PA1x pro on the street

Posted by: jamman

PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 12:55 AM

10 yr old KB still sounds good.another reason to keep your 76 keys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke7mbQBzqVk&list=PLA7AC03CF35347BA6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJrY_BEJRo&list=PLA7AC03CF35347BA6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eAtpaPNdpQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxeRtyAhRZc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvPVaXfPEo&list=PLA7AC03CF35347BA6&index=17
Posted by: Daniel_C

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 01:45 AM

Wow! Korg should hire this guy , give him a fully expanded PA3X and have him go around the world doing live demos , it certainly made me want to buy a PA1X!
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: jamman
another reason to keep your 76 keys.

Naw ... 61 is just fine for me! He didn't need all that real estate anyway. Good player, though!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 06:51 AM

These were posted here years ago good stuff....weird head movements!!! Yikes lol
Posted by: hammer

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 08:50 AM

Did you ever wonder how a guy with this kind of talent ends up playing for tips on the streets? While in Europe last year we saw several players on the streets that made me ask that question.

Deane
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 09:09 AM

This guy is frenetic energy on a keyboard!!! keys rocker

Originally Posted By: hammer
Did you ever wonder how a guy with this kind of talent ends up playing for tips on the streets? While in Europe last year we saw several players on the streets that made me ask that question.

Deane

Who knows ... he may have a steady gig somewhere and no doubt what he is picking up on the street is 'tax-free' ...
smile
Posted by: montunoman

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 09:26 AM

Deane

It's simple: too many talented musicians and too few venues that are willing to hire them.
Posted by: TedS

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 11:13 AM

Sounds great! But speaking of energy... how does he power what must be a good-sized amp or two powered speakers, the Pa1xPro (which takes a regular 120VAC cord), and a rack unit while sitting outside on the sidewalk?

I didn't see or hear a generator anywhere. Does someone let him run a heavy-duty extension cord into their store or something? When I worked in Philly there were a lot of street musicians and some of them were very talented. But they all played acoustic instruments!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 11:18 AM

I sincerely believe that there are lots of fantastic musicians out there that will never make a living in show biz. There are likely several reasons behind this, but I believe that at the top of that list is they're great musicians, but not entertainers. Entertainers, good ones that market themselves as such, can usually find more jobs than they can handle. Musicians, outstanding ones, are a dime a dozen.

Gary cool
Posted by: Diki

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 11:20 AM

Might be able to tie into a light pole... I've seen NOLA street guys do that. Or sometimes a local store allows a cord into their power. The increased foot traffic slowing down to listen increases their traffic too.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 12:53 PM

Ah, the musician vs the entertainer issue. I'm NOT an entertainer...don't even try. But I certainly don't go without clothes or enough to eat.

It's all a question of degree. Looks like it is possible for an "entertainer" to work 300 one hour nursing home jobs a year and clear $30,000-40,000.00. That may be all the work one can handle in a year.

My residuals for my top 10 commercials are considerably more than that annually. Sound scores pay $1,000.00 a finished minute.

My 4 one week trips to Dubai pay almost 4 time that.

In my case, I have more brains than talent. I know how to get paid for work that I'm proud of.

In this area, the entertainers who do things like nursing homes are the bottom of the talent pool. They couldn't beg
a well paying dinner gig, spot as a feature with the Philharmonic or get hired for events, like the governors office, the president of fortune 500 companies or the like.

Top musicians work all the time and get paid well for the effort. Of course, they have to be more than adequate and have the skills to market their product.

And, if they're like me (not that I claim to be a top musician, like my friend Rory or others)they are less than amused at the so called entertainers who couldn't play their way out of a paper bag.

There's a pride and brotherhood among musicians. That unspoken communication when you're "trading fours" or sharing innovations on a lead line is rare....a life-changer.

Whether you're a musician or an entertainer (it's rare to find someone who is both), you need to do your job with a sense of "prideful accomplishment".

If you're a musical entertainer, at least learn to play in more than one key and learn more than simple three chord changes.

And, if you're a musician, realize that you have to be the top in your field to really do well.

Plus, always remember that the audience does not spend 10 hours a day listening and studying music like you do.

NEVER LOOK DOWN AT THOSE WHO PAY THE BILL. But, NEVER sell out (whatever that means to you).

Don't play yourself out of a job, Find some way to get paid for your talent other than playing live.

I respect good entertainers. I just don't ever want to be one.

Russ
Posted by: Harold123

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 01:05 PM

Very good Musician...Korg Pro Sounds Great...But I think that Sound synth sound module connected under his keyboard sure looks like a Roland JV-1080 can be expanded(4 expansion bds) or a JV-2080 (8 expansion bds)...I just played the video's quickly...Some Organs, Guitars,and Grand Piano's sounded Roland to Me!...What's Your opinion?

