SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#365031 - 04/16/13 10:03 AM ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or?
Dnj Offline

Might be in the market for a new computer been using
WIN XP professional now for years I'm just so used to it... cool2 but WIN 8 is on most units in stores ?. what are your thoughts on Win 8 or another suggestions ....or? confused1

#365034 - 04/16/13 10:14 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Donny ... no first hand experience - I am using Win 7 - but a good friend of mine just went to Win 8 and says a lot of his 'older' software does not run on Win 8 ... You mat want to ask some techs in a store about it ...

#365039 - 04/16/13 10:44 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: tony mads usa]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Windows 8

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#365040 - 04/16/13 10:55 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
Tonewheeldude Offline

you can easily change Windows 7 to work in the classic way you are used to. If you do need to run legacy software Windows 7 Professional has a usefull feature that enables you to run a virtual version of XP which is available free from Microsoft, however that has been removed with Windows 8. The start menu has also been removed (foolishly in my view), but there are third party applications to give it back!

#365041 - 04/16/13 10:56 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi DNJ

Think of Windows 8 as a Windows Phone that includes an App to run it in Desktop Mode.

The main change when you go into the desktop is the removal of the start button, which along with other changes makes moving from an earlier OS to Windows 8 more difficult than it needs to be.

If you can’t get on with Windows 8, there is a free program called Classic Shell which adds the Start Button so you can use it more like an older OS, (You can choose XP, Vista or Windows 7 menus) although I would try and get used to the way Windows 8 works as it seems this is the way all future Windows OS will go.

Some users have had problems running some of their older software on Windows 8 but most will work in compatibility mode, (It’s also been improved with updates since launch) also there are ways to run XP in a virtual environment just like the Virtual XP that can be downloaded for Windows 7.

You can do a Windows 8 test on your current software and hardware by using the Windows upgrade assistant which should show up if there will be any problems, and also (If available) how to fix the problems.

Hope this helps

Bill

#365042 - 04/16/13 11:13 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Also will older software programs that's another worry of mine using the new windows eight

#365046 - 04/16/13 11:20 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
billyhank Offline

DNJ,

You will never find a PC that runs better or is more reliable than your old XP machine.

Windows is getting further and further away from the type keyboards we use and especially MIDI generated music.

Be sure to check that all of the software you depend on now will run on Win 8 or you will regret it.

Bill G

Edited by billyhank (04/16/13 11:21 AM)

#365047 - 04/16/13 11:21 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
If you go to the Windows 8 Website they have a tool that can look at all your current programs to see what, if any, issues they will have running under W8.

#365049 - 04/16/13 11:33 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Windows XP was good in its day but is not a patch on Windows 7, (Avoid Windows Vista at all costs as it is a complete and total disaster) also Support for XP ceases next year, so there will be no more updates and security patches for it.

If I were buying a new computer I would go for Windows 8 Professional as it can only get better. (I ran the Beta software versions of Windows 8 and initially was not impressed with it in comparison with Windows 7, however once I got used to the way it does things (Its highly customisable) I did start to like)

If you are running Windows 7 then I can’t see any reason to upgrade unless you have a touch screen, but if you’re buying a new one then Windows 8 is the way to go. (See my previous post for more details)

Hope this helps

Bill

Addition:

Tests have proven that Windows 7 is way ahead of XP when it comes to use with DAWs, (Pretty much every DAW manufacture ported there systems over to Windows 7 as soon as they could) and all of the tests so far seem to indicate that Windows 8 is even better. (Although it has not been out long enough for Pro Studios to commit just yet)

Edited by abacus (04/16/13 11:39 AM)
Edit Reason: Added extra info

#365050 - 04/16/13 11:38 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: miden]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
If you go to the Windows 8 Website they have a tool that can look at all your current programs to see what, if any, issues they will have running under W8.

is there a link to this TOOL?...

if not I guess its WIN 8 for the smart future choice .....

otherwise I might have to switch all to a MAC which Im reluctant to do? confused1

Edited by Dnj (04/16/13 11:39 AM)

#365052 - 04/16/13 11:41 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

otherwise I might have to switch all to a MAC which Im reluctant to do? confused1

Its in my 1st post (Windows Upgrade Assistant)

Bill

#365053 - 04/16/13 11:44 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Donny ... Bill (abacus) has a link in his post (up a few from here) to Windows upgrade assistant ... here is a link to what the 'assistant will do for you ...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8#section_2

#365055 - 04/16/13 12:25 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Donny ... Bill (abacus) has a link in his post (up a few from here) to Windows upgrade assistant ... here is a link to what the 'assistant will do for you ...

wow now I'm more confused then before!!confused2 confused1 confused2

#365056 - 04/16/13 12:41 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

wow now I'm more confused then before!!confused2 confused1 confused2

TALK TO A TECHIE IN THE STORE!!! ... if in a store like Best Buy, talk to one of the Geek Squad guys ... tell them what you've got, what software you run, revisions if possible, etc. and tell them what you NEED the PC to do ... they are usually a lot of help ...

