SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#368434 - 07/02/13 10:07 AM rejected
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas

A shopping center in Highland Park (The Beverly Hills of Dallas) was looking for bands to perform for a weekly “concert” series. Bands were asked to submit a video, then a committee would select 10 bands, put them on their website and then out of the 10 bands, the general public would vote for five band s that they would like to see perform at the concert series. We weren’t selected by the committee. I was contacted and was told that they really liked us, but over 100 bands had submitted videos for consideration… I was told to try again in the fall. I thought we might have a good chance because there aren’t many bands that do what we do (Latin jazz, Latin Dance, and American music 30’s to present) Also we’ve played at several private parties in the area of this particular shopping center. I checked the competitions videos and this I noticed.
1. All the bands were guitar centric. No keyboards at all…
2. All the other’s bands material was either “classic rock” or “acoustic rock/country.” Nothing else…
3. I hate to play the race card but I couldn’t help but notice that all the bands appeared to be all white.
4. Video/audio quality ranged from professionally produced to cell phone quality.
5. With the exception of a senior citizen classic rock band, all the acts were quite young. There was a pre- teen band, some teenage bands, and lots of 20 something’s. No middle agers like us.
6. The overall musical quality of the bands ranged from amateur to pro level.

So we have no hard feelings… We just weren’t what they we’re looking for. It is a good reminder that there are all sorts of talent out there competing for not many performing opportunities.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#368498 - 07/03/13 02:25 PM Re: rejected [Re: montunoman]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
If they had a target genre then wouldn't it have been good to indicate this in the first place - you've expended time, effort, money? on this that possibly was never going to get you anywhere. Optimistically you've now got some good promo material!

More cynically, does young equal cheaper?

#368500 - 07/03/13 03:25 PM Re: rejected [Re: MacAllcock]
montunoman Offline

Yes John, considering they only selected classic rock and acoustic rock acts it sure does seem like they had a clear idea of what they wanted but they did not indicate in their advertisement. Yes, I did put time, effort and money into the project but I really needed a video of us anyways. I do admit, that I did have the same thought about younger equals cheaper too... And like everything else in the world, the whole thing could been political... I don't know any of these "committee members" and perhaps some of the other bands are friends or family... It all good, it served as a motivator to finally get some video footage.

Thanks for listening to my rant/vent...

#368506 - 07/03/13 05:03 PM Re: rejected [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul, don't let this bother you - it's not at all unusual. Back in the early 80s I had a part-time job with a local TV station. They would send me out on shoots of various events around the county, I would return with hours upon hours of video tape, then edit it down to something useable for a 30 minute format. There was a grand opening at a big mall, one that had a massive atrium in the center and stores radiating out like the spokes on a wagon wheel. It was really net.

The hired a little known, at least around here, country band, who spent the better part of 2 hours setting up their gear in the atrium. I set the TV camera up on an upper level balcony, which gave a great view, and I was able to connect directly to their mixer board's audio output. They were absolutely incredible, but the mall management company decided they were too loud and too much like country rock. After a couple hours he cut them off and brought in a local band that really sucked. The name of the little know band from out of town - Alabama! Yeah, that's the band this idiot sent home. I wonder what the mall management guy is doing these days? rotf2

The TV station ran the footage a dozen or more times during the ensuing year, and every time they ran it people would call the station and ask for more. Amazing.

Having seen some footage of your band, and hearing your band at work, I can guarantee you that some young, wanna-be executive who loves ear-bleed volumes and head-bangin rock is making the decision of who to hire and who not to hire - some kid that knows nothing about demographics. It's not unusual.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#368509 - 07/03/13 05:36 PM Re: rejected [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Thanks Gary, that was a funny story and I know stuff like this happens all the time to almost everyone. I'm not letting it bother me... I just thought others could relate or have been in similar situations.

#368531 - 07/04/13 06:54 AM Re: rejected [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Having been in that situation I can bet its "who you know" or who's cousin's kid has a new band and they'll do it for free for the "exposure" etc. Its 99% political. And the people on the committtee ( I HATE that word!!)) usually don't know how to judge talent or what will really work in the live situation.
Keep on plugging and good luck.

#368537 - 07/04/13 07:57 AM Re: rejected [Re: montunoman]
124 Offline

Pretty well nailed it, Bill,

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online