
Have a great gig.

#369034 - 07/14/13 04:56 PM Re: Dance Music for 20s-30s Somethings [Re: deatonent]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Doesn't hurt to play a ballad at the end of your DJ break... Then when you come in with a 70's uptempo tune, you'll be high energy by comparison to what went directly before..!

#369035 - 07/14/13 05:45 PM Re: Dance Music for 20s-30s Somethings [Re: Diki]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have found that it is good to announce that XXXXXXX music will played so that they do question the new sound.

Either way you have just entered the battle for survival for a senior musician.

The best for you, John C.

#369037 - 07/14/13 07:52 PM Re: Dance Music for 20s-30s Somethings [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Good advice from Donny. I think a bigger issue is doing 40 minutes of your keyboard stuff which I assume is oldie oriented and then jumping in the DJ thing for the others for 20 minutes. Its tough to go back to the mellower keyboard standards once you start the current party music. I would suggest doing the keyboard at appropriate times, like in the beginning , cocktail hour if there is one, during dinner, and a few sections in between the dance music with some slower tunes for romantic dancing. This all of course depends on the crowd and using your experience to read them.
Have a great gig.

This makes much better sense to me. But often times we have no say in the matter... Maybe the host/event planer has a good reason for this sequence of KB/DJ alternation but seems very disjointed to me.

Anyways, I'd really like to hear how it goes for you. I've been kind of thinking about promoting my duo/band as live a music act/DJ so your question is quite timely.

Best wishes.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#369058 - 07/15/13 08:11 AM Re: Dance Music for 20s-30s Somethings [Re: deatonent]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
It all comes down to the host not realizing what really works at the actual party. A million times I've had people give me their input about what should happen and when it comes down to the actual gig 99% of the time it all flies out the window. What they thought would work sitting in their living room sometimes doesn't fit. You try to follow their wishes as much as possible but need to use your experience to do the best job. In the end if everyone has a good time they're happy with whatever you choose to do.
You don't state if there's a particular reason for the 40/20 thing but I think if you mix it up for everyone you'll do fine.

#369059 - 07/15/13 08:28 AM Re: Dance Music for 20s-30s Somethings [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
So true, Bill !!!
When we had our band in NY (and I realize it was in another era) we would have brides-to-be and family members dictating what they wanted played and then the night of the wedding the guests would have tons of different requests ... I remember one bride who said "No line dances" ... when we got the requests for 'The Chicken Dance' etc. we just told them to ask the bride ... invariably the bride would give in ...

#369068 - 07/15/13 09:42 AM Re: Dance Music for 20s-30s Somethings [Re: deatonent]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree 100%! There are always people who know absolutely nothing about being an entertainer and reading an audience, but they love to tell you how to do your job. And, weddings, well, Tony just spelled out one of the many reasons I no longer do them unless the bridge and groom are over 55 years of age.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#369153 - 07/16/13 10:13 AM Re: Dance Music for 20s-30s Somethings [Re: deatonent]
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
Many Thanks. As usual your posts are very helpful. The engagement is August 3. If I survive I'll report back to let you know how it worked out.
DVJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online