SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#362232 - 02/26/13 12:10 PM How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why?
Dnj Offline

Personally I rarely strip down style parts as I was the fullest sound I can get as a OMB performer trying to replace a full band...in fact I wish at times I had even MORE parts then what's offered in a style that's where the MULTIPADS come in very handy to fill in variation GAPS., I sometimes will record a NEW style part to fit my song or a multitrack backing track MP3 to play and sing with to fill the need,.....One thing I mostly eliminate in a style is any Choir, or Scat Voices as they are not needed for my needs on stage. Any its mostly Pedal To The metal regarding style parts for me....How about you?

Edited by Dnj (02/26/13 12:17 PM)

#362235 - 02/26/13 01:54 PM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I generally take out the horns and strings and pads in country styles. Most of the time I like to sound like a small combo, not an orchestra. I could be happy with drums, bass, piano and guitar strum, maybe an organ here and there in some styles.

My lead sounds are guitars, piano, sax, organ, harmonica, Cajun accordion, more or less in that order. I use vibes on some jazz songs and an occasional EP. That's about it.
DonM

#362236 - 02/26/13 02:13 PM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
all the way smile To me the best is the small combo sound and groove!!

#362237 - 02/26/13 02:29 PM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: miden]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Pretty much just drums, bass and piano...sometimes (i/2 the time), I just use left-handed bass. Want to play as much live as possible.

R

#362238 - 02/26/13 02:46 PM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

It's amazing how different we are,........also the "gig venue" warrants the style of music played,....for example Dennis, & Russ's versions above would never be used IMO for a pumping packed dance crowds,...but, in a small lounge scenario it would work to a point for some....I played with 7-8 pcs for 25 years and that's the way I want to sound today last 20 as a OMB...
it's worked very successfully for 45+ years to this day so there's no reason to stop now. cool2

Edited by Dnj (02/26/13 02:59 PM)

#362239 - 02/26/13 02:52 PM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I will often strip down some 'Big Band' styles especially if I like the drum/bass/guitar patterns and save them under a different name for use in different songs, or depending on the venue ...

If I am playing in an intimate atmosphere in a restaurant or 'supper club' (do they call them that any more confused1 ) I will generally keep it simple, but if I am playing for dancing I like the sound of a big band backing me up ...

#362242 - 02/26/13 04:00 PM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: tony mads usa]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sometimes I will take out the piano parts on swinging or bossa nova type stuff because I like to play it myself. Also like Tony, I'll take out some of the horn back up on some of the big band styles.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#362244 - 02/26/13 04:48 PM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Much of this depends upon the style itself. Some are a bit too busy, while others may need the assistance of multi-pads. There's no hard, fast rule when it comes to styles, at last as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#362246 - 02/26/13 05:09 PM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If the venu is small, and it's unlikely that I will push any real volume - I take out almost all the fluff and just leave the core trio behind my chording hand. I'll let Mr Korg play Bass, Drums and Strings(guitar, organ whatever it is ..)in a small setting - a large ensemble can sound very lackluster, especially if you're playing quietly.
My "go to" sound has always been: Rhodes(RH) Bass(LH), drums and synth du jour .... add strong vocal harmonies and I'm set.

#362254 - 02/26/13 08:11 PM Re: How Much do you STRIP Down your Styles & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I take out everything I can play myself. Depends on the song, but I've played live bands all my life. Few of them had horns, string sections, rhythm AND lead keyboard players... I was expected to do all that myself. I usually had a bass player, a drummer and one guitarist. And we managed to pull it off...

So, primarily, all I want is that rhythm section. The rest should be me. I don't do bigband, so no-one is expecting an 18 piece band. The minute you start allowing the machine to take over, you dilute what YOU are doing. The audience rarely knows what is playing what, but they can smell out when more is being played than one man can possibly do!

I want my audience to know, when they hear me, that it's ME...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online