SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#360517 - 02/06/13 05:34 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Maybe Yamaha should take some Audio lessons from Ketron? coffee

And then, Ketron can take some marketing lessons from Yamaha!
smile

#360518 - 02/06/13 05:44 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Maybe Yamaha should take some Audio lessons from Ketron? coffee

And then, Ketron can take some marketing lessons from Yamaha!
smile

DITTO! smile Then they can also take some customer service lessons from Yamaha as well.

Edited by travlin'easy (02/06/13 05:45 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#360521 - 02/06/13 05:59 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
It is also possible with the Audya to use Midi drums instead of Audio drums, and then you have the same facilities as any other keyboard, but I guarantee not a single Audya owner would want to do that because through a PA with a room full of people live drums are just miles apart from Midi drums. You wont hear that through headphones or in your home fully....add to that the live guitars and an Audya owner stands out head and shoulders above the rest.

This, again, is kind of my point about audio drums... If they ARE so much better than MIDI drums, who wants to use legacy and converted styles only to be shown up by the audio loops? And sorry, but you can only use the audio loops already in the machine. This isn't going to help you one iota with styles in genres either not present at all, or poorly represented (no-one wants every polka, or reggae style to have the exact same drums).

Would someone with an Audya care to post some drum demo's of audio styles they have made themselves? Is it even possible? Can you create entire audio drum parts for styles, with Intro/Endings, Fills, Break/Mutes, 4 Variations, maybe a Riff?

How easy is it to do?

For me, at least, if I had to be content with ONLY the styles that the arranger came with (plus the few that the manufacturer themselves release for it), I would go crazy after a few months! Maybe MIDI styles aren't QUITE as good sounding as audio styles. But I'd rather have an arranger where I could make ANY style sound as good as the best ROM ones (with some editing) than one where I'm stuck with what I get in the first place...

#360537 - 02/06/13 08:01 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
travlin'easy Offline

Diki, you should buy a Yamaha - lots of third-party styles available. I have more than 50,000 of them, and I've just scratched the surface. Roland has some great, onboard styles, and I frequently use many of them that have been converted. I also use a fair number of converted Korg styles, and in most instances the conversions sound as good, if not better than the original.

I know, you're in love with that 50+ pound behemoth you lug from job to job, and maybe Roland will come up with something new in the next decade, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. The next time I travel to the sunny isles of South Florida I will probably be lugging an S-950. Maybe you could sneak a couple days away from work and head to Marathon Key and try it out. Who knows, you might like what you see, feel and hear.

Miracles can happen, you know,

Gary cool

#360551 - 02/06/13 08:43 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I truly believe that Yamaha doesn't want us to be able to edit audio drums, so they can sell us what we "need".
DonM

#360553 - 02/06/13 08:45 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I have loads of styles modified for particular songs. I'll sort one or two out later. For example if I want one for Moonlight In Vermont (The Sinatra version). I would look for a swing style around 64bpm, from Style View I would assign one of the lower voices to strings. On ch. 4 I would select Arps and Licks (A library of preset arpeggios and riffs) and maybe use nice mellow trombone, I would also assign a strumming 4 beat Les Paul guitar from the Live Guitar Bank, and maybe swap out the audio drums or groove for something more suitable. On the intro I would cut the drums completely and use strings and piano on channel one and two with an Acoustic Bass. That should give me a very simple but effective style

We have at our disposal the entire Ketron Legacy Style Library too (going back to the MS series).. we can dump the Midi drums and use suitable Audio drums in their place - takes only a couple of minutes to do that,

#360562 - 02/06/13 09:13 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Something Like this. Sorry, its not very well balanced but gives you an idea of what I mean:

Attachments
vermont.mp3 (54 downloads)
Description: Vermont

#360566 - 02/06/13 09:41 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
travlin'easy Offline

TWD, if you had a yamaha I could provide you with a great custom file.

Gary cool

#360568 - 02/06/13 09:52 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: travlin'easy]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi Gary,

Not to worry, we now have nearly as many excellent 3rd party styles available for the Audya as the figure you've quoted above. The era you are talking about is OVER for the Audya - no more.

And you will be astounded to know what can be achieved by starting with some of these already magnificent styles, and adding audio sections to it. I'm a happy & content man. I made the right choice.

Keep well my friend,

Henni

#360571 - 02/06/13 10:19 AM Re: The SZ Audio Drums vs Midi Drums Shootout [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I don't want anyone to think this s another 'mine is better than yours thread' It was not the intention. All the keyboards mentioned have great things to offer and are priced accordingly. The Audya costs more than a BK7 or PSR 950 and so you expect it to sound much better. But it seems many still don't understand Live audio fully or how much is available to Audya owners in the Style View editing mode.

As lovely as the Roland drum kit samples are (and they are very good) they are only as good as the style writer, changing the kits and effects cannot get around the programmers ability, (I think they must be keyboard players playing drums on a keyboard and then editing in a sequencer.) If Roland, Yamaha and Korg want to continue with Midi voicing they need to look at how they produce the styles - A Drummer and Midi Drum kit would make a huge difference to the end result. Perhaps they could afford to do this, wheras making the move to streaming technology as ketron have is probably not worth their while.

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online