SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#359632 - 01/27/13 06:24 AM FYI KORG Pa3x vs Pa2x.............
Dnj Offline

Some info if your thinking of upgrading......

- 24 oscillators per sound
- extra DNC features like 2 groups of circle (1 & 2) where a wave sequencing can be achieved , legato Up & Down as function
as supplement to legato function.
- Lossless sample Compression of 512 Mb to fit at 256 ram expansion , which means double memory (so keep your compatible Ram).
MAXXAudio features are great.
The TC vocal harmonizer is outstanding - many more features.
The PA3X has much greater capacity for storing styles.
New styles are well up to Korg's great standard.
Mute & select buttons for the UPPER/LOWER parts (real-time track select).
PAD buttons now toggle on & off
Quick chord record is great (chord sequencer).
Faster loading time (battery for standby)
Auto-fill option is a bonus
(...and it looks good... wink

- ST-BY Ram battery with result of 90 sec booting time even with 512 Mb compressed user samples.
- Though Pa3X DAC chipset seems similar to Pa2X , output filtering designing makes the difference in sound clarity that is outstanding !
- Max audio with two important features , multi band parametric equalizer and global gain control that can be saved as preset !
- Overall mechanical structure is more qualitative than Pa2X Pro
- 76/61 versions keybed
-Though Pa3X is an arranger KB , it's the most advanced sampler in the market especially for sound development !

Reference: http://www.korgforums.com

Edited by Dnj (01/27/13 06:31 AM)

#359633 - 01/27/13 06:39 AM Re: FYI KORG Pa3x vs Pa2x............. [Re: Dnj]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I read a few reviews saying the pa3x sounds almost
The same as the pa1x. Now I don't know myself cos I've
Heard a pa3x only..and for what its worth it sounded
Very nice to me. I am currently stuck on a buying decision
Between the pa3x and the s950. I like the s950 for its sounds
And styles and ease of use...but maybe I'm starting to get
Bored with yamaha..but the pa3x operating system seems
Too complex for me frown

#359637 - 01/27/13 07:21 AM Re: FYI KORG Pa3x vs Pa2x............. [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Just about any new (new to you) operating system has a learning curve..
There are some I dislike or like better on certain models...most of the time it is because we are use to the system...but with a little effort they all can be learned..

The best OS will depend on your needs..

OS that uses cursors, drive me crazy when live on stage..at home or studio, much less of a problem..The Roland Prelude is an example..I liked the board, but cursors........

Some other boards I have owned were similar...a pain to use on stage as a live board...Roland JunoG, Juno Stage, Yamaha PSR models, and Korg PA800,and MicroArranger to mention a few..
Other models that are a breeze on stage because they have dedicated buttons and dedicated selections on a touch screen..The Roland E 50,60,80 and G70, I have found the best for this..

Now fortunately, most folks here basically use auto play and one touch settings, combined with songbooks and registrations...so the real OS control as a "live" instrument really doesn't matter.
This is the opposite direction I want with a stage instrument...this is why you will always hear me say I rather use the G70 over my BK5 or MediaStation, not just because I am use to it, I also get around decently on the BK5 and MS...dedicated buttons and great touch screen control are the difference on a live keyboard..

On the surface, if money was not a factor, and you like the sounds of the PA3x equally as much as the PSR s950, I believe the advantages of a touch screen and the better features on the Korg, including higher quality components, would make it an easy choice...
Of course if you are like Uncle Dave ..you need the speakers... smile

#359642 - 01/27/13 07:36 AM Re: FYI KORG Pa3x vs Pa2x............. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Good post Fran.....no two ways about it the KORG Pa3x is an awesome piece of gear!

#359643 - 01/27/13 07:36 AM Re: FYI KORG Pa3x vs Pa2x............. [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've used most everything, from operator programming on DX7's to VAST programming for Kurzweils... I have to confess, as arrangers go, the Korg TOTL arrangers are as complicated and arcane as they come. Basically, the complexity is tripled over most arrangers, because not only do you get a complex TOTL arranger, you get a TOTL synth programming section, with far more options and complexity than most arrangers. Basically, you get a full Triton plus DNC voice architecture (it's not quite up to Kronos depth, but it is virtually a Triton with extras), then you get a FULL sampler, virtually no programming shortcuts compared to other Korg samplers.

Add to that a FULL Songbook function and multiple voice and Performance storage options, and basically, this is as complex a keyboard as any TOTL WS.

If you want to get the most out of the PA3x, and are coming from Roland or Yamaha, you certainly have a steep learning curve to deal with. Add to that, and many of the Korg's functions and nomenclature is quite different from Roland and Yamaha, and many of the ease of use functions (especially from Roland) are missing or less effective. It's almost like starting from scratch for many things.

It can do a LOT, but that flexibility comes at the price of formidable complexity. Use it at its most basic, and yes, you can probably grok it fairly quickly. But if you want to avail yourself of everything it can do, be prepared to shed for months!

#359646 - 01/27/13 07:47 AM Re: FYI KORG Pa3x vs Pa2x............. [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

With the KORG pa3x you can make it as EASY or as deeply intuitive as you want digging into the awesome Os functions to create music.
Yea the G70 is a nice arranger KB even with the weight issues...but lets face it its getting a bit old in it's technology. NOT a bad thing just a bit dated....to some its fine ...but to others who want to stay with today's technology it pales in comparison. I personally have NO PROBLEMS performing every night on stage with my KORG PA3x it does so many things to serves MY needs in a spectacular fashion. The easy to use on board deck layout and navigation is amazing for the live KB performer....and YES I have played & performed with my G70,Tyros,Sd1,S910..etc,etc,etc,.. and so many more KB's...We can talk all we want on here till we're blue in the face, but baby I gotta "HEAR IT" to believe it, headphone until then it's just endless "mine is better then yours" over and over again, which gets old fast. Less talk more playing I say! piano
That said I love my KORG PA3x !! keys clap

Edited by Dnj (01/27/13 07:50 AM)

#359688 - 01/27/13 07:03 PM Re: FYI KORG Pa3x vs Pa2x............. [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But I doubt you have done any in depth voice programming yet, or used the sampler at all... You're about 20-30% of the way in, Donny!

BTW, my post wasn't a criticism of the Korg's... Anything this deep and comprehensive, you should EXPECT it to be complicated!

#359693 - 01/27/13 07:15 PM Re: FYI KORG Pa3x vs Pa2x............. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I use what I need......but I'm glad It's there just in case!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online