SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#362418 - 03/02/13 11:29 AM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: KORG80]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd still be interested in having Yamaha owners try to figure out WHY they think the S950 is a sonic step up from the S910.

Has anyone compared the stock Mastering presets? Has something got altered there? Has anyone picked apart a style that is on both, and tried to find out whether Part balances, or EQ per Part have been altered. 90% or more of the sounds in a 950 are exactly the same as in the 910... why the apparent improvement..?

Of course, you need to be monitoring through regular speakers. The change to the on-board's will no doubt make a difference, but it isn't a difference your audience is going to hear (unless that's all you use!). But, as little difference as Yamaha make to the soundset in each incremental model change, it would be interesting to find out WHY owners say it sounds better.

Perhaps there's something that 910 owners could do to THEIR mastering presets or style EQ's to get this improvement on their older gear? I personally know, from having dissected some BK-7m styles, that some part EQ's (and per drum EQ's) from the newer styles have translated well to my older G70...

It might be of benefit to older Yamaha owners if you could get together with someone with a 950 and try to pick apart the reason they say it sounds better...

Or is it just the tendency to self-justify an expensive purchase?

#362425 - 03/02/13 01:25 PM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

Most S950 owners just know one thing ....The S950 sounds sonically better..... and personally that's all that matters to me. Why & How vs others? I don't have time or care to know or start dissecting anything,...my ears tell me all I need to know.
If not it would be gone fast. I buy it, play it, I like the sound, nuff said. I want to play music not be a scientist.
Now if you'll excuse me I have a nice dinner nightclub gig tonight gonna use TWO complete HK Audio Nano 300 PA systems tonight should be a fun gig with the S950.

cheers

#362433 - 03/02/13 03:11 PM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: KORG80]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So, your point is, 'I don't care'... thanks for playing. Next contestant.

What you might have missed (or apparently, have no care for) is that, it MIGHT be possible for S910 owners to get a large degree of this improvement. Not that I suppose this matters to you. But it MIGHT to an S910 owner.

You are excused...

#362438 - 03/02/13 03:46 PM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: KORG80]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
This applies to most sound and video equipment, (Something new sounds better) however when they are blind tested in most cases no differences are heard, (Unless it is something totally new) and so it just comes down to the Placebo effect.

Bill

#362453 - 03/02/13 08:37 PM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: KORG80]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The speakers are much better, and that can't be upgraded.

#362456 - 03/02/13 09:09 PM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: Dnj]
hakurup Offline

Fully agree to member Jamman's post. Spot on when he says that PSR 750 will fulfill the bare needs till enough coins are in the pocket for a Tyros. BTW, looking at the trend of Yamaha with the PSR 750 / 950 combination; and taking a cue from the Roland Jupiter 80/50; can we now get to see a "Mini-Tyros" - something like the Jupiter 50 is to the Jupiter 80?

#362458 - 03/02/13 10:32 PM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: hakurup]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: hakurup
Fully agree to member Jamman's post. Spot on when he says that PSR 750 will fulfill the bare needs till enough coins are in the pocket for a Tyros. BTW, looking at the trend of Yamaha with the PSR 750 / 950 combination; and taking a cue from the Roland Jupiter 80/50; can we now get to see a "Mini-Tyros" - something like the Jupiter 50 is to the Jupiter 80?

950 already is a mini tyros with not so great hardware .

Most of the Korg arranger players are one or more of the following.

Must choose a Kb that does all for budget reasons( a kb with good sequencer ,good sound editing,good sound competability ( Pa50 can load Triton programs-of course minus EFX),a kb that is good enough for live band play, good hardware

Their gigs are mainly SMF playback and occasional arranger work/ they use arranger mainly as a drum machine with live left hand bass and right had chording

They play east euro or mid east music

Until Pa3x us/uk/Asia maket is ruled by psr/tyros.(more 4/4 styles than 9/8s- see below).rememer 2 fills with problematic fills in some styles?

EU/ Balkan and mid east (they even have their Country specific models as you know since distributors in those countries can prebuy or order in significant numbers (kb and expensive accessories such as Roms) are dominated by korg and Roland (was).they don't even know TOTL/MOTL Yamaha arrangers .yamaha did unsuccessful attempts to break in to the maket with A series yet sound wise and support wise couldn't match Korg.

Like I previously said the game changed in the west after affortable Psr 2000 and upward. It's great that Korg is doing with 600. Western 3rd party support will grow eventually due to fact that many home players can afford the very capable KB with pro features and on board deep sound editing / style creation to seperate individual drum sound mix (level and efx send)even in arranger mode( people with more time to make styles/conversions , etc the same mentality happened to Psr since early 2000 in Us/uk).

I love both KBs.each of them have unique strengths and weaknesses.bur for US/UK mainly 4/4 singer songwriter gigger gtr player musicians - for now Yamaha is the way for the reasons (especially your set is mainly arranger mode ).

Typing from my phone. Sorry for my spelling , gentlemen.

Edited by jamman (03/02/13 10:52 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online