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ

I respect good entertainers. I just don't ever want to be one.
Russ

Russ ... when you are playing and your audience is enjoying your music, aren't you 'entertaining' them? ... so in that sense aren't you an 'entertainer'? ...
IMHO, a good musician IS an entertainer ... but an entertainer may not be a good musician ...

To me, the key is satisfying your audience, however you choose to do it, and be whatever you want to be called ...
And it has NOTHING to do with how much money we make or how we make it ...
AND, working nursing home gigs and the like DOES NOT automatically put one at the bottom of the talent pool ... I know of your work in the area of senior care etc. so I am NOT referring to you when I say that if that IS the case, then perhaps it would be nice if the 'REAL MUSICIANS' would play some nursing home gigs as well ...
smile

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 01:54 PM

To get back on track ... I see that the fellow in the vids is also selling CDs ... I have seen that fairly often, and there are certain subway stations in NYC where there is always someone playing an instrument for tips and many are selling CDs as well ...
A friend of mine from NY has told me you have to apply for a permit to work these 'gigs' and there is quite a waiting list ...

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 03:01 PM

Tony, I'm not an entertainer in the sense that I will NOT concentrate on meaningless banter and have the selection of tunes I play restricted by my inability to play the more challenging materials.

I believe those who are in other ares and who play nursing homes are probably players of an acceptable (not embarrassing) level, but around here, those who do that kind of work are literally the bottom of the barrel, talent-wise. Most NEVER had enough ability to work lounges, restaurants,
organizational functions, etc. At first, when I was a caregiver for two family members, I thought it was neat that several really weak amateurs volunteered at the nursing homes I visited. Then I found out that they were paid and I could not believe it. When I became involved in Nursing Home reform, I was shocked to find out that there were no talented people in the rotation.

It's kind of like these folk excuse their lack of ability by
believing that they bring so much pleasure to the audience and talk about their sincerity. Believe me, that's a poor justification for what these people do.

I think in Lexington, the residents of nursing homers deserve better. To a person, the folks who entertain in this venue are AWFUL!

I certainly hope this is not the case in other parts of the country.

I prefer to work in the area of Nursing Home Reform and to raise money for the Habitat Project in New Orleans for older, displaced musicians.

Russ

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
To a person, the folks who entertain in this venue are AWFUL!
Russ

Russ, that really is too bad for the NH residents in Lexington ...
From my experience here in RI I am pleased to say that is not the case ... now maybe a number of the people who entertain in NH up here are not 'top notch' jazz players, but for the most part they are people who have - and many still do - make a good dollar playing clubs -including jazz clubs - and restaurants in the area as members of trios on up and can cover many different styles of music ...
I have said before, that one of the first things that impressed me when I moved to RI was the number of quality musicians in this area ... Fortunately many of them avail themselves to working the NH circuit as well ...
Posted by: brickboo

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 05:20 PM

Are there any legal professionals on this forum.

I want to sue Russ for plagiarism. His first post sounds like he's done a lot of research of some of my old post. As a matter of fact the way it starts, I thought he just copied and pasted my stuff. He makes plenty of money, I don't think his family is very big and I really need the cash. Lawyers usually charge 30%, I will split 50% if we can win a case here.

Call me I don't want to wait for an email or snail mail OK?

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 06:06 PM

On a more serious note. Is the video camera recording the sound? I had a friend do a video of me in the park and the sound quality left a lot to be desired. It just didn't pick me up as good as this video does. Of course we had crowd talking and noise too.

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 06:23 PM

Boo post that video?

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 06:36 PM

Russ,

In this part of the world, many of the top entertainers are currently performing the NH circuit. We've all done the nite-club/restaurant circuit, many of performing 5 nights a week in the top restaurants/clubs. I personally know of at least two Peabody trained arranger keyboard players that play the NH circuit, and when the Glenn Miller Band and Dorsey Brothers Band comes to the area, they are among the first musician/entertainers called. The bottom of the heap? I don't think so! These are the best of the best.

Now maybe in beautiful downtown Lexington the restaurants and clubs pay big bucks, but that's definitely not the case anywhere I've been in the past 50 years. And, lets face it - do you think those people in Dubai DON'T want to be entertained? Cmon! That's why they hired you in the first place.

Gary cool

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 09:08 PM

Donny it'd take years to find the video and it would be embarrassing. That's way back when I first started playing again. The CD I sent you and struggled for weeks to do on my Sony Mini is as good as it's gonna get for me. I find trying to record and do everything by my self is not worth the time. And trying to get a balance to where all the low and high notes come out on the sax evenly is next to impossible with my equipment.
I do appreciate you asking.
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

To me, the key is satisfying your audience, however you choose to do it, smile

dance2 *** Bullseye ***! dance2

You could save the time it takes to read through this thread and just note this one blockbuster statement here that Tony said.....
in just 12 words.

