#361723 - 02/18/13 03:15 PM Re: I love my keytar! [Re: Diki]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

Enjoy

Bill

#361724 - 02/18/13 03:17 PM Re: I love my keytar! [Re: tony mads usa]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I've carried the KX-5 on gigs for years ... keep it in the van, it's a convenient back-up keyboard. I also use it on some oldies and margarita night gigs. Love it! (Actually have 2 of 'em - back-up to the back-up).
Ciao,
Jerry

Edited by Jerry T (02/18/13 03:20 PM)

#361732 - 02/18/13 04:04 PM Re: I love my keytar! [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thanks Bill... fun stuff. Mind you, Back in Black triggering the chords and playing the lead might be a hair scary!

A lot of clubs round here have scaled back to guitarists, either solo or with tracks or loopers. I'm thinking of trying a whole gig solo with this, perhaps a bit less intimidating than bringing in the G70 and sitting down.

I think mostly I'll go with sequences, but quite a bit I can possibly pull off with this technique (and the odd request.... the odder, the better!). It'll certainly be unique for my area, anyway!

Just wish I had one of those screamer rock voices!

#361752 - 02/18/13 11:29 PM Re: I love my keytar! [Re: Diki]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Loved it Diki. You have an intuitive feel for how a guitar part should sound. You really make that keytar work for you ... and it worked for me too. I don't care about flubs ... in fact I prefer a more human performance because it has more raw emotion and playing a convincing guitar part is all about emotion. guitar

By the way I still listen to your performance http://www.synthzone.com/songs/diki/Zawinul.mp3 which always moves me. It is the only time I have heard anyone cover this wonderful tune by the late Joe Zawinul from the Heavy Weather album ... and it always moves me intensely. I saw Joe perform this live so many years ago so it has a very special memory for me. He was playing with Wayne Shorter and Jaco Pastorius at the time I saw them. A truly magical concert I will never forget. Thank you for keeping this magic alive.

#361755 - 02/19/13 04:39 AM Re: I love my keytar! [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

I just wonder what REAL Guitar players think about the KEYTAR..
is it frowned upon like Workstation Synth vs Arranger KB players or embraced ? For me personally I think its kool and when I close my eyes it sounds Great and that's the bottom line.

#361765 - 02/19/13 08:16 AM Re: I love my keytar! [Re: Nigel]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Nigel
Loved it Diki. You have an intuitive feel for how a guitar part should sound. You really make that keytar work for you ... and it worked for me too. I don't care about flubs ... in fact I prefer a more human performance because it has more raw emotion and playing a convincing guitar part is all about emotion. guitar

By the way I still listen to your performance http://www.synthzone.com/songs/diki/Zawinul.mp3 which always moves me. It is the only time I have heard anyone cover this wonderful tune by the late Joe Zawinul from the Heavy Weather album ... and it always moves me intensely. I saw Joe perform this live so many years ago so it has a very special memory for me. He was playing with Wayne Shorter and Jaco Pastorius at the time I saw them. A truly magical concert I will never forget. Thank you for keeping this magic alive.

What is the name of the song?

#361794 - 02/19/13 02:55 PM Re: I love my keytar! [Re: Diki]
Tonewheeldude Offline

some friends run a 70s showband, the keyboard player uses a Roland AX to very good effect smile

This was at a charity gig last summer.

#361808 - 02/19/13 07:16 PM Re: I love my keytar! [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Dennis, that is 'A Remark you Made' from the Heavy Weather album.

Mind you, my piece was more a sketch of it rather than the full thing. He had just died that day (Zawinul) and I was a bit overcome. One of my personal heroes (though I don't really try to play his style - just had enormous love for his work).

#361809 - 02/19/13 07:19 PM Re: I love my keytar! [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Donny, I've played my keytar with real guitarists forever. Never had one say a bad word. Admittedly, I rarely spend all my time playing guitar patches when I have a good guitarist right there, but I still like to freak 'em out a bit!

I did one gig where I sat in for a band member who couldn't make it who played guitar and fiddle, so just for fun, I stuck to just guitar and fiddle patches... That seriously weirded them out, seeing it all come from a keytar!

#361816 - 02/19/13 10:05 PM Re: I love my keytar! [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

And, belated thanks to Nigel... glad you enjoyed it. Maybe rock is a bit of a hard sell here, in our land of Broadway showstoppers and 50's doo-wop fans, but I'm glad someone gets it! After the last thread about a EVH guitar emulation, I wasn't sure!

The amp sims on those guitars is really quite good. I can back the volume down a hair and clean the sound up a bit, or push it into more overdrive by a bit of boost. Really fun, once you dial it in (most of the factory presets overdo it, as always!). It's not ALL 11/11/11..! (Hmmmm...I wonder how well Big Bottoms would go over here?!)
guitar

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online