SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#367517 - 06/13/13 07:30 PM Would anyone here like to see an XG VST.?.?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This has really been on my mind lately. Would anyone like to see Yamaha release an XG VST? The XG sound set on my PSR-S700 is really quite good. Sure those sounds aren't "top notch", but many are actually pretty darn good (that's even before you add any effects or tweak any of the envelopes or filters). Seriously fellas.., the one's we're really trying to fool with sound quality/realism is ourselves :-) Truthfully an audience doesn't know the difference between a Sweet, Cool, Live, Mega, SA, or Super Natural patch.

There IS a demand for good GM (or in Yammies Case XG) VST's out there for DAW applications. I just don't understand why Yamaha doesn't cash in on that and create an XG VST. Roland had the Hyper Canvas (which was VERY popular). I can't even count the number of requests I've seen in forums recently where people are asking if there is a 32 or 64 bit version for Windows 7.

I know quite a few of us here also have DAWS that we use (outside of our arrangers). Would you buy a full featured XG-VST MUlti-Timb Synth (with basic Patch Editing ie: ADSR, Filters, ect.)?
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#367518 - 06/13/13 07:33 PM Re: Would anyone here like to see an XG VST.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yamaha will never licence it out Squeak.

It is something that has been canvassed with Yamaha for years and the consenus is they just refuse to allow anyone to create one under licence, and they don't want to create one themselves either smile

Now that's afaik, and based on stuff I have read over the years. It is not current information so it may have changed, but this is Yamaha we are talking about here so I doubt it laugh

FWIW, I think it would be a TERRIFIC idea smile

Dennis

#367521 - 06/13/13 08:24 PM Re: Would anyone here like to see an XG VST.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I still have an old Yamaha VST(XG)..still use it for Yamaha style play..

Edited by Fran Carango (06/13/13 08:25 PM)

#367522 - 06/13/13 08:50 PM Re: Would anyone here like to see an XG VST.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
miden Offline

That would be one you got on the MS Fran, yes? AFAIK that version from Dom was a pirate copy. Along with the Roland Orchestral.

I think Squeak is talking about some one creating a new legitimate version of the XG..

Dennis

#367524 - 06/13/13 09:35 PM Re: Would anyone here like to see an XG VST.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Miden's right.., I would rather see an actual legit licensed application. I wonder if Yamaha is afraid of "competing with itself" in an area or two with an XG-VST Synth.

The demand is there for it. Roland could make a pretty good amount of money by re-releasing the Hyper Canvas that's supported in 32 and 64 bit. Plus these types of VST's are typically very low latency and CPU friendly.

I have Mixcraft 6 and the Acoustic Presets are decent, and aren't CPU heavy, but unfortunately the team at Acoustica did not create their Preset Sound List with basic synth editing. Even Acoustica could really up their sales if they added basic synth editing to their presets.

OH well.., one can wish and dream. Maybe one of these days Yamnaha will wake up and realize they're sitting on a potential big money maker here.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#367533 - 06/14/13 03:13 AM Re: Would anyone here like to see an XG VST.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Once Yamaha kill something off it is seldom that it is ever resurrected, so the XG synth is probably gone for good.

Don’t forget Yamaha now own Steinberg (The inventors of the VST and low latency ASIO drivers) therefore might I suggest you have a look at Halion Sonic as it has a high quality GM2 sound set (According to the details available and which is probably as close as you’re going to get to XG for the foreseeable future) and all the new voices that have been added (Since it replaced Hypersonic) were designed and programmed by the Motif programmers, so should be ideal for use with Yamaha products.

Something worth looking at

Bill

#367555 - 06/14/13 11:20 AM Re: Would anyone here like to see an XG VST.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
In fairness, a legacy VSTi, unable to play modern styles with Mega voices and SA voices, not to mention the plethora of new regular sounds and kits seems, to me at least, like not of great value.

Sure, you'll be able to play legacy styles, but you won't be able to play anything properly from the last, what is it, ten years or so (since Mega came out)?

#367557 - 06/14/13 11:30 AM Re: Would anyone here like to see an XG VST.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
miden Offline

I think Squeak is suggesting that a new version include that capability Diki...IE to be able to cover all modes of Yamaha programming.

#367568 - 06/14/13 03:27 PM Re: Would anyone here like to see an XG VST.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
would be great if they did. Can't see it happening though.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#367578 - 06/14/13 09:18 PM Re: Would anyone here like to see an XG VST.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yes... if it sounded worth a damn, it would scavenge sales from hardware bigtime...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online