[color:#FF6666][/color]
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/20/13 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: TedS
Sounds great! But speaking of energy... how does he power what must be a good-sized amp or two powered speakers, the Pa1xPro (which takes a regular 120VAC cord), and a rack unit while sitting outside on the sidewalk?

I don't remember the details and even where I was, but I remember I was in NYC at the time and I came across either a solo artist or a small group (it might have been the Spanish group that plays the panflutes). I remember there was enough industrial-strength equipment there that I asked them how they powered it. The answer was: car batteries....one or a couple of them.

Details are sketchy, but I do remember saying to myself: "great music, I can't believe they're running the equipment off car batteries?" Anyone know how it's done?

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/21/13 03:50 AM

Car battery and an inexpensive inverter is the likely power source.

Gary cool
Posted by: Mockie

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/21/13 04:46 AM

Did you ever wonder how a guy with this kind of talent ends up playing for tips on the streets?

Yeah , He's probably earning up to $1000 a day at peak tourist season

in San Francisco's Pier 39

Frank

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/21/13 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: jamman

you can see a DIEHARD battery being used in this video @ :26...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJrY_BEJRo&list=PLA7AC03CF35347BA6

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/21/13 06:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Mockie
Did you ever wonder how a guy with this kind of talent ends up playing for tips on the streets?

Frank

Do they need a permit to play there? ... how do they decide who gets the spot? ... is it first one in gets it?

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/21/13 06:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark79100

To me, the key is satisfying your audience, however you choose to do it, smile

dance2 *** Bullseye ***! dance2

You could save the time it takes to read through this thread and just note this one blockbuster statement here that Tony said.....
in just 12 words.

[color:#FF6666][/color]

Thank You, Mark ...
blush

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/21/13 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Mockie

Frank

Do they need a permit to play there? ... how do they decide who gets the spot? ... is it first one in gets it?

Each town has different laws, but that's easy to find out at the municipal building. Playing is one thing for donations,...but selling items CD's, etc,etc, for profit changes the game re: permits, licensing, tax ID, etc,. I'd say. confused1

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/21/13 08:35 AM

Gary, actually, the Dubai job is ideal for me. The host never talks or even looks at me. I'm an infidel.

It's all done by a manager. Even if there are only three people in the dining room (and that's often the case), the host never acknowledges my presence.

Often, there are actors, other musicians (most way more well-known than me) and other internationally known people in the group. Generally, they're paid a ton of money for, say an appearance at a mall opening or something like that. They are invited evenings for dinner.

Same thing in the States. This fellow and a party of 12 frequents one of the places I work. They go to a private patio where they can be secluded but hear the music. They spend $3,000 on dinner and wine and tip the waiter (never a waitress) and me $500.00 each.

At the residence (a well-known horse farm), I'm the warm-up act for some of the finest entertainment in the world (I play for dinner), and occasionally, I get to work with some of these folks.

These acts include folks like the Neville brothers, playing for a party of 100 and similar acts.

On my part, not much in the area of entertainment. It's kind of like the restaurants. My job is to not get in the way.

I tell people I play 2nd fiddle to a ham sandwich (an expensive one, but a ham sandwich, non-the-less) LOL.

As far as pay in restaurants, you're right, my rate for 3 hours is $150.00. But, I get all the advertising, P/R and web work for the three restaurants the owners have (About $175,000.00 annually) and always score one big account a year from the visitors....most are 6 figure accounts (film work, mainly. I've had some for more than 15 years, and add to them annually.) That's why I do these kind of jobs.

Then, there's the private functions hosted by restaurant regulars. Those are $150.00 an hour. Plus, occasionally, I get to assemble a bigger group for, say, a corporate annual meeting.

My point is, for all of the above, I never open my mouth. I watch my volume, play the appropriate music and BS my way into the spot as the cool jazz dude they think they have to like.

Said I wasn't good at entertaining...never said I wasn't VERY GOOD at marketing.

Russ

Re: PA1x pro on the street - 02/21/13 08:37 AM

I'm surprised about the concern of the power source. In New Orleans, in the French Quarters a few years back, I just plugged into a wall outlet inside of the building near by.
In Grand Junction in the business district where I play, there are outlets in the light poles and in the planters along the street.

Is this guy playing in the boondocks where there is no electric? I don't think so out in San Francisco, eh? Where in the hell is Scott Yee on this one. He knows the answer.