SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#362256 - 02/26/13 09:25 PM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Ditto for me and the smaller combo sound. Playing dinner sets, with the nearest tables within arm's reach, don't lend themselves to loud big band styles, or any other loud, punchy styles. Even when I use those styles, I really cut back on the horn parts. Those trumpets can be murder at times. And, why the extra loud parts on intros and endings (Yamaha) on some of the styles? Just when I think I've got things balanced, here comes an unsuspecting part jumping out of the mix! Sort of like the TV audio during commercials.

#362261 - 02/27/13 12:58 AM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Less is more

Over in Europe WAV backing tracks are quite common (That have been played and recorded by the player, NOT some commercial rubbish) as styles are just too repetitive.

Styles are used, but with just a few instruments such as Drums, Bass and perhaps a Guitar vamp, (All singing and dancing styles are left to home players) as the punters expect to hear the player (If in Concert) or be driven along by the player (If dancing) not by lousy repetitive automatics. (This in reality is what arranger styles are)

Bill

#362262 - 02/27/13 01:01 AM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: J. Larry]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi,

This may be slightly off topic but basically I like to strip styles when they are too busy of the obvious sounds and in particular I like to cut down on the drums which as you all know Korg does do a lot better than Yamaha. Talking of which and no doubt Gary, Don,Donny etc. could confirm this or help me out here: If you want to change instruments in the styles ,which I often do, I find that the PSR750 does not allow for instance to replace the five acc. sections ALL by piano. You can replace a piano acc. track by another piano but if the track has brass or whatever you cannot replace it by piano. And the section STYLE Voices is a laugh. It does not even include piano. I mention piano as an example mind you. ( though I have often found that with Roland and Korg styles, if you replace all acc.tracks with dry acoustic piano, you often get very laudable results !)

regards
John

#362266 - 02/27/13 02:08 AM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: john smies]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
John

Sure you could change to piano on any of them and often it will work, The reason that some don't sound right is if you have a horn section, guitar or some other instrument that is using a typical emulation that those instruments do it won't sound right on piano. Say you've got a guitar that bends a note or a horn section that does a fall, this is not characteristic of piano and will not sound right. So, if you don't like it, record a part that you would like the piano to do.

I would really think this would be so on all brands.

#362267 - 02/27/13 02:15 AM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Scott Langholff]
john smies Offline

Scott

Not so though. On any Korg you can tweak ANY sound even beyond recognition and use either that sound or the original in ANY position in the acc. tracks, and in there you can also adjust ANY track as regards pitch ( thus adjusting the octave range of the instrument used in the acc. section).
On the PSR750 you cannot do any of those. I guess you could reconstruct a style but have been unable to find how to change instruments in an existing style and save this as a user style.
Anyone ?

regards,
John

#362271 - 02/27/13 06:29 AM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John, without having the keyboard directly in front of me, I'll have to provide the best information I can from off the top of my head.

Press the Mixing Console button twice, this will open the page that allows you to select the the various components of the style itself. To change that instrument, press the button adjacent to the "Voice" line, then using the 1 through 8 buttons at the bottom of the display, select the individual instrument. At this point you can tab to effects, and make an changes you wish. You can then select the Digital Recording/Style Creator, make additional changes, press execute, press save, the provide the style with a User/Third-party name and save it to the user area, either on the USB drive, or internal memory. Keep in mind, though, that the internal memory area is quite limited in size.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#362272 - 02/27/13 06:37 AM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
"The audience rarely knows what is playing what, but they can smell out when more is being played than one man can possibly do!"

Diki, do you really believe they actually care? C'mon, they came there to be entertained, and I seriously doubt that they give a Tinker's Damned about how those sounds are being created as long as they are having fun.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/27/13 06:37 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#362274 - 02/27/13 07:28 AM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

"The audience rarely knows what is playing what, but they can smell out when more is being played than one man can possibly do!"

It's an automated arranger ....period.

#362276 - 02/27/13 07:46 AM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
John,
Press the Channel On/Off button, then press the Top button above the style part you want to change.
This will get you to the sound menu. Hit the Up button to get past the Style Part voices, into the main Voice menu. Select any sound you like, from any Bank.
Hope this helps.
DonM

#362278 - 02/27/13 08:07 AM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: DonM]
john smies Offline

Don/Gary,

Thanks for your explanations, but I still do not get want I would want really. I can NOT replace all five instrument tracks by a piano or electric piano, just try and do that for example with style Rock&Roll ( R/B , page one , style 9).
Two of the tracks, when replace by piano play a high pitched arpeggio ( obviously a few octaves too high). YOu will encounter this with many more styles. Scott's explanation is plausible but still I think one meets with a limitation not found on the Korgs..............may be wrong..............

regards,
JOhn

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online