#365058 - 04/16/13 01:19 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
miden Offline

go to near the top of that page in the link - use the blue highlighted download the tool and run.

Jeez man for someone so savvy with using the internet and links etc etc, you sure are having problems wink

Pretty simple, no geeks needed!!

#365061 - 04/16/13 01:44 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny,

You'll quickly discover, as I and many others did, that there will be a large number of older programs that will NOT be compatible with Windows 8. Same holds true for Windows 7, which I now use. Most of the recording software will not run, even in the legacy mode. Additionally, the older tax programs were not compatible, therefore, I had to do some fancy conversions at tax time - not a good thing.

Stick with the XP - it works just fine and far fewer glitches,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#365064 - 04/16/13 01:57 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
miden Offline

Actually Gary I totally disagree, and I can start citing many reasons, but time an place, etc etc...Started with Windows 7, and W8 is even better...albeit radically different on the surface only, but underneath it has enhanced and improved upon W7 in many many ways.

However it is understandable that some older folks do find it hard to break away from what they know wink

#365068 - 04/16/13 02:31 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bottom line is the software. A computer and its OS is simply a TOOL. What you do with it is what matters!

Make a list of all the music software you regularly use. Research whether newer version for newer OS's are available, and research whether users are having problems with the new versions. Then you can calculate what is the most modern OS that will run everything you use.

Now, if there is only one or two apps that are forcing you to use a much older OS, research whether there is a functional replacement that will run on the newer OS's. Try to find users that switched from what you use now to this new app. See what they think.

But don't concentrate on the OS... concentrate on what you want to DO with it!

#365070 - 04/16/13 04:40 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Dennis,

You can disagree all you wish. In my case I'm talking about practical experience. Just going from XP to 7, which I did not want to do, cost me a lot of time and money. I had to purchase a new version of Quicken, Quick Books, spent endless hours on the phone with Intuit's customer service department solving Turbo-Tax and Quicken problems, then I still could not use my time tested music programs. Yeah, right. They were not compatible with Windows-7 and would not load in the new PC. The only reason I purchased a NEW PC was because the previous tax and bookkeeping programs were no longer supported by Windows.

My PC is not just for music - I run two businesses and the PC is used for a multitude of tasks, bookkeeping, billing, tax returns, and a host of other small business tasks. About twice a day, though, I log onto the Synthzone, PSR Tutorial and Sailnet sites. I usually find something interesting to read. Keep in mind that I've been working with computers since 1960, long before some members of this forum were born. I'm NOT computer illiterate, I am usually able to solve my problems without the aid of customer service, and my son is a computer programmer for one of the largest software companies in the nation. So, as Diki stated above, "Don't concentrate on the OS - Concentrate on what you want to DO with it."

Beside the business aspect of the PC, I use the PC for learning new songs, downloading the lyrics, downloading tab sheets, and email. Currently, about 5 percent of my email comes from clients, the rest consisting mainly of joke forwards. I, personally, consider email one of the slowest, most expensive, least effective forms of communications on the planet. In the time it took to type this response, and I'm a relatively fast typist, I could have mixed a couple Margarettas.

There's an old saying that I adhere to more often than not: "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it." Makes perfectly good sense to me.

Gary cool

#365071 - 04/16/13 05:00 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I just ran the compatible test on my XP pro desktop, for upgrade to Win8...The results..98 programs compatible..34 are not, and naturally all installed programs have to be re-installed..

BTW: I am one of the few that likes Vista..for me it was a great improvement over XP..

#365072 - 04/16/13 05:08 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Fran,

What in the Hell do you do with 132 computer programs?

Gary

#365073 - 04/16/13 05:43 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: travlin'easy]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Dennis,

You can disagree all you wish. In my case I'm talking about practical experience. Just going from XP to 7, which I did not want to do, cost me a lot of time and money. I had to purchase a new version of Quicken, Quick Books, spent endless hours on the phone with Intuit's customer service department solving Turbo-Tax and Quicken problems, then I still could not use my time tested music programs. Yeah, right. They were not compatible with Windows-7 and would not load in the new PC. The only reason I purchased a NEW PC was because the previous tax and bookkeeping programs were no longer supported by Windows.

My PC is not just for music - I run two businesses and the PC is used for a multitude of tasks, bookkeeping, billing, tax returns, and a host of other small business tasks. About twice a day, though, I log onto the Synthzone, PSR Tutorial and Sailnet sites. I usually find something interesting to read. Keep in mind that I've been working with computers since 1960, long before some members of this forum were born. I'm NOT computer illiterate, I am usually able to solve my problems without the aid of customer service, and my son is a computer programmer for one of the largest software companies in the nation. So, as Diki stated above, "Don't concentrate on the OS - Concentrate on what you want to DO with it."

