SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#368525 - 07/04/13 12:30 AM Alternatives to Roland GR33
Stringtheorist Offline

I currently augment my live guitar performances with a Roland GR33 synth module and a Yamaha G1D hex pickup but I find the Roland's sound set quite limiting and am considering moving to a software-based solution. For recording, I like EastWest's Play and Native Instruments' Kontakt Player, and I was wondering how a MacBook Air (smallest version) would handle these programs during live performance? I don't need a huge number of samples, as I only require some organ, strings, piano, trumpet and a couple of synth sounds. Would the Macbook Air have enough memory? (I'd rather not have to drag around a separate hard drive for samples but I guess if I could fit them on a memory stick...)

I would welcome any suggestions re. choosing hardware and software for this application.

As far as my guitar sound is concerned, I am very happy with my Fractal Audio Axe-FX II and intend to continue using this.

Edited by Stringtheorist (07/04/13 12:31 AM)

#368595 - 07/05/13 03:35 PM Re: Alternatives to Roland GR33 [Re: Stringtheorist]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have a great MidiFly for sale ... it's an awesome guitar in it's own right with electric and acoustic sounds bult in - then there's midi too!
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec99/articles/parkermidifly.htm
Let's talk.
Dave

#368718 - 07/08/13 08:23 AM Re: Alternatives to Roland GR33 [Re: Stringtheorist]
Stringtheorist Offline

Why are you selling Dave?

#368725 - 07/08/13 10:11 AM Re: Alternatives to Roland GR33 [Re: Stringtheorist]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Since the advent of harmonizers that respond to guitar inputs, I no longer have to rely on midi to get the signal to the vocal processor.. I don't use too many gimmicks when I play guitar, so the harmony was my priority - now that I have that ... I prefer playing my LINE 6 modeling guitar ... more guitar sounds and tunings. The MidiFly is an excellent axe - even without the midi, but I hardly ever use it. I suppose, it'd be fun in the studio to record doubling tracks with different midi voices, but I hardly ever record that way. I do a lot of "on the fly" (no pun intended) things, and I'd rather see this get used and loved than collect dust. I'm open to trades .. talk to me!
UD

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online