SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#365846 - 05/01/13 09:59 AM MicroArranger joystick: 0-2
coffeekev Offline

Bought a microArranger in Feb 2012. By April the joystick stopped functioning properly. Took it to Sweetwater and after about 5 weeks they gave me a new unit.

The new one was fine for exactly 1 year but now the joystick has stopped functioning again. So I feel that, though i really, really like the microArranger, the joystick can not be trusted. Sweetwater said I'm covered for 2 years so i can take it in again before next February. But how long will the next one last?

It's not like I'm sitting on the thing or hitting it with a large salami. Korg must have wired these microArranger joysticks up with the most frail, fragile wire available in the universe.

Even when it's fixed, I think I'll feel a little afraid to use the joystick much because I won't trust it. Is anyone else having this problem? 2 microArrangers have shown me that the MA joystick is pretty much 100% unreliable.

Edited by coffeekev (05/01/13 09:59 AM)

#365934 - 05/02/13 11:45 PM Re: MicroArranger joystick: 0-2 [Re: coffeekev]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had one go out on PA3X. You have to be very careful if you transport them in a soft case, because it sort of sticks up where it could be damaged if banged against something.
I don't think I did that though. I think it just broke.
Some people are replacing them with one from a Korg synth. Don't remember the details, but there is a thread about it on korgforums.com
DonM

#366050 - 05/06/13 09:16 AM Re: MicroArranger joystick: 0-2 [Re: coffeekev]
coffeekev Offline

The number of times that I had moved the MA since taking it out of the box: 0.

It sat stable on the stand the whole year. All's good, though, because Sweetwater has it now and I know they'll take care of it. I like living in the same town as Sweetwater!

They're having a weekend event in June called "Gear Fest" and said Korg people will be there. I may bug them about this issue.

#366146 - 05/10/13 09:55 AM Re: MicroArranger joystick: 0-2 [Re: coffeekev]
coffeekev Offline

All ends well! Sweetwater called yesterday and said my microArranger was ready. Picked it up and the joystick is behaving properly again.

I only wonder for how long. The first time it went bonkers after 2 months. Then it went a year. We'll see how long this fix lasts.

Ultimately, I want to step up to a PA600. Off to buy a lottery ticket!

#370267 - 08/11/13 07:59 AM Re: MicroArranger joystick: 0-2 [Re: coffeekev]
jerry8159 Offline

My joystick gave out on my PA600 after 6 months and it only sat on the stand at home and has been very well taken care of. It was repaired and 2 days later it gave out again. I called and am getting a brand new board to replace my old one. But the repair guy told me that the wires had broken at the solder points as they were too tight. Using the joystick put pressure on the solder joints and there you go. It could be that they are using too little or too thin (or both) of wire causing the solder joints to give way. From the threads I have read about Korg joysticks going south, you would think Korg would make a simple adjustment in the wiring avoiding the cost and hassle of a fix.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online