SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#365112 - 04/17/13 04:06 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Tony,

We have always been very proud of him, he has done some amazing things and has always been very creative. I've tried to play some of the games he created, but thus far, I've never been able to get beyond the second or third level. Ironically, he taught ME how to use a computer back with the Commodore 64 first became available. It was a very difficult transition from the NASA stuff to the Commodore 64, which could handle a multitude of tasks, had a variety of programs, all of which were stored on 5-1/4-inch floppy disks. What was really incredible was the computer only had a 64-Kilobyte memory, and it was pretty fast at processing.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#365114 - 04/17/13 04:22 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Prob Everything PC/MAC today will be obsolete in 5-10 years....
just sayin'

#365118 - 04/17/13 06:31 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hell, in 5 to 10 years I'll be obsolete. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#365124 - 04/17/13 09:38 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: travlin'easy]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Thanks Tony,

We have always been very proud of him, he has done some amazing things and has always been very creative. I've tried to play some of the games he created, but thus far, I've never been able to get beyond the second or third level. Ironically, he taught ME how to use a computer back with the Commodore 64 first became available. It was a very difficult transition from the NASA stuff to the Commodore 64, which could handle a multitude of tasks, had a variety of programs, all of which were stored on 5-1/4-inch floppy disks. What was really incredible was the computer only had a 64-Kilobyte memory, and it was pretty fast at processing.

Cheers,

Gary cool

John sounds like my sorta guy. I started my career programming creating commercial C64 games. I have programmed games on almost every game console since then. His advice will certainly be invaluable in making your choice.

I remember writing games with 1000+ screens that were able to fit into just 64KB of memory. It took some very careful data encoding to be able to do that back then.
I even wrote Commodore 64 MIDI software back then to edit patches for the DX7.

#365130 - 04/17/13 11:51 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: Dnj
just sayin'

Hate to disillusion you DNJ but everything becomes obsolete as soon as it released to the masses.(5 – 10 years and not even a museum would be interested) crazy

Bill

#365131 - 04/18/13 01:40 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
Originally Posted By: Dnj
just sayin'

Hate to disillusion you DNJ but everything becomes obsolete as soon as it released to the masses.(5 – 10 years and not even a museum would be interested) crazy

Bill

Same with keyboards sadly

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online