SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#349199 - 08/16/12 03:37 PM Alternatives to the BK-5
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I've tested out a BK5 recently- how does the Prelude and GW-8 (which seems to be a Prelude without speakers) compare? I haven't put my hands on one- who has? What do you think? I know the gw8 is a "workstation" with more editing options, is there more or less (sound & style wise)? Are the speakers the same as those in the BK-5?

#349206 - 08/16/12 05:18 PM Re: Alternatives to the BK-5 [Re: sparky589]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: sparky589
I've tested out a BK5 recently- how does the Prelude and GW-8 (which seems to be a Prelude without speakers) compare? I haven't put my hands on one- who has? What do you think? I know the gw8 is a "workstation" with more editing options, is there more or less (sound & style wise)? Are the speakers the same as those in the BK-5?

Sparky the sound engine on the BK series is better (E series engine)..the GW8 and Prelude uses the Juno/sonic cell engine..

We have both the Prelude and BK5..with the band, and overall the edge goes to the BK5...The speakers are about the same ..The BK is rated at 12 watts a side..and the Prelude is 11 watts a side...

Although the GW8 is labeled a workstation ..it isn't much different ..other than 4 knobs to control envelop.......

The media player is much more advanced with the BK5...although the Prelude was way better than previous model..

I had a GW7 and didn't like it that much...very entry level....The Prelude , I used for several years...and I do like it....but the improved media player and USB improvements, along with the better sound engine...found on the BK5..is a no brainer...

BTW: the best sounds on the Prelude are with version 2..You get extra sounds , many from the SRX collection..

Edited by Fran Carango (08/16/12 05:21 PM)

#349252 - 08/17/12 04:39 PM Re: Alternatives to the BK-5 [Re: sparky589]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Thanks Fran. Just looking to see what else Roland offered. Visited another Sam Ash and a Guitar Center, and called another GC. All had Roland Workstations on display, but they only had yamaha arrangers out and none other than the entry level $250 boards. You could get lost in the synths and ws' though.

#365344 - 04/20/13 03:55 PM Re: Alternatives to the BK-5 [Re: sparky589]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
And how does the Roland G70 compare to the GW7? I believe the G70 has a touch screen. My main problem (I'm searching for an arranger), is that I haven't heard anything with "today's" sound. It seems, and I may be wrong because I can't get my hands on any TOTL arrangers, is that they have mostly more dated bread and butter sounds but not contemporary sounds. I recently sold my BK7m. The quality of styles were excellent, however, again, not much modern styles. Which arranger would provide more today's sound whether via on-board styles or easily obtainable optional style libraries? And when I say, today's sound, I literally mean today's top 40. Even though I'm currently playing pop and neo-classical, I'm planning to vernture more modern. Thanks anyone.

Edited by Hal2001 (04/20/13 03:57 PM)

#366249 - 05/13/13 09:21 AM Re: Alternatives to the BK-5 [Re: sparky589]
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
I had a BK-5 for awhile and found it somewhat cumberson to get around to various patchs and rhythm patterns because of the way the menu screens were laid out. I think it had more to do with my lack of experience using the BK-5 rather than any short comings of the instrument itself. I didn't keep the keyboard.

I bought a Roland Prelude and am much happier with the instrument sound wise and with the menu setup. Internal speakers is a feature I really like.

It's all rather subjective.

However, I am getting the new Roland BK-9 in a few weeks. So much for my criticism of the BK-5 huh?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online