SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#361142 - 02/12/13 03:26 AM from the Archives
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi,

Over the weekend I was sorting out some harddisk and old stuff of mine and came across two recordings that I thought I might want to share with you.
The first one ( Supremes song) was recorded 20 years ago with the sole use of a Roland E70 keyboard and two old tape recorders !
The second one ( Moody Blues) was recorded I think in 2002 when I had just purchased my Korg PA80, which as you all know is virtually identical to the current Korg Micro Arranger and PA50sd. Another direct recorded with one single overdub for the voices.

regards,
John

https://www.box.com/s/ph7alz9p52siicuz54uq
https://www.box.com/s/gozvdo5binalkoj1j6xv

#361145 - 02/12/13 04:27 AM Re: from the Archives [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

Nice Job on two classic songs John ....Thanx for sharing!

#361151 - 02/12/13 07:49 AM Re: from the Archives [Re: john smies]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: john smies

Hi,

The first one ( Supremes song) was recorded 20 years ago with the sole use of a Roland E70 keyboard and two old tape recorders !

regards,
John

https://www.box.com/s/ph7alz9p52siicuz54uq
https://www.box.com/s/gozvdo5binalkoj1j6xv

Thanks, John ... I remember well the days of trying to get 'multi tracks' recordings using two tape recorders - or MORE ...

#361205 - 02/12/13 11:00 AM Re: from the Archives [Re: john smies]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I enjoyed those! Great work that stands the test of time.
DonM

#361244 - 02/13/13 12:02 AM Re: from the Archives [Re: DonM]
john smies Offline

thank you Tony and Don.
Sometimes it is a pleaure to listen to one's own oldies ( often it is not) but like you said I guess they stand the test of time fairly well. Looking back and listening back I am always amazed about the forte of the Korg PA80 which can now be had at less than 400 bucks in the form of the Korg Micro Arranger.
Recently I had someone from the UK with a Yammie PSR1500 (!!) inquire about the KMA. On my advice he bought one, connected it to the Yamaha thru a small behringer mixing console (802) to get the input sensitivity correct and to boost EQ's and behold: he is a very happy man. ( plays all but the Korg uppers via the Yamaha keys, midi connected).
Getting back down memory lane and also bearing in mind the extensive discussion on the merits of audio drums, any of you guys old enough to have worked with the L.A. produced DRUM DROP albums in the eighties ?? I still have tape recordings of those as well. I think I had five different albums on which seasoned L.A. studio drummers did five minutes of various styles which you could then use as a basis for your song. Mind you , one had to go along with the drummer !! FUN all the same.

regards,
John

#361247 - 02/13/13 01:21 AM Re: from the Archives [Re: john smies]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Nice job John.

#361255 - 02/13/13 08:07 AM Re: from the Archives [Re: john smies]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Nice... especially the Korg (see? LOL I can pick other arrangers as sounding better than Roland when they do!)

I'm interested in why you chose to not go with a flute for the Nights solo... it is so integral to the song, LOL

#361260 - 02/13/13 08:40 AM Re: from the Archives [Re: Diki]
john smies Offline

Thanks Nigel, Diki.

Diki,

I was not even thinking about the original recording and besides I am not too particular to flute sounds. Reminds me too much of the Yammies smile. No seriously though, this time I stayed pretty close to the original song etc. whereas I normally prefer to drift away from the original both in content and in tempo. Prerogative of the home musician so to speak !!

regards,
John

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online