Beside the business aspect of the PC, I use the PC for learning new songs, downloading the lyrics, downloading tab sheets, and email. Currently, about 5 percent of my email comes from clients, the rest consisting mainly of joke forwards. I, personally, consider email one of the slowest, most expensive, least effective forms of communications on the planet. In the time it took to type this response, and I'm a relatively fast typist, I could have mixed a couple Margarettas.

There's an old saying that I adhere to more often than not: "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it." Makes perfectly good sense to me.

Gary cool

Whatever sleep

Just about everyones son or cousin or third cousins uncles auntie is some sort of expert on something...does not always make them correct wink

#365074 - 04/16/13 05:44 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

FWIW - which is really nothing,- my upgrade from XP to 7 was painless ...

#365075 - 04/16/13 05:51 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Gary ... Just wondering ... what computer were you working with in 1960? I started working with them in '63 ...

#365076 - 04/16/13 06:34 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I appreciate all the help everyone....I will take my time on this and really research what's best for my needs down the road with Win 8...& Mac included.

#365084 - 04/16/13 09:18 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...

Switch to Mac and life will be good .however, you still need a Windows machine for some of the stuff that Mac can't do(non music, downloading certain vid files ,editing and simultaneous play etc)

#365089 - 04/17/13 02:58 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Gary

If you run Virtual XP (Free download from Microsoft) on your Windows 7 computer (Assuming your using Win 7 Pro) you will not find any program that ran on your old XP computer that will not run on your new computer. (Don’t confuse Virtual XP with XP Compatibility mode as they are totally different)

Support for XP ceases next year (It came out about 12 years ago) so if you want to stay secure you will need to upgrade.

Jamman

Why buy a Mac to run Windows (Unless you have previously owned a Mac or buy into the Apple experience) when you can buy a Windows machine cheaper that will run all the software you want.

Bill

#365094 - 04/17/13 06:34 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony,

I was working at NASA Greenbelt, MD at the time and the computer took up an entire room about 100 X 200 feet. It was made by IBM, and ran on huge vacuum tubes that were water cooled. I don't remember the model number, but IBM 7090 comes to mind.

Gary cool

#365096 - 04/17/13 06:50 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

"Just about everyones son or cousin or third cousins uncles auntie is some sort of expert on something...does not always make them correct."

Lets see now, Dennis. I should rely on what someone that I never met, and really know nothing about to solve my PC problems? NAH!

I'll stick with my son, John who does this stuff for a living, every day of the week, and during his spare time created some of the most incredible computer games on the Internet.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (04/17/13 06:54 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#365109 - 04/17/13 03:07 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Gary, very very nice... You and Carol must be very proud...

#365112 - 04/17/13 04:06 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Tony,

We have always been very proud of him, he has done some amazing things and has always been very creative. I've tried to play some of the games he created, but thus far, I've never been able to get beyond the second or third level. Ironically, he taught ME how to use a computer back with the Commodore 64 first became available. It was a very difficult transition from the NASA stuff to the Commodore 64, which could handle a multitude of tasks, had a variety of programs, all of which were stored on 5-1/4-inch floppy disks. What was really incredible was the computer only had a 64-Kilobyte memory, and it was pretty fast at processing.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#365114 - 04/17/13 04:22 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Prob Everything PC/MAC today will be obsolete in 5-10 years....
just sayin'

#365118 - 04/17/13 06:31 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Hell, in 5 to 10 years I'll be obsolete. wink

Gary cool

#365124 - 04/17/13 09:38 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: travlin'easy]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Thanks Tony,

We have always been very proud of him, he has done some amazing things and has always been very creative. I've tried to play some of the games he created, but thus far, I've never been able to get beyond the second or third level. Ironically, he taught ME how to use a computer back with the Commodore 64 first became available. It was a very difficult transition from the NASA stuff to the Commodore 64, which could handle a multitude of tasks, had a variety of programs, all of which were stored on 5-1/4-inch floppy disks. What was really incredible was the computer only had a 64-Kilobyte memory, and it was pretty fast at processing.

Cheers,

Gary cool

John sounds like my sorta guy. I started my career programming creating commercial C64 games. I have programmed games on almost every game console since then. His advice will certainly be invaluable in making your choice.

I remember writing games with 1000+ screens that were able to fit into just 64KB of memory. It took some very careful data encoding to be able to do that back then.
I even wrote Commodore 64 MIDI software back then to edit patches for the DX7.

#365130 - 04/17/13 11:51 PM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

just sayin'

Hate to disillusion you DNJ but everything becomes obsolete as soon as it released to the masses.(5 – 10 years and not even a museum would be interested) crazy

Bill

#365131 - 04/18/13 01:40 AM Re: ot/market for a new computer XP now WIN8 ?. or? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
just sayin'

Hate to disillusion you DNJ but everything becomes obsolete as soon as it released to the masses.(5 – 10 years and not even a museum would be interested) crazy

Bill

Same with keyboards sadly

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online