SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#363183 - 03/14/13 10:37 PM Tyros 5 Feature Wish List
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I present to you my wish list for the next TOTL Yamaha Arranger:

- New name: I'm bored of the name "Tyros" - it's at least 11 years old! A new name would signify a new look and direction.

- Smaller: For travelling musicians the Tyros is just too big. Korg managed to make the Pa3x look classy yet even when boxed it is still undersize (62 inches) and underweight (50lbs) and can be taken on any plane domestically or internationally for free. (Domestic airlines in the USA can charge up to $600 for a round trip!!)

- Balanced outputs: Let's face it: Most of us are not using DI boxes. This feature would just give the Yamaha a cleaner and better sound.

- New Direction in sound for bass and drums: Although Yamaha has excelled in so many ways, I personally feel that it has lacked a certain punch and clarity from its "kick" "snare" and "basses". There is something muddy about the Yamaha when played through a sound system with subs (and I've played it through MANY) - it lacks a certain punch and openess.

- More spots for custom drums: The Tyros currently only allows 20 custom drum kits. I for one have many more than this. I have about 15 Turkish and oriental kits, 10 Western kits, and many tweaked kits. Why limit us?

- Give all the features of the s950: In the past the MOTL arrangers have had drum kits and voices that were not added to the TOTL arranger. Can't figure out why...

- Remixing of preset styles: On the old PSR-8000 there was an option to remix the preset styles, change the OTS, and redesign the groove - without saving them as new custom styles. The remixed versions were saved in a folder called "Groove". This allows us to tweak without using up valuable Flash ROM.

- iPad integration for editing sounds: Instead of plugging into a PC for detailed editing, it would be great if we could plug into an iPad instead. I'm sure there are other iPad uses that can be though up.

- This is my big one: On the new S950, Yamaha added the option of Audio Multipads. I would like to see the option for time-stretching and pitch-shifting on Audio Multipads, so that we can record an actual audio instrument doing a solo, save it as a Multipad, and then trigger it at other keys and speeds (as can be done with audio mp3s on the S950). I currently use audio multipads for solos with my Tyros4 (long story how it's done), but whenever I have another singer or want to change the speed, the multipads become useless...

- Based on the S950, it seems obvious that with the next TOTL arranger Yamaha will be going the Audio Drums route. I'm very much looking forward to this. However it takes about 2 seconds to load an Audio style. Hopefully this time can be shortened or eliminated.

- Legacy: Yamaha has always been good about this, but it needs to be said considering that it looks like Yamaha is about to change direction: The next TOTL needs to be downward compatible with the Tyros4. Not having compatibility would be a big problem for me.

- 2GB Flash RAM: I hope I'm not asking too much by asking for the option to expand to 2GB of flash RAM (as on the Motif). I'm reaching my limit with all my custom sounds, drums, and multipad audio riffs.

- Allow us to easily import samples from common formats like Giga, Kontakt, AKAI, etc. Or at least give us tools to create UVNs!

- More Flash ROM memory - 6MB just ain't enough...

- EQ controls on the sounds. Currently there are just bass and treble controls, and they don't work properly.

- Quality mastering on the outputs!

So that's my list so far. Hopefully the right people will see this.

Chony

Edited by chony (03/14/13 10:48 PM)

#363194 - 03/15/13 02:15 AM Re: Tyros 5 Feature Wish List [Re: chony]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I was at an exhibition last weekend and somebody told me there is no planned Tyros 5 and Yamaha are concentraing on the PSR range from now on...does anyone know if thats true? It would be a terrible shame if it were so!

#363201 - 03/15/13 04:01 AM Re: Tyros 5 Feature Wish List [Re: chony]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Welcome to my world!

TBH, in a way, it's a good thing. The best stuff from the TOTL trickles down to the MOTL, and you end up with something pretty amazing, at at least 1/3 the price!

And much of the stuff 99% don't use gets dropped... I sometimes wonder what percentage of T4 users use the sampler at all?

#363207 - 03/15/13 07:27 AM Re: Tyros 5 Feature Wish List [Re: chony]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
" Give all the features of the s950: In the past the MOTL arrangers have had drum kits and voices that were not added to the TOTL arranger. Can't figure out why..."

So you'll have to buy the next TOTL to get 'em!
DonM

#363230 - 03/15/13 03:02 PM Re: Tyros 5 Feature Wish List [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Everyone wants something different...

I want a bigger less plastic version with 76 keys, 18 inch touchscreen, vst support, attacable 2nd keyboard (abacus pro style), real sliders, knobs to control the sound, vextor stick, full audio styles. Sound edditing at the same level as Korg.

But, then i realise this will not happen in the first ten years to come.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#363243 - 03/15/13 08:43 PM Re: Tyros 5 Feature Wish List [Re: chony]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
On any future Yamaha, I'd like to see more effort placed toward the instrument mix of the preset styles. I've owned a bunch of Yamahas and have wondered who does the mixing. If you look at the panning, it's a mixed bag. Of course, bass and drums are usually in the center. Beyond that, it's all over the place on some styles. How about getting some real mixing/mastering pros to look at that issue before any releases? Another issue: on some instruments within a style, you get the balance about right, then on the intro or ending that same instrument (or a different one on the same track) may come blasting out at a much higher volume level. Need some consistency here.

#363260 - 03/16/13 12:52 AM Re: Tyros 5 Feature Wish List [Re: J. Larry]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Registraion Memory (Presets) directly below the screen.

#363262 - 03/16/13 01:58 AM Re: Tyros 5 Feature Wish List [Re: chony]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Uncompressed sound
24 bit sound board
Touch Screen
Multi Format Sound Support
Ability to natively play Roland Styles
Real Ale Dispenser

Bill

#363273 - 03/16/13 06:31 AM Re: Tyros 5 Feature Wish List [Re: chony]
billyhank Offline

Same sample waveform as the Motif so all those great sounds would be available to the TOTL arranger out of the box.

Bill G

#363282 - 03/16/13 08:59 AM Re: Tyros 5 Feature Wish List [Re: billyhank]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Total on board editing. PC/laptop and ipad may be the rage, but I would rather not need a piece of peripheral equipment to program/edit.

Chord recognition from right hand like Korg.

For Bill and I- Add Wersi Pegasus sound card (orchestral strings are awesome).

But sorry Bill- German Lager dispenser

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online