SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#361843 - 02/20/13 06:50 AM Bad Moon Re-recorded
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
New recording of Bad Moon Rising with no doubling and more emphasis on the harmony. Comments appreciated especially from Diki. smile

Col

Attachments
Bad Moon Rising 3.mp3 (64 downloads)

#361850 - 02/20/13 08:34 AM Re: Bad Moon Re-recorded [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Nice job Col...a better performance, ....I would suggest taking the vocals up a half step as exampled here in this cleaner mix.. to give your vocals more of a "power range' then the original...see what you think compare both. wink

Attachments
bmr.mp3 (34 downloads)

Edited by Dnj (02/20/13 08:36 AM)

#361852 - 02/20/13 08:58 AM Re: Bad Moon Re-recorded [Re: Dnj]
Saswick Offline

Donny: I used to do this one a tone up but after Christmas i had a realy bad cough and a cold lost my voice completely for three weeks and since then I've had to lower all my songs one tone. Having said that I'll redo it in (F) the last one was (Eb).

How's this for a quicky

Col

Attachments
Bad Moon Rising 4.mp3 (42 downloads)

Edited by Saswick (02/20/13 09:16 AM)

#361854 - 02/20/13 09:17 AM Re: Bad Moon Re-recorded [Re: Saswick]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Colin ... much better recording ... I would agree with Donny about the key you are singing in, but I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your voice ... take good care of THAT instrument ... singer
Personally, I generally try to sing in the highest key possible - depending on the song ...

#361860 - 02/20/13 09:26 AM Re: Bad Moon Re-recorded [Re: tony mads usa]
Saswick Offline

Thank's Guys

Shudder to think what Diki will say.

Must be the quickest recording I've ever done, about half an hour from Donny's comment to posting the new one.

Col

#361863 - 02/20/13 10:32 AM Re: Bad Moon Re-recorded [Re: Saswick]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm still waiting for Diki to post one of his vocals.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#361864 - 02/20/13 10:39 AM Re: Bad Moon Re-recorded [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Much better (don't shudder!)... VH sounds like singers now.

I'd perhaps drop some reverb too. Once again, our head voice always makes what we listen to sound a hair drier than it actually is. Usually, if you think, when performing, that you are a bit drier than you want to be, out front or on tape, it's more often right!

Keeping the lead voice a bit dry helps 'push' it to the front of a mix. Maybe put a hair more reverb on the VH than your own vocals (a tiny hair!) helps make them seem like they are standing behind you. Try to think of reverb as a 'distance' knob. The lead singer is always out front, in your face. And the band and backup singers are behind him... Try reverb-ing appropriately!

I think this, as far as the VH goes, is a night and day improvement over the previous recording. Well done!

#361865 - 02/20/13 10:44 AM Re: Bad Moon Re-recorded [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not sure with the obsession over my voice (plus I've posted it in the past), Gary.

If this were a singer's forum, I could understand it. But then again, I wouldn't be hanging on a singer's forum! I sing for my supper, but not for my own enjoyment... I've had the pleasure of working with some of the world's best singers, and have learned to accept my limitations! Good enough to gig, but not good enough to brag about.

Yep, I'll put my playing up against most. But my singing?

Best left to the imagination!

#361867 - 02/20/13 11:00 AM Re: Bad Moon Re-recorded [Re: Diki]
Saswick Offline

Thank's Diki, I'll tweak it again and repost. This is proving quite educational what with Dinasaurs an all LOL

I listened to Laura Clapp carefully and noticed the volume of the harmony was quite high and you could hear the separation on the individual voices quite clearly.

The preset I used was one voice a third up and a second voice an octave up(Female).

The Mix certainly seems much better but as you say it can still can be improved.

As an experiment I will try some different voicings for the harmony parts in sequence so you may judge for yourself

The Voicelive is very flexible when you start to dig under the surface the only problem I find and I am sure you will have noticed the tracking sometimes seems a touch slow. You have to time yor left hand changes a little in advance to allow the midi signal time to transmit. Latency?

Watch this space.

Col

#361951 - 02/21/13 01:26 PM Re: Bad Moon Re-recorded [Re: Saswick]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Col. This is by far your best demonstration yet! I believe a VH is most effective when used sparingly.

Also the drummer in me would have liked to hear a snare backbeat on the chours and perhaps some fills going in and out of the verse. The Korg drums sound fantastic so you might as well show them off!

BTW, is that an onboard style on the PA 600? It's perfect for this tune.

I always enjoy your work. Thanks for sharing!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online