SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#359987 - 01/31/13 02:58 PM Re: PA3x v1.6 coolness revisited [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
G1000? What museum is THAT in, again please? The one to beat is the one IN USE, on stage.
smile

#359989 - 01/31/13 03:21 PM Re: PA3x v1.6 coolness revisited [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki
G1000 CS couldn't link the sequence to a Performance, so in gigging practical terms, not all THAT handy (I never used to use it).

But linked to a Performance, the possibilities are endless.

Yep 100% agree - and why the hell Korg did NOT write this into the OS is beyond me and many other users!! After all one CAN link a MIDI file to a Songbook entry (sysex - insert effects and all) so why this VERY simnple function was not is a mystery...

Dennis

#359990 - 01/31/13 03:34 PM Re: PA3x v1.6 coolness revisited [Re: Uncle Dave]
124 Offline

Fair chance it'll be on one of Korg's famous free updates - if they hear enough noise about it.

#359991 - 01/31/13 03:42 PM Re: PA3x v1.6 coolness revisited [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

My thought is this:
If something is so specific and important to you ... make a midi file or mp3 and play along with it. the c/s is SO easy to trigger in real time ... you hardy have to think about it. I think it's best used as intended, as a quick record ... sort of scratch tool.

#359992 - 01/31/13 03:53 PM Re: PA3x v1.6 coolness revisited [Re: Uncle Dave]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
My thought is this:
If something is so specific and important to you ... make a midi file or mp3 and play along with it. the c/s is SO easy to trigger in real time ... you hardy have to think about it. I think it's best used as intended, as a quick record ... sort of scratch tool.

Sorry UD, that (while being a valid operation and one that I do use as well) is beside the point...which is Korg should have already had it in the OS.

They were asked BEFORE the PA3 was released, well before.

Dennis

#359993 - 01/31/13 04:37 PM Re: PA3x v1.6 coolness revisited [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
UD, you are kind of missing the point. If you want to stay primarily in arranger mode, the CS allows a certain part of your performance to have the LH chores taken off your hands for a bit. But not the entire song.

Add to that, while the chords alone are recorded, what you DO with them is not. So you still have the option of kicking fills and variations wherever you want, even changing the style itself... something that no SMF, even with Markers, allows. And you can stop it and regain control over the chords at any time, and return to it easily, or even quickly record a new CS with altered chords. Again, something hard to pull off with SMF's.

It basically IS a 'Third Hand', not a complete crutch..!

#359994 - 01/31/13 04:38 PM Re: PA3x v1.6 coolness revisited [Re: 124]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: 124
Fair chance it'll be on one of Korg's famous free updates - if they hear enough noise about it.

And this is the bottom line... the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

#359997 - 01/31/13 04:58 PM Re: PA3x v1.6 coolness revisited [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

There were a LOT of entreaties to Korg priorto the PA3 release Diki, private as well as public!!!

Now they have released the update, with still no change (apart from a bugfix)tends to make me believe they either don't get it, don't care, or are just ignoring the request...

Maybe it will find its way onto a PA4.....who knows, maybe Roland have something around the corner wink

Dennis

#359999 - 01/31/13 05:28 PM Re: PA3x v1.6 coolness revisited [Re: miden]
Uncle Dave Offline

Dennis,
You're describing the role of a sequence, not a quick scratch pad for instant freedom of one hand. I can't imagine why Korg would think it's something needed. They have the Backing sequence recorder, the MP3 recorder ... they're set in the sequence department. The c/s is a different animal entirely. I suggest trying to use it as intended and see if the advantages become clear. if not - it may not be for you.

#360003 - 01/31/13 05:38 PM Re: PA3x v1.6 coolness revisited [Re: Uncle Dave]
miden Offline

Dave I have used it - for what it does it is fine. But the ability to save any particular CS to the same Songbook entry as the song is a very valuable and useful thing...

I mean the chord progression of any song is still going to be the same, and why should one need to bother to constantly re-record a CS every time that song is chosen.

Not much point you suggest me trying to use it - I was using it WELL before you were wink on the PA3 (I never used the Roland one)...I know this as I bought the second one into Australia, and Korg Italy had not even released it in the USA at that time smile

Dennis

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online