SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#360139 - 02/02/13 12:15 PM Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............
Dnj Offline

Well I guess the cats out of the bag coffee...now let's talk about the Yamaha S950 shall we?.. cool2

Anyways as I said in a previous post converting Reg/Styles etc, to the S950 from the S910 or similar models etc, is a piece of cake with no problems at all,....just need to go over your registrations and possibly adjust some Instrument Vol,Eq's,etc. but for the most part flawless procedure.
I did however just learned that you CANNOT Save "AUDIO Files" to an external device USB drive etc,..only to internal RAM storage, gives you. I'll have more things to talk about in the next few days regarding the S950 for sure ...just too busy this weekend gigging to get into it. Let me also add that the speakers are quite improved also. In regards to storage MP3 USB drive LIMITS I have a MP3 file 2.38G (341 files) which opens and plays fine, BUT,.....another larger file with 6.20G (992 files) won't open and gives a TOO large error message:( ...so I have to find out what is the exact File LIMIT PER FOLDER...anyone know ?
So what are YOUR experiences with the S950 pro/con...
I for one would like to hear about them & discuss them here.

wave

Edited by Dnj (02/02/13 12:46 PM)

#360141 - 02/02/13 12:23 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I tested the s950 for the very first time
Today at my local store. First thing out of
The box it has more oooomph than the 910. Its drum
Kits sound more powerful and different. Instruments
Sound fantastic. I think the drums now sound better
Than pa3x, those dance styles shine. However 2 of
The audio styles failed to load. I told the guy to send
It back to yamaha

#360142 - 02/02/13 12:30 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: rolandfan]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: rolandfan
I tested the s950 for the very first time
Today at my local store. First thing out of
The box it has more oooomph than the 910. Its drum
Kits sound more powerful and different.

I noticed that myself first time I performed with it,..definitely more overall Gain with the S950 vs previous models. As for the drums I'm glad you said "different" not "better"....as that explains it correctly. Both sound wonderful now that I had the chance to really hear it at full performance levels on stage as I did last night at a large dance venue 250pp.

#360143 - 02/02/13 12:56 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Well I guess the cats out of the bag coffee...now let's talk about the Yamaha S950 shall we?.. cool2

Anyways as I said in a previous post converting Reg/Styles etc, to the S950 from the S910 or similar models etc, is a piece of cake with no problems at all,....just need to go over your registrations and possibly adjust some Instrument Vol,Eq's,etc. but for the most part flawless procedure.
I did however just learned that you CANNOT Save "AUDIO Files" to an external device USB drive etc,..only to internal RAM storage, gives you. I'll have more things to talk about in the next few days regarding the S950 for sure ...just too busy this weekend gigging to get into it. Let me also add that the speakers are quite improved also. In regards to storage MP3 USB drive LIMITS I have a MP3 file 2.38G (341 files) which opens and plays fine, BUT,.....another larger file with 6.20G (992 files) won't open and gives a TOO large error message:( ...so I have to find out what is the exact File LIMIT PER FOLDER...anyone know ?

wave

wave

Just a question. Why did you get a PSR after the Pa3x?

Curiosity.it's your choice of course .

#360144 - 02/02/13 01:01 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: jamman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: jamman

wave

wave

Just a question. Why did you get a PSR after the Pa3x?

Curiosity.it's your choice of course .

jamman I'd rather not discuss it openly here,email me if you want and maybe i can answer your concerns ok.....let's just talk S950 that's why I started this thread to maybe help myself and others who are S950 owners now.

take care..

Edited by Dnj (02/02/13 01:03 PM)

#360146 - 02/02/13 01:48 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Ok... stop please be careful if your using a MINI Type USB drive on the S950 as pictured..and thinking of leaving it in all the time. When the USB drive is inserted into the back of the S950 it only goes in half way leaving about 1/2" sticking out PROTRUDING the rear panel just enought to damage it mad this wasn't the case on the S910 where the USB drive sat almost flush in a "recessed back panel design",....... this is a Disaster waiting to happen if you keep your Kb on it's back in the case...it could certainly damage the unit and USB port for sure!! I'm putting the KB in the case BACKWARDS keys toward the rear of my case until I can either velcro some stiff foam in the rear with a space for the USB drive to raise it up a bit so no damage is caused...or keep it laying flat in your vehicle, IMO Yamaha needs to put the USB on deck somewhere in future models.....
Be careful. stop

Attachments
nano.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

Edited by Dnj (02/02/13 01:54 PM)

#360148 - 02/02/13 01:55 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Ouch that is bad design. I think I would actually remove it before putting it in the case. I just wouldn't risk the damage that could be caused.

#360149 - 02/02/13 02:09 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Ouch that is bad design. I think I would actually remove it before putting it in the case. I just wouldn't risk the damage that could be caused.

Nigel...I agree.....with my absentmindedness I will end up losing the USB drive or misplacing it,... confused2 But that's will have to be a strong option...maybe carry two,...keep one in my pocket, ...one in the KB case also.. frown
What were they thinking when they designed the unit.?
Oh well another workaround...so many GREAT Things .....and a few annoying ones. Go figure! confused1

#360153 - 02/02/13 02:43 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Maybe put some tiny, sticky, rubber feet (Radio Shack) around the area of the drive - it will cushion any bumps and ward off gremlins.

#360155 - 02/02/13 02:53 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Donny,

I have an S950 and I use the same mini USB you're showing above and It's been in my KB and in my case for months with never a problem. I haven't taken it out for months. Mine goes in all the way, not half way. No problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online