SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#362954 - 03/12/13 08:41 AM Re: mics [Re: baz66]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have used Sennheiser 855s for years. Love it. May try a 900 series because mine are getting pretty old.
I have Shure SM58, a couple of Behringers (they are pretty good!), a couple of EVs, an AKG D5, Samson Q7, CAD condenser, a beautiful WHITE Peavey, and four or five more.
I keep several Samson R11 mics for use as guest mics. They are like 3 for $50, but sound very good. They have a LOT of proximity effect, so need to roll of bass.
I have a Astatic CMD condenser that sounds fabulous, but the output is too hot for the PA3X. Can't get the signal low enough without using an external device to attenuate it.
BTW, if anyone is interested in OWNING one or more of these, they can be yours for half whatever they sell for on line!
DonM

#362984 - 03/12/13 03:53 PM Re: mics [Re: DonM]
KORG80 Offline

Asked if you sang with your keyboard on another forum (pm actually).

I seriously doubt that you just collect microphones as a hobby. LOL

God Bless,
Don

#362985 - 03/12/13 04:17 PM Re: mics [Re: KORG80]
KORG80 Offline

Condenser microphone really does bring out some beautiful tone from your voice.
I don't get to use mine much because I work with a harmony machine. The condenser pics up sound from my acoustic guitar and harmonizes my guitar strings along with my voice. (Not a good thing) If I'm rehearsing with my keyboard and using the internal speakers the same problem occurs as the mike picks up the sound from the speakers. When recording it picks up the sound of someone turning on the tap. Only place I can use it is at my getaway place that has electric heat. (no furnace sound to pick up).
Frustrating! I use a non-condenser headset mike for most of my work. much easier than a boom when performing on keyboard.

God Bless,
Don

#363129 - 03/14/13 05:31 AM Re: mics [Re: KORG80]
baz66 Offline

Loc: Australia E coast
Don .
That's interesting. My speakers will be about 40 inch's from the mic. The room is quite small about 5x6meters with lot's of cabinets and 2 computers plus the two KB's that I have.
A friend has just lent me a Kamnu? international km714 to play around with. This is a old mic (25years) he said. I take it that means dynamic so I don't use phantom power on the korg?
It sounds great to me but my voice is shot. I played in a band mid 70s. Much practice will be needed.
baz

#363171 - 03/14/13 08:19 PM Re: mics [Re: baz66]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I've got a Sennheiser 845s available-a real one, not chinese fake. PM me if interested.

#363184 - 03/14/13 11:09 PM Re: mics [Re: baz66]
DonM Offline

I was just reading this and pulled out an EV PL84 Condenser mic. It sounds great on the PA3X. It is very directional and doesn't pick up any extra sounds at all. I think it will be my "new" mic for now.
It makes me sound like Elvis. Of course he's been dead a long time.
smile
DonM

#363237 - 03/15/13 07:51 PM Re: mics [Re: DonM]
baz66 Offline

Loc: Australia E coast
eeew That's a worry.
baz

#363318 - 03/16/13 10:04 PM Re: mics [Re: DonM]
KORG80 Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I was just reading this and pulled out an EV PL84 Condenser mic. It sounds great on the PA3X. It is very directional and doesn't pick up any extra sounds at all. I think it will be my "new" mic for now.
It makes me sound like Elvis. Of course he's been dead a long time.
smile
DonM

Don,
Is the dynamic microphone considered to be unidirectional? I believe most of the mikes I have worked with you had to stay pretty close. The only condenser mike I've worked with is the
AKG C535 EB. I sing and play guitar on the church praise team and these are the the mikes we use/ Impressed by its rich tones I borrow it from time to time for recording or live performance.

Unlike your Electro voice this mike picks up in a wide range. Wish I would have known about these when I had my school choirs.

My question is do condenser mikes generally pick up a wide cone and dynamic mikes a narrow cone. I'm somewhat confused.

God Bless,
Don

#364275 - 04/03/13 08:50 AM Re: mics [Re: baz66]
DonM Offline

Not necessarily. There are both oni-directional and uni-directional mics of every type, including dynamic and condenser.
There are differences also in the pickup patterns of Cardiod, Hypercardiod and Supercardiod.
This information will be helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone
DonM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online