SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#361593 - 02/17/13 09:52 PM XD9 help needed!
Roppe Offline

Hello everyboby..
I've been reading this forum on and off for quite some time now and it's been a great source for information. I've soleved must of my problems with just reading, but now i'm having a major problem that i realy need help with. Hoping that someone here can help me with it..

Im having problem with my Ketron XD9 keyboard. I't doesn't save any settings any more. Neither the startup (general) settings, user voice or styles settings, nothing. It doesn't show any of the preset styles, just the ones that i load from the floppy or the internal hard drive. All the factory presets are completely blank, no styles and no program (combination) voices. The basic voices are there there and i can program the kayboard as always, but after i've turned it off and on it's completly blank again. Exept for the user styles i loaded from the hard drive.

I've sent it to the local rapair man, but he found nothing. All hed did was a general cleanup.. I sent it to my brother who's usualy quite good at repairing electronical equipment, but he's not a musician and not used to musical equipment either so no help there. But at least he could se that there aren't any problem with the soldering and nothing is burnt inside the keybord.

If any one has any info or help, i would be very gratefull! It's as you all know an older keyboard and though i got it cheap when i got it, im not that interrested in spending to much money sending it here and there for a repair. Not when there are newer keyboards for not that much money to be found on the used market..

Thanks in advance and thans for a great forum!

#361594 - 02/17/13 10:46 PM Re: XD9 help needed! [Re: Roppe]
Roppe Offline

Forgot to mention that i've also updated the operating system (tried it several times and several versions) and i've been in contact with the retailer here in sweden, but no help from them at all..

Thanks again.

#361753 - 02/19/13 04:19 AM Re: XD9 help needed! [Re: Roppe]
Roppe Offline

Anyone?

A little update: I've tried to load the operating system again (new download, new disk) but now i can't even load the operating system (or styles) from the floppydrive. All i get is a error message (program flash corrupted, write program on flash E0).

It seams that the keyboard isn't able to acces the flash memory, which is were i guess the factory styles are located? I've opened the keyboard again and neither me or my friend can se anything that seams out of the ordinary. All connections are clean and fastened as they should. Nothing is damaged in any way.. I've tried to reset the keyboard in every way i can, i even formated the hard drive. But nothing works..

Is there a way to reset the keyboard at startup? Is there anyone on the forum who knows anything about the flash memory, is there a separate memory for the sounds and are the factory styles located in the same memory as the operating system and user settings? Any help would be appreciated.

#361758 - 02/19/13 05:29 AM Re: XD9 help needed! [Re: Roppe]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Maybe this will help:

1. When the machine is turned on and the display on the main screen, press the F1 and F10
2. After the initial diagnostics on the various sections F10 press "Continue" screen should appear and various test options to perform the test in manual or automatic mode
3. Pressing the F1 key to test the flash U11 and the possible expansion that are on the cpu (PB343)
4. Pressing the F2 key you enter the munu LEDS, TABS: this screen:
a) Press the F2 key you test all LEDs
b) Press the F4 key you test each switch and effect pedals
c) To exit this menu, press F5 "EXIT" twice
5. Pressing the F3 key will head the keyboard
6. Press F4 testing the floppy and hd
7. The F10 key "AUTO." Should not be used while pressing the F9 key "Manual" mode is entered manual test and here you will see the different sections that you can test
8. Pressing the F1 key to enter the menu DSP0 (9707), from this screen:
a) On this screen you will see the Firmware Check Sum: ------ (see table)
b) Pressing F5 will verify the checksum of flash parameters and Roma are the Build tab sounds.
c) The functions are located at the keys F9 - F10 should not be used
9. After the verification will appear a series of alphanumeric data which must correspond to the table below
10. Returning to the Manual Menu, press the F2 key to test the Dynamic Ram U12 located on the PB343 cpu
11. Pressing the F3 key will head the Floppy Disk
12. Press F4 "ANALOGIC" you test the volume pedal, pitch and modulation
13. Pressing F6 will test the audio outputs
14. Pressing the F7 test inputs midi. For this test, connect a MIDI cable between the MIDI inputs (IN1-OUT) & (IN2 - OUT)
15. Pressing the F8 key you test HD
16. Pressing the F9 key will head the rom of styles that is on the cpu PB 343
17. Pressing the F10 key will head the flash DSP0

NB In the version which is installed on the PB 430 ic U9 and U11 are flash

Attachments
xd-checksum.jpg

#361767 - 02/19/13 08:35 AM Re: XD9 help needed! [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Roppe Offline

Thank you very much for your answer! :-)

I've done all the tests you sugested and everything seams to be ok, exept test #3 on your list. During that test The message onscreen is:
Pattern extension: not available
70: Flash check sum error bank: 00E2

During the manual test #8, the result aligns with the first column in your attachment file. What does the error message mean? Is it a hardware error on the flsh memory or is it a software error?

Thanks again for your answer :-)

#361788 - 02/19/13 02:13 PM Re: XD9 help needed! [Re: Roppe]
Tonewheeldude Offline

There is a problem with the flash ram. it may be the expansion ram on the main board. Open up the XD9 and look for the large board in the middle, hopefully you will see a ram expansion port with some ram in there. You could try removing the ram, cleaning the connections and re-inserting - ot try running the tests without the ram.

If the test still shows an error without the ram installed then you either need to replace the CPU board or have the built in flash memory replaced (special tools required)

#361859 - 02/20/13 09:26 AM Re: XD9 help needed! [Re: Roppe]
Roppe Offline

Well, i think we have found the problem.. I pulled out the ram to clean it, and found that some of the "legs" were bent and one even fell of. Guess i'll talk to my brother again to se if he thinks he can solder the loose leg and carefully bend the other ones back...

Thank you very much Tonewheeldude, and again thanks for a great forum! :-)

#361873 - 02/20/13 11:29 AM Re: XD9 help needed! [Re: Roppe]
Tonewheeldude Offline

you should be able to use the keyboard without the ram. as far as i remeber its only for sampled sounds, so your registrations, settings and even pattern memory should not be affected.

Did you try tr keyboard or run the test without the ram installed?

#361941 - 02/21/13 11:24 AM Re: XD9 help needed! [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Roppe Offline

No, i didn't run the test again as i thought we've localised the problem.. But now that i've been thinking, i suspect i've misunderstood you regarding witch circuit to check and clean. Take a look at the image i've attached if you could point out witch circuit you mean. The one i've marked is the one i took out and witch had the crooked and broken legs..

Attachments
Mainboard.png

Edited by Roppe (02/21/13 11:25 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online