SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#360156 - 02/02/13 03:32 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Musicman22]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Musicman22
Donny,

I have an S950 and I use the same mini USB you're showing above and It's been in my KB and in my case for months with never a problem. I haven't taken it out for months. Mine goes in all the way, not half way. No problem.

Can you take a pic of it? That's weird??

Edited by Dnj (02/02/13 03:34 PM)

#360164 - 02/02/13 04:14 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Looks like the shelving underneath the USB drive ought to protect what little sticks out?

If not cut a piece of plastic JUST deep enough to protect the Cruzer Fit and superglue it JUST below the drive. Should do the trick unless your case is a VERY tight fit...

#360165 - 02/02/13 04:20 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
BTW, I think it is a bit disingenuous to refuse to talk about why you returned to Yamaha, after you were SO vocal in telling us why you chose the Korg (and how much better it was, everything else was outdated, yada, yada, yada!).

Surely you aren't embarrassed to discuss your public backtracking? I thought you were bigger than that. Your reasons may provide very useful discussion, and perhaps help others make the decision for themselves. Hiding away in private discussion seems a bit locking the stable door after the horse has bolted. If you have any qualms about public discussion of your decisions, why did they not surface about the decision to go Korg, as well?

Inquiring minds want to know... LOL

#360199 - 02/03/13 04:35 AM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Ok... stop please be careful if your using a MINI Type USB drive on the S950 as pictured..and thinking of leaving it in all the time. When the USB drive is inserted into the back of the S950 it only goes in half way leaving about 1/2" sticking out PROTRUDING the rear panel just enought to damage it mad this wasn't the case on the S910 where the USB drive sat almost flush in a "recessed back panel design",....... this is a Disaster waiting to happen if you keep your Kb on it's back in the case...it could certainly damage the unit and USB port for sure!! I'm putting the KB in the case BACKWARDS keys toward the rear of my case until I can either velcro some stiff foam in the rear with a space for the USB drive to raise it up a bit so no damage is caused...or keep it laying flat in your vehicle, IMO Yamaha needs to put the USB on deck somewhere in future models.....
Be careful. stop

This week I will be trying a few different 32G Nano disc drive from other manufactures besides my Sandisc for comparisons to see if they will sit in the rear of the KB USB port more FLUSH to alleviate this problem.

Edited by Dnj (02/03/13 04:37 AM)

#360219 - 02/03/13 07:45 AM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

ok, experiment is over,.. it's official after trying 7 different USB drives 4 Mini, 3 standard lengths they are ALL THE SAME & ALL Protrude the S950 KB rear panel by about 1/2"

part 2:.....Mp3 folder storage limits.

so far having approx 350 files (2.65G) in each folder works fine...I am still increasing folders 10 songs at a time to finally determine what exactly is the DATA Mb/Gb limit for each folder before error warnings pop up. confused1
To be continued.

Edited by Dnj (02/03/13 07:50 AM)

#360262 - 02/03/13 07:10 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

It's been a while since I checked out the Yamaha MusicSoft Style support pages...WOW!! what an array of support for Yamaha kewyboard owners...I'm impressed. clap

http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/category/Style%20Files/catalog

Edited by Dnj (02/03/13 07:12 PM)

#360353 - 02/04/13 04:27 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

The VH2 is a little bit better then VH1 was ....honestly still no comparison to the vocal "tracking" and sound quality of the PA3x VH...you have to really sing dead on center with the Vh2 there is no gimmies,....but overall I'm enjoying playing the S950 it's like a S910 pretty much with some nice extras in sound quality, style parts, and features. Speakers are excellent and fill the "in your face" scenario quite well..It's Still a great bang for the buck no two ways about it best MOTl Kb by far on the market.!!. It's Lightweight, Sexy looking, and in the right hands can deliver the goods without a doubt. Guitars sound amazing as is many of the other sounds, like growl sax, trumpets & strings, organs etc....yes it has that Tight CD quality output but it works so well when played all together. Sure there are some things that you will have to workaround, or hope in future models they change design & features, but for now I'm happy, makin' a living playing music every day, and audiences are happy that's all that matters. cool2

#360357 - 02/04/13 05:22 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
... Sexy looking, ...

I could NEVER apply that to a keyboard ... confused1 rotfl

#360358 - 02/04/13 05:25 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas

Some of us have had our S950s for nearly 5 months and have been gigging with them on a daily basis. Most of what Donny has posted is general knowledge. For those here who own the S950 I have tweaked nearly 500 styles including the Tyros 4 styles which will play very well on the S950. I have also done some registrations. All this can be found on the PSRtutorial website.

Yes, just about all of the styles from older keyboards play well without much if any adjustments. But, hasn't that been the case with all of Yamaha's keyboards.

At home I use a passive USB hub and keep two 16 gig thumb drives in it. I use one as a backup and keep it updated anytime I make any changes to anything. I always take both with me to gigs.

As Donny mentioned, the USB slot is not very well positioned and could be bumped and cause a problem if you are not careful. What strikes me as strange is why Yamaha did not continue using the same memory card setup as found on the PSR3000. Using an SD card which could be left in the keyboard would have solved the USB problem.

I disagree with Donny about the sax sounds - I think they suck as compared to all the other Yamaha keyboards I have owned. They are not full enough and often sound very weak. It is not a volume problem but seems to be a sampling issue.

All in all I think the S950 is a very nice keyboard - light weight - small foot print - and is about as close to the T4 as your going to get. I have not yet had any buyer's remorse.

Deane

#360361 - 02/04/13 05:32 PM Re: Let's Talk About the Yamaha S950............ [Re: hammer]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Deane, I will help you out...I get buyers remorse everytime you buy a new keyboard smile

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online