SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#361904 - 02/20/13 09:08 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Donny it'd take years to find the video and it would be embarrassing. That's way back when I first started playing again. The CD I sent you and struggled for weeks to do on my Sony Mini is as good as it's gonna get for me. I find trying to record and do everything by my self is not worth the time. And trying to get a balance to where all the low and high notes come out on the sax evenly is next to impossible with my equipment.
I do appreciate you asking.

#361905 - 02/20/13 09:30 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: tony mads usa]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

To me, the key is satisfying your audience, however you choose to do it, smile

dance2 *** Bullseye ***! dance2

You could save the time it takes to read through this thread and just note this one blockbuster statement here that Tony said.....
in just 12 words.

[color:#FF6666][/color]

#361907 - 02/20/13 11:30 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: TedS]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: TedS
Sounds great! But speaking of energy... how does he power what must be a good-sized amp or two powered speakers, the Pa1xPro (which takes a regular 120VAC cord), and a rack unit while sitting outside on the sidewalk?

I don't remember the details and even where I was, but I remember I was in NYC at the time and I came across either a solo artist or a small group (it might have been the Spanish group that plays the panflutes). I remember there was enough industrial-strength equipment there that I asked them how they powered it. The answer was: car batteries....one or a couple of them.

Details are sketchy, but I do remember saying to myself: "great music, I can't believe they're running the equipment off car batteries?" Anyone know how it's done?

#361913 - 02/21/13 03:50 AM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: jamman]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Car battery and an inexpensive inverter is the likely power source.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#361916 - 02/21/13 04:46 AM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: hammer]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Originally Posted By: hammer
Did you ever wonder how a guy with this kind of talent ends up playing for tips on the streets?

Yeah , He's probably earning up to $1000 a day at peak tourist season

in San Francisco's Pier 39

Frank

#361921 - 02/21/13 06:36 AM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: jamman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: jamman

you can see a DIEHARD battery being used in this video @ :26...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJrY_BEJRo&list=PLA7AC03CF35347BA6

Edited by Dnj (02/21/13 06:37 AM)

#361922 - 02/21/13 06:42 AM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: Mockie]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Mockie
Did you ever wonder how a guy with this kind of talent ends up playing for tips on the streets?

Frank

Do they need a permit to play there? ... how do they decide who gets the spot? ... is it first one in gets it?

#361924 - 02/21/13 06:48 AM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: Mark79100]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Mark79100

To me, the key is satisfying your audience, however you choose to do it, smile

dance2 *** Bullseye ***! dance2

You could save the time it takes to read through this thread and just note this one blockbuster statement here that Tony said.....
in just 12 words.

[color:#FF6666][/color]

Thank You, Mark ...
blush

#361925 - 02/21/13 06:54 AM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Mockie

Frank

Do they need a permit to play there? ... how do they decide who gets the spot? ... is it first one in gets it?

Each town has different laws, but that's easy to find out at the municipal building. Playing is one thing for donations,...but selling items CD's, etc,etc, for profit changes the game re: permits, licensing, tax ID, etc,. I'd say. confused1

Edited by Dnj (02/21/13 06:54 AM)

#361929 - 02/21/13 08:35 AM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary, actually, the Dubai job is ideal for me. The host never talks or even looks at me. I'm an infidel.

It's all done by a manager. Even if there are only three people in the dining room (and that's often the case), the host never acknowledges my presence.

Often, there are actors, other musicians (most way more well-known than me) and other internationally known people in the group. Generally, they're paid a ton of money for, say an appearance at a mall opening or something like that. They are invited evenings for dinner.

Same thing in the States. This fellow and a party of 12 frequents one of the places I work. They go to a private patio where they can be secluded but hear the music. They spend $3,000 on dinner and wine and tip the waiter (never a waitress) and me $500.00 each.

At the residence (a well-known horse farm), I'm the warm-up act for some of the finest entertainment in the world (I play for dinner), and occasionally, I get to work with some of these folks.

These acts include folks like the Neville brothers, playing for a party of 100 and similar acts.

On my part, not much in the area of entertainment. It's kind of like the restaurants. My job is to not get in the way.

I tell people I play 2nd fiddle to a ham sandwich (an expensive one, but a ham sandwich, non-the-less) LOL.

As far as pay in restaurants, you're right, my rate for 3 hours is $150.00. But, I get all the advertising, P/R and web work for the three restaurants the owners have (About $175,000.00 annually) and always score one big account a year from the visitors....most are 6 figure accounts (film work, mainly. I've had some for more than 15 years, and add to them annually.) That's why I do these kind of jobs.

Then, there's the private functions hosted by restaurant regulars. Those are $150.00 an hour. Plus, occasionally, I get to assemble a bigger group for, say, a corporate annual meeting.

My point is, for all of the above, I never open my mouth. I watch my volume, play the appropriate music and BS my way into the spot as the cool jazz dude they think they have to like.

Said I wasn't good at entertaining...never said I wasn't VERY GOOD at marketing.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/21/13 08:45 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online