SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#361329 - 02/14/13 07:50 AM OT - iPad / iPhone5 / unlimited contract
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Okay, so, I suppose I will go with an iPad and get the max memory model.

I called Apple and the customer service rep was clear as mud. They have a version with wifi, max memory for $799 and you can also get cellular added for a total of $929. First, I'm trying to figure out if I even need the cellular. What is this for, just when you are somewhere that does not have wifi but you badly need to connect to the internet? Has anyone found this useful?

Second, I was trying to figure out how I could use my AT&T cellular contract that has unlimited everything. How would I 'connect' on an iPad and use my cellphone contract? Do I have to have a dongle device or something like that?

I am also going to upgrade to an iPhone5. I am grandfathered into a $99/month unlimited everything.

Lastly, a separate issue... Wal-mart has "Straight Talk" cellular and they are advertising iPhone5 with unlimited everything (text, talk, data) for $49/month. As I said, I am grandfathered into a truly unlimited plan with AT&T for $99/month. I like $49/month better! But I worry about gotcha's with the Wal-mart Straight Talk. Anyone have any straight talk about Straight Talk? I'd hate to cancel my grandfathered AT&T plan and then discover that Straight Talk isn't what I thought it was.

I'm not married to AT&T, but it works okay. I've had it for going on five years now.

I also want a keyboard for the iPad. Any recommendation? (EDIT: This looks good -- cover/keyboard.

Thanks, you guys on here are pretty tech-savvy and have valuable real world experience.

#361337 - 02/14/13 10:30 AM Re: OT - iPad / iPhone5 / unlimited contract [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Tablets can communicate via Wi Fi or Bluetooth with any Mobile Phone, so just go for the Wi Fi version and on the off chance you need to access the internet via the mobile network then just pair it (Connect) with your mobile.

Hope this helps

Bill

#361339 - 02/14/13 10:43 AM Re: OT - iPad / iPhone5 / unlimited contract [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
billyhank Offline

I bought the 32 Gig version with WiFi only and I use my home network with it. I also have the Iphone and it uses my home wifi instead of cellular too.

I've put a lot of stuff on my Ipad and not used hardly any of its memory.

I'm using AT&T.

Bill

#361355 - 02/14/13 03:15 PM Re: OT - iPad / iPhone5 / unlimited contract [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey Bill,
I'm not sure about ATT, but Verizon offers all your devices to share the same data plan, and if you want that plan, you'd loose your grandfathers rate. The iPhone can work as a personal hotspot for any wifi device in range, so if you don't need the iPad connected all the time - that may be a way to go. I use it that way sometimes. The only downside to that is that a call or text will interrupt the data and you'll get bumped.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online